• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee - No longer doing public signings
3 3

54 posts in this topic

This may have already been posted somewhere but figured it was worth the mention.  I don't buy signed books nor do I have them signed but there's some relevant information outside of the signing restrictions.  I wasn't aware they were having to tell him what his name is.  Seems like its time Stan stops and smells the roses a bit.  

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/05/stan-lee-no-longer-public-signings/

I don't actively buy signed books either. I was lucky enough to meet folks like Frank Miller, Todd McFarlane in the early 90's and I cherish the books they signed,,,I don't believe I paid anything,,,,,it was fun chatting with them and saying thanks,,,,,,,Stan is definitely someone I'd like to thank,,,,but I suppose everyone else has thanked him enough,,,,,what a career,,,,,

Why does he have to sign books any more? Why force him to do anything he may not want to do? Let him enjoy what little(?) time he h

as left. I know fans want his sig, but the people handling him seem to just exploit him for monetary gain. 

Edited by jaeldubyoo

10 hours ago, comicquant said:

This may have already been posted somewhere but figured it was worth the mention.  I don't buy signed books nor do I have them signed but there's some relevant information outside of the signing restrictions.  I wasn't aware they were having to tell him what his name is.  Seems like its time Stan stops and smells the roses a bit.  

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/05/stan-lee-no-longer-public-signings/

The sad thing is that this has probably been going on for much longer than people realize. Fiddy posted this recently.  The theory is that Stan was influenced by the word 'Spalding' in the ad.  This was signed on 4/22/17:

Link

VGYfl2D.jpg

Certification Information

Certification #: 1508452009
Title: X-Men
Issue: 101
Issue Date: 10/76
Issue Year: 1976
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 9.8
Total Graded At: 117
Page Quality: WHITE
Grade Date: 05/12/2017
Category: Signature
Art Comments: Chris Claremont story
Dave Cockrum & Frank Chiaramonte art
Dave Cockrum cover
Key Comments: Origin & 1st appearance of Phoenix.
Black Tom Cassidy &
Juggernaut appearance.
Signatures: SIGNED BY STAN LEE ON 4/22/17 ON BACK COVER
Grader Notes: None Available

It appears the only thing that’s changed is that they’re no longer  offering the expensive meet-and-greets; Stan’s still signing stuff.

It seems his handlers realized that yelling at him in public was bad optics, though it didn’t seem to actually deter anyone from spending money. 

Now they’ll just be yelling at him behind closed doors. 

And they’re still using Desert/Celestial Winds as an exclusive facilitator. 

Lovely. 

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I hope this is actually true for Stan's own well being.

On another note, this is the first I've heard of Celestial Wind being involved in the creation of those sadistic blood ink comics.  Is that actually true?

Re-reading their comment here, it's hard to tell whether they knew about it or not.  The implication seems to be that they provided the raw copy of the book but appear to lay the blame on the blood ink itself on Avengers STATION.

3 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Why does he have to sign books any more? Why force him to do anything he may not want to do? Let him enjoy what little(?) time he h

as left. I know fans want his sig, but the people handling him seem to just exploit him for monetary gain. 

He has always said he does it because he likes meeting the fans.

55 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Right! There comes a point where it's quite sad that this poor man is being carted off from place to place, he barely knows where the hell he is, and trying to remember his name to sign. All in the name of profit? If there is anybody truly looking out for his well being ,they should let the poor man relax in his last days.

I dunno.  I would rather see him at shows signing, than not see him in public.  At his age it's good that he keeps a very active life.  He has a huge fan following, especially from teens/early 20s.  My kids have never really read comic books and they know who Stan Lee is from all those cameos.  They love seeing him!

55 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Re-reading their comment here, it's hard to tell whether they knew about it or not.  The implication seems to be that they provided the raw copy of the book but appear to lay the blame on the blood ink itself on Avengers STATION.

Man that thread still makes me sick...

Anyway, seems to me Celestial Wind knew full well about what was going on with the blood ink.  In fact, this here -- "Copies of this variant have been made available through Avengers Station located in Las Vegas. Avengers Station is working with Stan Lee’s Hands of Respect and is offering a special copy of this cover. The details of the Stan Lee Solvent DNA Ink will be made available online shortly." makes me think they were willing participants in it, at the minimum by willingly providing the books to those S.T.A.T.I.O.N. vultures.

4 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Man that thread still makes me sick...

Anyway, seems to me Celestial Wind knew full well about what was going on with the blood ink.  In fact, this here -- "Copies of this variant have been made available through Avengers Station located in Las Vegas. Avengers Station is working with Stan Lee’s Hands of Respect and is offering a special copy of this cover. The details of the Stan Lee Solvent DNA Ink will be made available online shortly." makes me think they were willing participants in it, at the minimum by willingly providing the books to those S.T.A.T.I.O.N. vultures.

Even if they weren’t directly involved in the blood ink situation, wasn’t Desert/Celestial Wind the facilitator that got called out a while back for not actually actively watching the signings they were supposed to be facilitating?

And now all of Stan’s signings are going to be done privately?

I’m probably being a bit too tin-foil but that combined with the quality of Stan’s “caretakers” sounds like a recipe for shananigans. 

15 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Even if they weren’t directly involved in the blood ink situation, wasn’t Desert/Celestial Wind the facilitator that got called out a while back for not actually actively watching the signings they were supposed to be facilitating?

I’m probably being a bit too tin-foil but that combined with the quality of Stan’s “caretakers” sounds like a recipe for shananigans. 

Not at all.  In fact, I think you pointed out a great reason not to trust any Stan Lee yellow labels bearing a date >= 8/6/2018.

17 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I don't think DW/CC are exclusive facilitators for those private signings.  Other facilitators are advertising the private signings which makes me think that all facilitators bring their books on an agreed upon date.  Spots also seem far more limited than in the past.

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't think DW/CC are exclusive facilitators for those private signings.  Other facilitators are advertising the private signings which makes me think that all facilitators bring their books on an agreed upon date.  Spots also seem far more limited than in the past.

This is true. Though I have heard it touted that DSwind/celestial, was exclusive at con's.... I also found that not to be true either. 

Since Stan no longer seems to be going to con's, I assume private signings will include reputable facilitators :wishluck: 

5 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I do agree that with Stan's declining eye sight and his physical degeneration that comes with old age, I would much rather have a book signed by him from a few years ago when his sig was more legible.

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is true. Though I have heard it touted that DSwind/celestial, was exclusive at con's.... I also found that not to be true either. 

Since Stan no longer seems to be going to con's, I assume private signings will include reputable facilitators :wishluck: 

If I recall, after the fallout with Excelsior, DW/CC stepped in as official facilitator for an event or two where there was no representation.  But I suppose that's all moot if he's just doing private signings now.

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

If I recall, after the fallout with Excelsior, DW/CC stepped in as official facilitator for an event or two where there was no representation.  But I suppose that's all moot if he's just doing private signings now.

I think it may have been in this thread, but someone stated that they were limiting books during these signings, something like 400 books a day. As Stan was, after that point, no longer producing quality sigs. 

Point being that it may be over several days, but I'm curious if it will be more or less frequent than McFarlane signings......?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
than