• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patrick Stewart is back as Captain Picard
3 3

311 posts in this topic

It's just so refreshing to read folks reflecting back on original show episodes because of how well executed the new show was achieved. Versus the new show failing at its attempts, so nostalgia leads to wishing for earlier better days.

And the way the ending was accomplished where old comrades naturally just come together for a casual game while enjoying each other's company. It just felt right. Like when TOS cast would end a movie journey, and come back together to rely on each other's friendship and trustworthy support.

So perfectly Star Trek.

I enjoyed it.

I was expecting a bloodbath, but on reflection,, this was 100% the way to end.

A few gripes:

Michelle Hurd gets a gig on NCC 1701G...... they kept her, and not Shaw :facepalm:

The rescue...well Aliens called and Bishop wants his royalties...

And Q..... I'm just not sure, but the cynic in me thinks that one Wesley Crusher will return as a sibling  - a Q vs Borg thing.  You can guarantee the Borg WILL be back.

Just small things.

Seven is a great choice as Captain, not sure about Jack's role as 'advisor' - but the rest of the Bridge seem spot on, esp Helmswoman LaForge.

Lot to look forward to.

Anyone know when the new series starts, or it's name?

Edited by Beige

There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

On such a full sea are we now afloat;
And we must take the current when it serves,

Or lose our ventures. (Act IV, Sc.3, Julius Caesar)

Homage. Recreated with passion and integrity, homage is a wonderful way to acknowledge the love one has for something genuine in the past.  "The Last Generation", indeed the entire series, delivered it 'in spades'. Whether it was the voice of President Anton Chekov Jr. broadcasting (!) the warning to begin the episode, a cameo by Tuvok, Picard's reflecting on journeys past and future through the words of Brutus to Cassius, Data vying to finish his limerick from the episode 'The Naked Now' (itself a homage to TOS's episode 'The Naked Time'), or the last scene of friends gathered around the memorable poker table (was hoping to hear a Worfism like "Klingons never bluff", or "All these wild cards. It is difficult to know what exactly is in my hand."), homage represents continuation of something cherished. Many of us here on the Boards have lamented the limited homage honoured in the recent phase of MCU films, when we know those stories we read long ago were cherished in our hearts.  I am speaking of those who are old enough to have grown up with the stories, or those who read them even though they were crafted long before they were born. Like some episodes in TNG, there were duds released by Marvel, but the core was solid.  Picard, Season 3, remembered this core, and the core that was developed in other series. Disney could learn much from what Picard S3 gave us over the past 2 months.

I know there will be those who disagree with what I'm about to say, and that's okay. Picard S3 is quite easily the best short sci-fi series I've ever seen. And, to echo @Beige above, there is a lot to look forward to. It's odd how, when something authentic is paid true homage, it can act as a catalyst for new ideas in the future.

"Young mortal, you have much ahead of you." Q, Mid-credit scene, "The Last Generation"

I'm going to admit to a surprisingly emotional reaction to the final two episodes of this series.  Given my age, I should probably be more of an Original Series fan, but it turns out I may be more of a TNG fan (BBC America runs that show constantly). Even the hackneyed "A New Hope" solution couldn't dampen my enthusiasm.  Bad engineer gonna bad engineer.

I've said for years I don't understand why they don't use the transporter as a weapon all the time.  I think there's one OS episode where they beam something or someone into "Deep space, widest possible angle of dispersion" but that should be the initial move.  They rarely use it.

Anyway, enjoyed the hell out of this series (really all 3 seasons).

On 4/21/2023 at 11:49 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I'm going to admit to a surprisingly emotional reaction to the final two episodes of this series.  Given my age, I should probably be more of an Original Series fan, but it turns out I may be more of a TNG fan (BBC America runs that show constantly). Even the hackneyed "A New Hope" solution couldn't dampen my enthusiasm.  Bad engineer gonna bad engineer.

I've said for years I don't understand why they don't use the transporter as a weapon all the time.  I think there's one OS episode where they beam something or someone into "Deep space, widest possible angle of dispersion" but that should be the initial move.  They rarely use it.

Anyway, enjoyed the hell out of this series (really all 3 seasons).

I think if there were somehow a feasible way to transport, we can be pretty sure there would be some type of encoded protections  on objects  in advanced civilizations. I.e. one would need to hack into a system to gain access to transporting objects.

On 4/23/2023 at 4:32 PM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

Series was amazing. Very impressed. Time to initiate a new Star Gate series.

Hell yes.

I LOVED Stargate 'Universe' - it was smart, and really heading somewhere - Stargate for adults.

The fanboys got it pulled sadly.

I would HOPE that they redid Universe - again spending $$$ on well known actors (Carlysle, Phillips were in the original) - and start at the beginning again.

An ancients ship, capable of sucking energy from the Stars themselves, on a voyage of Star Trek like importance - sign me up!

Stargate Universe, very much like Serenity, was only missed when it was gone.