• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee - No longer doing public signings
3 3

54 posts in this topic

I noticed a huge change in his demeanor and attention span from a show in 2015 to a show in 2017.  In 2015 he was upbeat, smiling, even spoke a Spanish sentence to the guy in front of me.   In 2017- misery.  He looked tired, was quiet and seemed a bit disoriented.  Don't know if it was just the day, or if a 2 years time span truly made a difference.  Retire Stan, you owe nobody a thing. 

He does seem Ok in his movie cameos, which from all accounts he loves.

As for signings - I don't have one, but would love one - but not at the detriment of a 95+ yr old guy who quite frankly should be lying in the sun sipping a pina colada with a shapely young lass.

Leave the guy in peace, and let him enjoy his last years.

I'll buy a SS Stan Lee comic on here, or through a trusted guy like Joey or Adam - not his "minders"

Go enjoy your life Stan!

Deadpool-2-Stan-Lee-Cameo.jpg.3c6dc91e31f3fa8470f8f14b4a66eb0a.jpg

" To be very clear, Stan is 100% not doing any conventions / public signings. "

That's not very clear at all. Is he doing NO conventions (not even his own LA Comic Con?) anymore? Or is he just not doing any SIGNINGS at conventions?

In any case, sort of glad to hear Stan's "handlers" are reigning in his workload. Hope he's being better cared for now.

On 8/6/2018 at 1:36 PM, ygogolak said:

He has always said he does it because he likes meeting the fans.

18 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

How many fans is he meeting at private signings?

So you're saying he's being forced to do private signings?

13 hours ago, jcjames said:

" To be very clear, Stan is 100% not doing any conventions / public signings. "

That's not very clear at all. Is he doing NO conventions (not even his own LA Comic Con?) anymore? Or is he just not doing any SIGNINGS at conventions?

In any case, sort of glad to hear Stan's "handlers" are reigning in his workload. Hope he's being better cared for now.

I don't think Stan Lee is affiliated with 'LA Comic Con' anymore. They are not promoting his name with that convention like they have in years past. Makes me wonder how much investment he had in that show to begin with, since it was implied in the past that he had a stake in it.

14 hours ago, Beige said:

He does seem Ok in his movie cameos, which from all accounts he loves.

As for signings - I don't have one, but would love one - but not at the detriment of a 95+ yr old guy who quite frankly should be lying in the sun sipping a pina colada with a shapely young lass.

Leave the guy in peace, and let him enjoy his last years.

I'll buy a SS Stan Lee comic on here, or through a trusted guy like Joey or Adam - not his "minders"

Go enjoy your life Stan!

Deadpool-2-Stan-Lee-Cameo.jpg.3c6dc91e31f3fa8470f8f14b4a66eb0a.jpg

Who says these are his "last years"? If Jeanne Calment (122 years old) had been written off at 95, whoever pegged those as "her last years" would have been off by 27 years. I hope Stan lives to be 1000. Unless things start to slough off.

Jeanne-Calment-1996.jpg

IDK..... I'm kind of happy to see him finally..... really …. retire.  I wonder if he needed to sign auto's and go to conventions ?  I mean, is is going to take up gardening now ?  I can't see it.  His life is fandom 

On 8/6/2018 at 8:24 PM, Mercury Man said:

I noticed a huge change in his demeanor and attention span from a show in 2015 to a show in 2017.  In 2015 he was upbeat, smiling, even spoke a Spanish sentence to the guy in front of me.   In 2017- misery.  He looked tired, was quiet and seemed a bit disoriented.  Don't know if it was just the day, or if a 2 years time span truly made a difference.  Retire Stan, you owe nobody a thing. 

Well, his wife died. That was his soulmate for over 60 years. That could explain it.

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Well, his wife died. That was his soulmate for over 60 years. That could explain it.

Actually her death occurred about 1 1/2 months after that 2017 show.   I am glad he is done going out.  I skipped his signature

a few months later at a Fall 2017 show, 30 minutes from my house, the closest he has ever been.   The 'experience' just isn't worth it anymore. 

On 8/10/2018 at 6:37 AM, Senormac said:

IDK..... I'm kind of happy to see him finally..... really …. retire.  I wonder if he needed to sign auto's and go to conventions ?  I mean, is is going to take up gardening now ?  I can't see it.  His life is fandom 

Thank God that ole trickster is finally done defacing soo many books with his big black marker.

43 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
53 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Thank God that ole trickster is finally done defacing soo many books with his big black marker.

That's the way I see it too.:applause:

81dYVHWqKgL._SY445_.jpg

IMG_0204.PNG.2b3f0374a6b158f9e1723c6817a

Stan is like the opposite of the character The Living Eraser -- he's The Living Marker

21 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That and the age factor. Throw in all the leeches and money grabbers. The man is tired. He still loves the medium and his place in it. And he loves his fans. A very sad ending to a brilliant career...

On 8/6/2018 at 9:57 AM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

The sad thing is that this has probably been going on for much longer than people realize. Fiddy posted this recently.  The theory is that Stan was influenced by the word 'Spalding' in the ad.  This was signed on 4/22/17:

Link

VGYfl2D.jpg

Certification Information

Certification #: 1508452009
Title: X-Men
Issue: 101
Issue Date: 10/76
Issue Year: 1976
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 9.8
Total Graded At: 117
Page Quality: WHITE
Grade Date: 05/12/2017
Category: Signature
Art Comments: Chris Claremont story
Dave Cockrum & Frank Chiaramonte art
Dave Cockrum cover
Key Comments: Origin & 1st appearance of Phoenix.
Black Tom Cassidy &
Juggernaut appearance.
Signatures: SIGNED BY STAN LEE ON 4/22/17 ON BACK COVER
Grader Notes: None Available

Wow, his mind is slipping.  It's amazing that he continued (if he is officially retired) signing in 90's like I used to admire "Banana" George Blair did his barefooting stunt until he ceased it at 93 before he was passed away at 98. You can see him on youTube: