• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kids hate comic stores
1 1

90 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Senormac said:

:applause:  you mean condition was not important ? !!!  AWESOME !! 

Nope not at all. These ASM's were in the 150-250 run area and were probably VG at best readers. He was holding onto them like a treasure. Made me smile. I told the owner if he comes in again to just put the next stack on my tab. I think he had 9-10 issues and spent $10. He was digging and flipping through those boxes like a pro!

17 hours ago, tv horror said:

I grew up with these titles that I bought with my pocket money and I enjoyed everyone.

UK-FANTASTIC-01.jpg

Love this fantastic cover with "Fantastic" mentioned eight times without the FF.

Of UK original comics, I love the awesome "Fantastic" Dan Dare.

1 hour ago, BitterOldMan said:

Love this fantastic cover with "Fantastic" mentioned eight times without the FF.

Of UK original comics, I love the awesome "Fantastic" Dan Dare.

Then you'll love this reader who also liked Dan Dare can you guess WHO it is?

who_cushing.jpg

Edited by tv horror

it's like this circular riddle that can never be solved: generally speaking kids today don't care about comics, yet back issue prices are beyond insane so who's gonna buy our comics we hold so dear? I don't mean the obvious winners like AF15 but what about my copy of ASM 238 complete with Tattooz decal someone removed from FF 252 and placed in my ASM issue to increase value which SHOULD not increase the value because the decal's slow degradation will eventually effect paper quality inside my ASM. 

ASM 238 WITHOUT TATTOOZ DECAL IS NOT INCOMPLETE!  IS IH181 INCOMPLETE WITH A MARK JEWELERS INSERT?  Oh these kids today drive me insane

4 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I found a photo also I'm sorry to hear about the break in. Please forgive the next statement "At least they weren't comic readers!"

amazing-238-sean-2.png

I jest.

It was sorta a riff on someone's market report in the latest OSPG in which two pages were spent on the entire Tattooz drama of does it make the comic complete or incomplete. Don't know what's sadder that someone someone spent two pages on the subject or that I read those two pages transfixed. Calls to Robert Overstreet were made yet the dilemma continues:  Without the Tattooz decal is the book complete or incomplete ???

My local shops are full of kids on Friday and Saturday nights. They have gaming tournaments and when they are on their breaks and not 
their phones they are reading comics. It might not be the way it used to be, but kids are still reading them. 

Marvel and DC really are more a tax write anymore so unless they get serious about producing good quality comics that are not
$4 an issue that will never change. 

The kids are still there and yes they are different then we were, but comics have to change too. We tend to forget that sometimes.

Kids like to have fun and comic shops are no fun at all, just serious "nerd" adults. Comics themselves are no longer fun at all, it's all this super serious, self aware boring c-r-a-p and all about collecting and condition and too expensive. Comics went from cheap throwaway, fun, silly kids stuff to this ultra serious c-r-a-p. I'd hate it if i was a kid too. I am 40 something and hate it.

Edited by catman76
fixed unnecessary censorship

To me, shops need to be overhauled.  

Even as an adult, long boxes are old news and look like a storage locker.  

In a local shop, they have about 10-15% of the wall with visual books.  The other 85% is filled with junk (not comics).  I just don't understand it as that's what most people look at when they fist come in.  And I don't think it's a lack of quality books to post (in fact, they are not posting books because "there is no more room"). 

Rather than seeing 150-200 long boxes, strip down to the primary components in the open store and put the others in the back for requests.  

I'm walking into more and more stores that are filled with so much junk that will never sell.  Tons of newer figures that no one wanted on release day, anime seems to have come and gone in interest, tons of graphic novels with dust, etc.  

I'm not a big Magic fan, but have a clean area with tables (this is still clearly a national cash cow and the closest tie to youth and comics).  Nice visual assortment on all walls for comics.  Clearly nice area for new weekly comics as that is a strong money maker for many shops.  And kill the glut of Indies from the 80s and 90s that 1 person looks at annually (and doesn't buy). 

Patrick 

I don't go to the LCS that often these days, (maybe once every couple months) but thinking about it now, I would have to say I have NEVER seen any "kids" in there...… and it's a nice shop.  I guess I just figured that the shop is tailored for the kids of yesterday who are now grown up 

Edited by Senormac

18 hours ago, bc said:

Spinner racks and shelves were in almost every convenient store, pharmacy, supermarket and gas station when I was a kid - you didn't need to go to some other area of town (or another town over) to buy comics. Easy access at a reasonable price got me collecting as a young teen - now you'd need to be at least 16 to be able to drive yourself to an LCS every week instead of walking 5 minutes to the corner store. Parents and relatives could easily buy comics for kids as they didn't have to go out of their way (like many of us, my parents bought me comics as bribes which started me on this lifelong journey).

Between chores and odd jobs I could buy a small stack of books every week and each book was good for 20 minutes of "value". Now the price seems high for a teenager and you can read one in 5 minutes. 

But my comics were my personal "escape time". Nowadays there are just too many other ways to escape boredom or get thru a rainy day if you are not an over-subscribed kid. Plus the pull of social media platforms doesn't really foster personal downtime and personal preferences, it's more of group acceptance thing that is promoted all day and all night. Never had to worry if others thought it was cool or not if was reading Ghost Rider in the tree fort.

Just some ramblings from a 50 something year old fool (:

-bc

I get it and know what you are saying. That was how I spent my time when I was a kid. Every time when I went with my mom or dad for shopping, my first stop was the spinner rack, or wall rack or shelves wherever the comics are. Many times my mom would let me go by the spinner rack and tell me to stay where I am, while she goes do her clothes shopping (mommy stuff). She’d return back with her shopping done, and here I am still by the rack ... reading comics. 

I get to pick a few comics to buy to take home. These were the best days when the comics were better in storytelling in simple fun ways. Not like what I’m seeing in today’s comics. Lot of seriousness in so many ways. Where’s the fun go? Honestly... I like reading the old classic Superman more than I would with present Superman. 

As times goes by, I continue on reading and collecting, while I watched generations of kids picking the comics has changed. Slowly gone were the spinner racks in gorcery and drug stores as comic book stores rise and fell throughout the ages to fewer numbers in both stores and comics.

Yet the comic book continue on surviving being printed and picked to look at. What does the kid of today think of that? Do they hate being in a comic book store or love being in it?

I do, and that is coming from another 50-hovering something year old fool.  :foryou: