• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patrick Stewart is back as Captain Picard
3 3

311 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

They played a trailer before my TROS showing, it was better than ROS too.  Made me sad CBS is hiding this behind their pay to play firewall.

Right? They should do it like Disney+ with The Mandalorian and the future MCU streaming shows and...

hm

Wait a minute!

(:

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Right? They should do it like Disney+ with The Mandalorian and the future MCU streaming shows and...

hm

Wait a minute!

(:

Until streaming actually becomes price competitive to switch over, I'll just stick with the convenience of Comcast that I've enjoyed for 15 years and counting.  Streaming will dominate eventually, but I'm betting by that point the major cable companies will have adapted their business models to get with the times.  Or they won't, and I'll have to switch to streaming service(s) by default (thumbsu

Till then, oh well.

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Until streaming actually becomes price competitive to switch over, I'll just stick with the convenience of Comcast that I've enjoyed for 15 years and counting.  Streaming will dominate eventually, but I'm betting by that point the major cable companies will have adapted their business models to get with the times.  Or they won't, and I'll have to switch to streaming service(s) by default (thumbsu

Till then, oh well.

Season 1 and 2 of Discovery were fantastic. CBS really invested heavy in the episode CGI. And the good thing is both are now available on DVD, bluray and digital. If you get the chance, you should give them a try.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Season 1 and 2 of Discovery were fantastic. CBS really invested heavy in the episode CGI. And the good thing is both are now available on DVD, bluray and digital. If you get the chance, you should give them a try.

Maybe I'll give it a second chance if I get another opportunity to watch for free.  I did watch the first episode that aired on big CBS, and I found the best part of it to be the Broncos/Packers game that bled into my DVR recording.  

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Maybe I'll give it a second chance if I get another opportunity to watch for free.  I did watch the first episode that aired on big CBS, and I found the best part of it to be the Broncos/Packers game that bled into my DVR recording.  

:roflmao:

emotion01.gif.cc576bba015267b1b597141510183259.gif

29 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

i enjoyed season 1 of disco quite a bit. i re-subscribed when season 2 came out, but found it unwatchably bad, and could not complete it. so much virtue signaling, bad writing, manipulative plotting to try and hook viewers ( we're gonna see spock! no, guess not yet) etc. really turned me off to cbs all access, even though i love next gen. hard to imagine the picard show wont suffer many of the same flaws. 

Edited by www.alexgross.com

5 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i enjoyed season 1 of disco quite a bit. i re-subscribed when season 2 came out, but found it unwatchably bad, and could not complete it. so much virtue signaling, bad writing, manipulative plotting to try and hook viewers ( we're gonna see spock! no, guess not yet) etc. really turned me off to cbs all access, even though i love next gen. hard to imagine the picard show wont suffer many of the same flaws. 

Season 1 is definitely stronger than Season 2. But unwatchable? That's quite extreme.

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

hm

Wait a minute!

(:

Time for Disney to buy Paramount from CBS.  Or just buy CBS.  Or just buy Viacom.  Whatever it takes, Iger, get to it!  :sumo:

Now he really is that old baldheaded British guy they've got playing Kirk on Star Trek we used to hear about back in the late '80's.

That's one old baldheaded British dude playing Kirk on Star Trek.  

OK Just watched it. Very solid production value combined with good story telling that's building a story. We got just the building blocks of something more.

Wonderful cinematography. I really liked it. No major problems. As someone who wasn't much of a fan of ST: Discovery, I really liked this one right away. 

If you liked Next Gen I strongly suspect you'll want to see this.

Edited by Rip

'First, Last And Always, I Am A Fan': Michael Chabon Steers Latest 'Star Trek'

Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Michael Chabon has been a devoted Star Trek fan since he was 10 years old — but when people ask whether it's a "dream come true" to be a showrunner and executive producer on Star Trek: Picard he says no.

"I say 'no' because I never would have had the ... chutzpah to dream that," Chabon says. "I would have been happy just shaking Patrick Stewart's hand and telling him how much I loved him on Star Trek. But to be able to actually write words that he will speak and act? It's incredible."

Chabon's Los Angeles office — filled with knickknacks and posters — is the lair of a serious Trekkie. There's a black velvet painting of a menacing lizard-man called a Gorn (Chabon can even name the classic Trek episode, "Arena," in which he appears.) An old-school, polyester Mr. Spock Halloween costume sits in a box on a nearby shelf. A bulletin board beside the door is decorated with photos of people dressed as Star Trek characters. You might think they're friends and family but turns out, they're strangers — Chabon bought the pictures on eBay.

"That's sort of my shrine to fandom," says Chabon, who makes little secret of his love for pop culture. "As soon as you enter into making Star Trek, you enter into a relationship with fans ... that's very different from your relationship to Star Trek."

Star Trek: Picard is the latest high-profile project to revive a venerated corner of the Trek universe — this time for the streaming TV service CBS All Access. Chabon says that for some fans, watching a new version of an old franchise they love can feel like a series of slaps in the face — even if they like the new story.

"It still reminds you that you don't own it, that it's owned by a big corporation, and that ultimately, you have no power over it whatsoever ... [which] can feed a sense of resentment or anger," he adds. "I think I just created that shrine there as a way of reminding myself that first, last and always, I am a fan. I want to stay a fan."

Edited by Bosco685