• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

429 posts in this topic

I noticed and was rather surprised at the following sale of Famous Funnies #213 in the just recently completed Heritage Auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/famous-funnies-213-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7189-91035.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

From my point of view, that was a rather astounding price of $6K for a CGC 8.0 copy of Famous Funnies 213 since the census report indicates 3 higher graded copies along with a total of 6 copies in this same VF 8.0 grade.  In addition, this appears to be the first time that one of these Frazetta Famous Funnies covers have gone past the $3K range without being somewhere in the uber high grades (i.e. CGC 9.4 or 9.6). :whatthe:

Just wondering if this auction result is just an one-off between 2 overly aggressive bidders or if these multiples to guide are going to once again be an indication of the new normal for these classic Frazetta covers?  I remember these particular issues going for huge multiples to guide a couple of decades ago and then seem to slow down to only slight premiums to guide as Overstreet began raising the valuations for them.  Or is it possible that this is being considered as the best cover out of this classic bunch and hence, is finally getting recognition as this Frazetta run has not exactly been setting the marketplace on fire recently?  Of course, it doesn't really help that most of their sales occur well over a full decade ago with not many copies coming into the marketplace during the past few years.  hm

Since we are on the topic of the Frazetta Famous Funnies covers, which issue out of this classic but short run is everybody's favorite cover image?  My own personal choice would be between this FF 213 and the FF 214 red moon cover (especially in eye popping high grade colors), although I do absolutely love the color combinations of Famous Funnies 211.  :cloud9:

What say you and any technical geniuses here that knows how to set up a survey?

Edited by lou_fine

My order:

214 (red moon)

215 (octopus)

211 (shooting ogres(?) while holding back aggressive girl)

212 (saving girl from space and flying saucer)

209 (shooting ogres(?) while holding fainting girl)

210 (undersea alien)

213 (bad anatomy)

216 (explosion)

213 is tough in grade in relation to the other issues. The price was about what I expected.

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

213 is tough in grade in relation to the other issues. The price was about what I expected. 

There are also people who like it because it's inspired by Wally Wood's classic style for EC but, even with that, it went for more than I expected.  Prices for 50s books this year often vary widely from my expectations so I'm much less confident predicting than I used to be.

Famous Funnies 217 was supposed to be the cover to Weird Science Fantasy 29 until it was rejected as too violent.  It's my favorite of the 9. 

How many more amazing covers might Frazetta have produced if Frazetta had been allowed to continue with either company?

Edited by adamstrange

44 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
49 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I was the underbidder so blame me

I guess you weren't interested in the slightly lower graded CGC 7.0 copies that they had available on Heritage a few years ago?  hm

I believe they only managed to fetch only in the $1K range or thereabouts at the time. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I guess you weren't interested in the slightly lower graded CGC 7.0 copies that they had available on Heritage a few years ago?  hm

I believe they only managed to fetch only in the $1K range or thereabouts at the time. 

It seems like EVERYBODY is after these books lately.  I'm not saying the run hasn't always been popular, but now it's got some crazy heat on it.

The 213 in the Heritage auction looks terrific for the grade and it is a tough issue above 7.0. It also happens to be my favorite cover followed by 214. I’m just happy I already have a nice set of these books but upgrading my 213 eventually will be very cost prohibitive!

Ken

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

My order:

214 (red moon)

Certainly can't argue at all with your first choice here. (thumbsu

If you can find this particular issue in uber high grade condition with strong vivid colors, it is absolutely gorgeous as the bright red moon just seems to pop right off the front cover.  :cloud9:

Is it valid at all to think that the ceiling is being raised for Atom Age books overall?

The late 40s and 50s books used to feel like afterthoughts; something to pursue after one completed Silver and/or Gold. What I’m seeing now leads me to believe that those days are over.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Overstreet start publishing a top 100 Atom list.

213 is my favorite as well, and I was hoping to upgrade my current copy. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I can't complain too much though, as I was able to pick up nice copies of the whole run at once thanks to these boards... back before finding reasonably priced fifties books (and buying on here) became almost impossible!

27 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Is it valid at all to think that the ceiling is being raised for Atom Age books overall?

The late 40s and 50s books used to feel like afterthoughts; something to pursue after one completed Silver and/or Gold. What I’m seeing now leads me to believe that those days are over.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Overstreet start publishing a top 100 Atom list.

I have always collected them from the first time I was exposed to them. At the time, they were pretty much unknown and dirt cheap. I quickly realized how cool and varied they were in scope. You could get quite the pile at a show for the cost of a couple GA DCs or Timelys. Sooo glad I did...