• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee - No longer doing public signings
3 3

54 posts in this topic

The last time that I had Stan sign a comic was last year about this time, and while the sig was legible enough, they gave him a "fat" marker.

I see these new one's done with thin sharpie, and it makes me question if they are "trying harder" to get quality.

Stan's people keep posting videos with Stan, in person, replying to fans via facebook. While I do feel that Stan needs a break and the best quality care in life possible right now, it would seem that the "fan's" are still a very integral component to "him". He seems genuinely interested, but I wonder how much of this is necessary. I don't want him over exerted, but sitting at home making videos doesn't seem too taxing. I hope when I'm his age that enough people are willing to make a fuss over me :foryou:  

Unfortunately this type of elderly abuse (there's no other name for it) occurs more frequently than not.  There are many of these cases in our local news but when there's a famous person involved it really comes to the public's attention.  It brings to mind my favorite comedian, Groucho, who was continually pushed forward by his "caretaker" Erin Fleming to do stand-up shows and appearances, even when he was a shell of his former self.   In a case of karmic comeuppance she was later removed from his business dealings, lost a hefty amount in a settlement with his estate, sunk into a dementia of her own and eventually took her life.

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

I dunno.  I would rather see him at shows signing, than not see him in public.  At his age it's good that he keeps a very active life.  He has a huge fan following, especially from teens/early 20s.  My kids have never really read comic books and they know who Stan Lee is from all those cameos.  They love seeing him!

He doesn't need the money.

He doesn't need the pressure.

If he truly enjoys meeting the fans, he could do so without the monetary and logistical pressures being imposed on him.

It's becoming increasingly hard to believe that he isn't simply being sucked dry by his management and his fans.

At this point, even if I wanted a sig I wouldn't ask one of him, knowing what I know now.

I can just buy his sig online on nearly anything he's ever worked on with no more pressure or impediment to him.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

As Stan was, after that point, no longer producing quality sigs. 

It's a dark corner of the hobby when someone worries about the quality of a sig more than the well being of the person.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It's a dark corner of the hobby when someone worries about the quality of a sig more than the well being of the person.

I agree

But I also have to wonder how much of this is Stan wanting to feel useful, attached to work, life, fans, career, and as I said there are recent Facebook posts where Stan addresses these topics from the comfort of home. 

I believe that "he" wants to lead people away from the thought of abuse, because when he is gone, that is not how he wants to be remembered. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But I also have to wonder how much of this is Stan wanting to feel useful, attached to work, life, fans, career, and as I said there are recent Facebook posts where Stan addresses these topics from the comfort of home. 

I believe that "he" wants to lead people away from the thought of abuse, because when he is gone, that is not how he wants to be remembered. 

The way to do that is to meet fans, talk to them and not be forced to sign anything else.

I've met countless legends that way - Carmen Infantino, Don Heck, Al Felstein.

If you want to contribute, you buy something but take the pressure off of the person on the other side of the table.

That would be much more satisfying IMO than just forcing 400 sigs a day.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

The way to do that is to meet fans, talk to them and not be forced to sign anything else.

If you want to contribute, you buy something but take the pressure off of the person on the other side of the table.

I never said any of that 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I never said any of that 

Maybe I'm reading something that is not there.... :sorry:

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I never said any of that 

Maybe I'm reading something that is not there.... :sorry:

I didn't mean to imply that you did say anything in regards to what I posted.

I was simply speaking my mind and posting my opinion and happened to piggy back it off of your post.

:foryou:

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I firmly believe that Stan still likes to do things for the fans.  Last year, his wife passed away a week before D23 and the question was whether he would still make an appearance.  There were no signings at D23.  It was purely an event for him to be honored as a Disney Legend.  Despite the recent loss, Stan still attended the expo.  He had an easy out and no one would have faulted him for not being there.  But he still went because he loved the fans.

I think his heart is in the right place and that some of the people who surround him and guide him could afford to be a little more vocal about taking better care of him.  Perhaps fewer sigs, more intermittent breaks, etc.

3 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I firmly believe that Stan still likes to do things for the fans.  Last year, his wife passed away a week before D23 and the question was whether he would still make an appearance.  There were no signings at D23.  It was purely an event for him to be honored as a Disney Legend.  Despite the recent loss, Stan still attended the expo.  He had an easy out and no one would have faulted him for not being there.  But he still went because he loved the fans.

I think his heart is in the right place and that some of the people who surround him and guide him could afford to be a little more vocal about taking better care of him.  Perhaps fewer sigs, more intermittent breaks, etc.

It's hard for me, because I believe this also lol and with what @VintageComics was saying, but it is hard to figure out with the "pr clean-up" what is Stan's thoughts or "his" people....

the whole thing just seems tainted and sad, but this is why I put "he" in quotes..... AND my bad VINTAGE :foryou: it all just seems unfixable and is frustrating :sorry: 

22 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

54 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree

+1  But, I will say that when someone pays the huge amount of money being charged for his sig, I can't blame them. That, and the totaly impersonal experience attached to it. But, I also don't think a lot of these people are "fans" at all.  I have never paid for an autograph and never will. I have signed books from just about every GA/SA artist and creator. I also have the excellent experience of being in their presence for a few minutes. I have never sold any of these books and don't plan on doing it. I also have no "signature" slabbed books just great memories of meeting people that were important to me. 

34 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

+1  But, I will say that when someone pays the huge amount of money being charged for his sig, I can't blame them. That, and the totaly impersonal experience attached to it. But, I also don't think a lot of these people are "fans" at all.  I have never paid for an autograph and never will. I have signed books from just about every GA/SA artist and creator. I also have the excellent experience of being in their presence for a few minutes. I have never sold any of these books and don't plan on doing it. I also have no "signature" slabbed books just great memories of meeting people that were important to me. 

The abuse of selling Stan's Sigs after posing as a 'fan' is why I stated he doesn't really need to sign anything any more.

If it's the fan experience, both sides can have that experience without a signature, and if you simply MUST have a Stan sig, it's likely the most abundant sig in the hobby.

Again, just my opinions as a person. I will admit that I'm not a sig guy at all so my opinion is biased by that but I have bought Stan Lee sig books in the past just to own one.

My one and only meeting with Stan was both funny and a little revealing at the same time.

I bumped into him at Wizard World Chicago as he was entering a restaurant and I stated to him "I know this happens a lot..."

He replied smiling, stating "Oh son, it happens far too often."