• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berkeley Comic Con Show Report
2 2

87 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This is the bright future of "Comic Cons" folks. Shows like this, Terry's show, and the Torpedo show give me hope that vintage comic book collecting and selling live is not dead. The West Coast rocks guys. I hope to see more of these type of comic centric one-day shows pop up all over the country. Looks like you kids had some fun!

I love to see all the buyers lined up at the booths looking at comics.  I think these shows are indeed the future.  You won't find aisles as crowded in the comic book area of SDCC.

For those who had the chance to attend the show, what was your impression overall of the dealer's pricing?  I collect mainly mid to high grade (8.0 to 9.2) 60's and 70's books (specifically Marvel, DC and Archies) and usually end up buying most of my stuff off of ebay, where I'm usually able to get lower prices than I see from other dealers that set up at the bigger shows (SDCC, Wondercon, LA Comic Con, ect...)  I'm just wondering if I should plan out a trip from Los Angeles for the next show.  If the pricing and selection is comparable to ebay, I'll have to make some time. LOL

40 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

There's more books in that room than the last 3 Wizard shows that I've been to combined! Would love to find something like that around here.

Get a partner and set up your own comic-centric local :smile: show out of a community center or church hall.

16 hours ago, solm4st3r said:

That's me in the back with the Giant Size X-Men 1 shirt. Edgerx took most of my money. I think I sold him some books on the boards long ago. Who knew I was buying from the same guy lol.

IMG_4447.JPG.0dc0595334dd149c32692c9a3803cc51.JPG

I love the 'Gift Shop' sign.  Wouldn't everyone want comics as gifts?

On 8/8/2018 at 3:04 PM, revat said:

A few things.

1.  Northern California is very expensive in terms of cost of living, so in general prices for things aren't too low.

2.  Given the above, comics are actually somewhat cheaper relative to the cost of living as pricing is somewhat similar for old and new comics across America.

I think those are very savvy comments. I've often wrestled with the fact that in a national mail order marketplace (plus other countries, mainly English-speaking ones, of course) prices and supply can even out but I have to pay Berkeley office rates and CA and local tax rates. It is offset in some cases by having strong local buyers and a big metro area. But imagine if I was back in small town Michigan where I could literally rent a 7500 square foot retail space with 6000 foot basement for like $1500 a month... That could be quite a catalog operation. Being here, it leads to a bit more of a boutique mindset, stocking more vintage and more hard-to-find stuff. Doing more wantlist searching for people. Having oddball specialties like war comics or Katy Keene or whatever.

3.  Even given the above, I think non-key comics at these Norcal smaller-ish local shows from the 60's and 70's are pretty reasonable in pricing, IF you can find what you want.  If you want to impress your casual comic friends with the first wolverine or 1st fantastic four to display, I would expect to pay as much or more than other places.  If you want solid comics to fill the deep annals of your specific collection, from the 50's-70's, I've been able to buy in a way that doesn't make me sad or angry. 

I had someone tell me today this past weekend was his favorite show of the eight we've put on. He said he bought from all but three vendors. So he found books he wanted at prices he could stand (and he works for a nonprofit) from at least ten vendors. I carefully select the vendors and of course we have a huge pct. that are board members, so grading is way better than ebay or even the average comic dealer. If you look at the tales of woe we sometimes get on the boards about horrible prices at shows and terrible grading, I don't think we have that. If terms of the original post, I think it sort of depends if you've already put the time in to find ebay sellers whose grading you like and who provide a lot of books. They might be operating out of their house in a cheaper part of the country and might not have other options for selling books where by definition our vendors have shows, ebay, the boards, plus a growing number using Instagram and Facebook. So it's not screaming deals all the time but I think it's fair Dale Roberts posted something on the boards a few years ago that has stuck with me--something along the lines of the dealers with good books at 50% off don't seem to last long. It's not really that sustainable. For me, i used to sell at 30% off and found that 20% is a better balance that balances customer expectations or desires with the economic reality of restocking books and the cost of carrying inventory until it finds the right person. There are cheaper and more expensive people in the room, every time. In terms of the high grade books we're discussing, the 8.0s to 9.2s, I find they disappear online pretty well because they are uncommon. Look at My Comic Shop and you'll see on most vintage books they can't keep higher grade in stock.

4.  If you've got a decent sized-list, its probably worth coming up from LA if you can do other stuff (visit friends, hit some restaurants, play in SF) too.  In the event you decide to come, you can probably PM some of the guys in this thread with lists of what you're looking for ahead of time and possibly make a more informed decision to see if its worth it.

That's always smart and we've been having a few people come up from LA lately for the show so there could even be carpool opportunities, who knows. There is one comics bonus to coming up because you can also put in a few shop or warehouse visits. Ie, you can come visit my office the day before or day after (I have boxes of high grade vintage books I don't bring to the show), we've got multiple other vendors that you could probably also visit at their shop or storage or whatever and see an even broader inventory.

Megabus coming from LA to Oakland say Nov 2 at night would be around $32.50 one-way. Going home Sat night Nov 3 would be $17.50. Might be cheaper than gas actually depending on your mileage/ wear and tear. (The 2018 business mileage expense rate is 54.5 cents per mile if you're expensing it or writing it off though...)

I might have to check out the November 3 one. :wishluck:

Considering my daily train commute costs about $16 (including parking) for a 32 minute ride... yeah, I'd say it's an intriguing 7 hour idea...hm

This is also a conduit to the Southern California Conventions.

Edited by sckao