• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kids hate comic stores
1 1

90 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

All this leads to wonder, who will buy all these collections we're all piling up now?   :$

Don't worry - that cliff is 20 - 30 years from now and we could all be radioactive mutants by then.

I have two kids( boy and a girl) 10 and 14. 

If I had a dollar for every time I got asked to take them to the comic store I would not have to work. 

I have seen lots of kids there age at cons and at stores. I guess it just depends on your area.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:03 AM, Brian48 said:

All this leads to wonder, who will buy all these collections we're all piling up now?   :$

If I can just manage to outlive all of you codgers by a few months, long enough to swindle your clueless offspring, buying your beloved collections for pennies on the dollar, then I can die happy.

On the serious side, our niece is 10, and I've been giving her comix on and off since she started reading. She has a real love of the Archie books, and since the Wonder Woman movie came out, is now interested in WW and some of the DC animated books. We took her to the comic shop I grew up frequenting, and she was so excited by all of the Archies, she made a BIIIG stack. She hasn't asked to go back yet, but when she does, I'll be happy to take her!

23 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

On the serious side, our niece is 10, and I've been giving her comix on and off since she started reading. She has a real love of the Archie books, and since the Wonder Woman movie came out, is now interested in WW and some of the DC animated books. We took her to the comic shop I grew up frequenting, and she was so excited by all of the Archies, she made a BIIIG stack. She hasn't asked to go back yet, but when she does, I'll be happy to take her!

C'mon, do the 4 star stuff, don't stop till you get enough! :whistle:  (thumbsu 

I think there are some kids that are still interested.  The problem is entry into the hobby, for both kids and adults.  $24 to get one complete story ($3.99 comic x 6 part story) that may, in turn, require knowledge of previous story lines versus a .$99 iPhone game app. 

Report on 3 LCS's in Dallas, with a little concerning toward their policies and attendance to get readers in..... it's long but read if you feel like it :foryou: 

At the LCS nearest me, there are kids that come in with their parents all the time. I can hear them in the background, saying, "oooh here is this character" and such, and discussing with the parents what they can afford that day. The parents are doing their due diligence, I'll give you that. They'll be siblings or just friends, discussing movie, comic plots, action figures, statues, the whole lot. It is worth mentioning that this LCS does NOT hold Magic the Gathering tournaments but does sell the packs of cards and starter decks. This LCS seems to get in new collections, most recently Avengers #1-200 and Iron Man 1-200. They're keeping in business. The do not however allow customers to submit to CGC and will only have CGC books sparingly or will submit higher end books, such as the Avengers #1-3, Iron Man #55, etc..... does keep books in mylar, has comic boxes, but no CGC boxes, has magazine mylar and boards etc.

The LCS with what I call the "good stuff", which when people ask me what location to visit when visiting Dallas I say try this one, however has a sign outside that say's, "no kids under the age of 18, unless accompanied by adult". The owner is a bit more eccentric or a tad abrasive, however deals on the higher end and allows customer's to submit to CGC and has sideshow statues along with pricier books. I call it more "adult friendly", but they do have a designated kids section with toys and children's books along with comics. Again, worth noting that this place does not sell nor does anything Magic the Gathering related. IT is still doing well in business! has everything CGC boxes, comic boxes, doesn't use "mylar" per se but most everything is bagged and boarded. 

Another LCS (in Dallas there is a lot of them) caters to Magic the Gathering, seldom has anything older, but does have many "new" books. They usually are not bagged and boarded, with minimal statues, they do sell comic boxes. Haven't visited this one a bunch, but the kids are usually just playing Magic the Gathering...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/9/2018 at 12:37 PM, crazyhips said:

I think there are some kids that are still interested.  The problem is entry into the hobby, for both kids and adults.  $24 to get one complete story ($3.99 comic x 6 part story) that may, in turn, require knowledge of previous story lines versus a .$99 iPhone game app. 

I think you nailed it. Comics continuity is dead compared to when most of us got into the hobby. You could pick up a Marvel or DC comic pre 2000 and it was easy to catch up with their universes, while now today the comic book universes are both a mess to try to learn what's going on.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think you nailed it. Comics continuity is dead compared to when most of us got into the hobby. You could pick up a Marvel or DC comic pre 2000 and it was easy to catch up with their universes, while now today the comic book universes are both a mess to try to learn what's going on.

Agreed. DC and Marvel needs to create 1 dollar comics for all kids... 

On 8/7/2018 at 10:41 PM, followtheleader said:

To me, shops need to be overhauled.  

Even as an adult, long boxes are old news and look like a storage locker.  

In a local shop, they have about 10-15% of the wall with visual books.  The other 85% is filled with junk (not comics).  I just don't understand it as that's what most people look at when they fist come in.  And I don't think it's a lack of quality books to post (in fact, they are not posting books because "there is no more room"). 

Rather than seeing 150-200 long boxes, strip down to the primary components in the open store and put the others in the back for requests.  

I'm walking into more and more stores that are filled with so much junk that will never sell.  Tons of newer figures that no one wanted on release day, anime seems to have come and gone in interest, tons of graphic novels with dust, etc.  

I'm not a big Magic fan, but have a clean area with tables (this is still clearly a national cash cow and the closest tie to youth and comics).  Nice visual assortment on all walls for comics.  Clearly nice area for new weekly comics as that is a strong money maker for many shops.  And kill the glut of Indies from the 80s and 90s that 1 person looks at annually (and doesn't buy). 

Patrick 

Good post.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Couple of my local shops have overhauled quite a bit.

One shop offers video game tournaments in one room, another room has about 20 vintage video games they pay $5 and they play all long as they want., They have back issues and newer
issues as well as supplies. They also carry a ton of Toys, records, and video games.

Other shop is all about card games, added a huge TPB section and carries a large amount of comics with a few vintage video games they copied from other stores.

Comic stores are changing. The ones that don't will die unless they cater to a specific niche with good customers.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:41 PM, followtheleader said:

Rather than seeing 150-200 long boxes, strip down to the primary components in the open store and put the others in the back for requests.  

I strongly disagree with this point.  You're more likely to buy something after touching it, that's an established sales principle.  Comics have to be out in the selling area, or they mostly won't move.  We all may have more refined tastes now, but when you were starting out, how many comics did you buy just because they looked cool?  Even now, flipping through a box will tempt me to buy comics I wasn't looking for, or even aware of, especially when they're discounted.  Go back to when you were a novice collector, never having seen many books before, and tell me you knew exactly what to ask for, compared to what you've since collected, or are collecting today.

Keys, Amazing Spider-Man, Batman, Deadpool, and movie-of-the-month books don't need help selling, but that'll be a minute portion of anyone's sell stock.  If I need a dozen issues of Incredible Hulk between 200-300, do you think I'm going to make you pull two long boxes off a shelf in the back, and drag them up front, or bother you to pull the singles out?  Unless the clerk looks young AND fresh AND bored, I'm probably not going to make you do all that work for what might end up a $10-20 transaction.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Complex and expensive crossovers are a major problem.

Not just the cost, but the organisational factor of reading many different titles in the correct order to create a seamless continuity rather than confuse the storyline and possibly encounter spoilers, and, often expecting the reader to buy many issues with minute-to-zero impact on the main narrative. 

DC’s Forever Evil is a good, relatively recent example of this type of marketing overkill, especially its Villains Month.

Edited by Ken Aldred