• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

amazing Spider-Man 18 final page coming up on HA
2 2

97 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

He may not be the consignor if he was spotted with it a few years ago...

He had it at SD this year and mentioned to me Heritage was interested in the piece, of course they are! Lol

9 hours ago, inovrmihd said:

Wasn't this the page at San Diego with a $350k (or was it $325k) asking price? 

Yes.  I thought it was $325K, but, it might have been $350K. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Yes.  I thought it was $325K, but, it might have been $350K. 

Clearly overpriced regardless because if it was worth that much it would have sold for that much.

11 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I remember seeing an ad in the CBG circa 1979 selling pages of original art from this book and FF 35.  The ad offered only certain pages from both books. 

I seem to remember each page being offered at $92 ea which I found to be a totally bizarre price.  Add to this the fact that the seller was "Rockaway" from the Carolinas using a PO Box.

I was just getting into original art at the time.  I had neither FF 35 nor SM 18 so I had no idea what was on any of the pages offered.  

To show my naivety, I sent my $184 requesting a page from each book to this PO box ...I left it up to the seller to surprise me lol  I guess that I figured that they must be legit if they were advertising in CBG lol  

Well, I received a page from each book all right.  I got page 2 from FF 35 and page 19 from SM 18.  Neither one was a particularly great page but these were the first pages of comic art that I ever owned and I was thrilled about getting them nonetheless.

Anyone out there know who Rockaway was?

Do you still have those 2 pages?

12 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

It's an $80,000 page to me (shrug) 

I think that you're in the ballpark.  Is it possible that the auction ends with "Reserve not met"?

Edited by pemart1966

Using my "A level" criteria.

Is it by an iconic artist? Yes.

Is it of an iconic character? Yes

Is it by an iconic artist during an iconic run depicting his signature character? Yes.

Is it from an important story line during an iconic run of an iconic character? Yes.

Is it a quintessential example of an iconic artist's run depicting his or her signature character? No. It's probably in the mid to bottom 3rd of images from the Ditko Spidey run.

I think it has to check every box to be an A-level piece. Therefore, given all of the above, this is, at best, a B to B+ piece. It ticks off almost all of the boxes. The only thing keeping it from being a true A level piece is the subpar (for Ditko) Spidey image. If this was one of the top 5 all-time Spidey story lines, and this was a big plot moment in that story, it might creep into A territory. I don't think it is (although some may disagree). But, that's just MY opinion. As always, YMMV.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On the one hand it's conceptually a great page between the 2/3 splash and the great dialogue and meaningful content.  But darn that Spidey figure looks wonky in so many ways.  For that range of asking price, I cannot see how one wouldn't a better splash or for much less money, an action page. 

The whole “letters” system?   What do we need it for when we have numbers ;) A 100k piece is a 100k piece whether  it’s an A, B, C, or K.

20 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

On the one hand it's conceptually a great page between the 2/3 splash and the great dialogue and meaningful content.  But darn that Spidey figure looks wonky in so many ways.  For that range of asking price, I cannot see how one wouldn't a better splash or for much less money, an action page. 

Where, exactly, would one be able to find a better splash? And for less money? (shrug)

15 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Where, exactly, would one be able to find a better splash? And for less money? (shrug)

First, it's not a true splash, it's a splash-y interior page or a 2/3rds splash.  

Second, I bet there are some 3/3rds splashes (a.k.a. full splashes) you could pry loose for that kind of money.  The last sale that I'm aware of for a full splash was around $275K cash/trade in 2016.  That splash might be worth more now, but, it probably would still have a "3" handle in front of it (and it was a pretty good one IMO).  I can also think of some lesser splashes (not, not the fish splash!) that I suspect their owners would let go for less. 

Third, let's not forget that Ditko was rumored to have a number of complete stories, including 2 Spideys, in his possession when he passed (sorry, can't divulge specifics).  Will that supply be hitting the auction block in the coming months?   

Fourth, you could probably get 2 exceptional interiors or 3 generally awesome pages for the same price, even in this sizzling, white-hot Ditko ASM market.  Wonkiness not included.   

Fifth, OK, if you have to have a Ditko splash...er, splash-y page, that's one thing, but, $325K is as much or more than a number of Romita twice-up ASM covers are worth, including some good ones.  Also more than all but a very few small art ASM covers.  I just don't think that price makes any kind of sense. :sorry: