• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

amazing Spider-Man 18 final page coming up on HA
2 2

97 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

So what if he’s going to bid on it?!  I asked why he would price it for on his site.

Hey! Because, if he said he'd put it for $425,000 and gave his reasons, and then attempted to take it down at heritage, he might have more competition. Instead, he won't give any inkling as to what he'd sell it for, so that he might lessen potential competition. 

9 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Why is this a rumor that you can't divulge specifics on? Ditko stated several times in his "All New" series that he received back two complete Spidey stories.

EGO. And Innuendo. 

Childish yes but I suppose that is human nature. ?

It is kind of amusing though. Well, I’m amused ?. But I have a funny sense of humor. 

On 8/9/2018 at 6:09 PM, John S. said:

Mike, as Ironmandrd said, this was definately one of his hidden stash when I saw it, and it was definately not for all to see at that show. I can't comment about what he did with it at the next show he was at, but it was not on his wall at that NYCC, on any of the days.

I've seen this at EVERY SHOW I've been to where we were both set up at the past 2+ years on his wall. Including this year's San Diego con..as well as last years San Diego con..(never hidden for choice collectors eyes only)...its not a hidden gem...it's a beauty that should be admired and seen by fans of Steve Ditko!

Edited by romitaman
grammar errors

18 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Maybe he saw Mike coming, and quickly whipped it out so it was prominently on the wall whenever Mike walked by? :baiting:

i didn't have to ever "walk by" to see it...i sat at my booth with Bechara DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM ME for the past 2-3 years in san diego and stared at it on his back wall every hour of every day with all of his other spectacular artwork.

i did inquire about it just once last year or 2 years ago in San Diego when it again..was on his back wall every day.........once he told me his price...i stopped inquiring and i admired it from that point after as i would admire art in a museum.

Edited by romitaman

19 hours ago, delekkerste said:
20 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Why is this a rumor that you can't divulge specifics on? Ditko stated several times in his "All New" series that he received back two complete Spidey stories.

Not my place to tell specifics unless Ditko already said which issues of everything he got back. (shrug) 

@Crowzilla  -just tryin' to help; maybe you already know all this, but seeing it all in one place helps.

-Here's something from the CAF forum that was posted a while back.  Obviously the status of some of the Ditko ASM issues has changed a bit since this was posted, and I can't personally guarantee the accuracy of all the data (but the author of the list is pretty well-respected), so looking at this it's pretty easy to at least narrow down which of the books Ditko may have got back (the list even makes a good guess that ASM 5 & 38 would be the issues in question).

According to this list, there's only issues 11,14,15,17 & 19 unaccounted for, beside issues 5 & 38.   I'd bet it could be narrowed down even further.

I did some updating on the fly myself, noted in red.  I probably could have added a little more, but I'm tired and wanna go to bed.

Amaz Fantasy #15 - pgs exist (one showed up @ NY Con in 1990)   donated to the Library of Congress
ASM #1 - reportedly complete  seen by collector Bechara Maalouf, according to his interview on Glen Brunswick's site, so not with Ditko
ASM #2, 3, 4 - unknown but some rumors (but the pin-up to #3 does exist)  seen by collector Bechara Maalouf, according to his interview on Glen Brunswick's site, so not with Ditko
ASM #5 - in the hands of Steve D!?
ASM #6 - if you don't know...where have you been...woof-woof ;)
ASM #7, 8, 9 - pgs in the market (#8 was complete until recently)
ASM #10 - complete  broken up
ASM #11 - ???
ASM #12, 13 - pgs available (let me know @ pg 10 - I want it!)
ASM #14, 15 - someone please tell me!!!
ASM #16 - pg seen for sale in CBG in late 80's
ASM #17 - ???
ASM #18 - pgs available
ASM #19 - one of my favorites...but where, oh where is it!!?
ASM #20 - complete (in the hands of a long-time Marvel associate) now owned by RomitaMan & displayed on his site (thanks, Mike!)
ASM #21 - pgs available (this is the one split-up, not #24)
ASM #22 - copy of one pg seen by Glen  pages sold on Heritage
ASM #23 - pgs available
ASM #24, 25, 26 - all complete (no Mike #24 was not split)
ASM #27 - pgs available
ASM #28 - wish the owner would have taken my offer on this book!
ASM #29 - pgs available
ASM #30, 31 - both complete  issue 31 bought at Hake's Auction & broken up
ASM #32 - pgs available
ASM #33 - complete...you lucky guy!  now owned by RomitaMan & displayed on his site (thanks, Mike!)
ASM #34, 35, 36, 37 - pgs available (#36 & 37 broken up in recent times)
ASM #38 - in the hands of Ditko?
ASM Ann #1 - complete but the possible owner won't "fess up"
ASM Ann #2 - story intact but pin-ups available

Edited by Unca Ben

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

So what if he’s going to bid on it?!  I asked why he would price it for on his site.

if I had it on my site i'd price it a less than Bechara......(Just being honest)  but by my saying that.....I believe you have to base art prices also on what you have into it, as well as what the current market is based on supply and demand for key stuff...... I have no idea what he has into it,  but it could also be consignment as Bechara has a lot of great high end art that he says is consignment.....But we all who sell art (Collector and dealer) have our own personal methods to how we sell art to make the most cost benefit to ourselves. I feel i'm a fair guy to deal with and i will come down on art prices based on how long I've had them on my ROMITAMAN website, and if i feel that money (if i sell at a discount) can be used more advantageously for other art purchases with those proceeds then I do the deal and don't look back. That's how I go into EVERY art negotiation.....Others do not do what I do and that is certainly their choice. Bechara is a damn good business man or he would not have all of the amazing art that he has privately as well as publicly over the years..

Edited by romitaman
grammar errors

4 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

@Crowzilla  -just tryin' to help; maybe you already know all this, but seeing it all in one place helps.

-Here's something from the CAF forum that was posted a while back.  Obviously the status of some of the Ditko ASM issues has changed a bit since this was posted, and I can't personally guarantee the accuracy of all the data (but the author of the list is pretty well-respected), so looking at this it's pretty easy to at least narrow down which of the books Ditko may have got back (the list even makes a good guess that ASM 5 & 38 would be the issues in question).

According to this list, there's only issues 11,14,15,17 & 19 unaccounted for, beside issues 5 & 38.   I'd bet it could be narrowed down even further.

I did some updating on the fly myself, noted in red.  I probably could have added a little more, but I'm tired and wanna go to bed.

Amaz Fantasy #15 - pgs exist (one showed up @ NY Con in 1990)   donated to the Library of Congress
ASM #1 - reportedly complete  seen by collector Bechara Maalouf, according to his interview on Glen Brunswick's site, so not with Ditko
ASM #2, 3, 4 - unknown but some rumors (but the pin-up to #3 does exist)  seen by collector Bechara Maalouf, according to his interview on Glen Brunswick's site, so not with Ditko
ASM #11 - ???
ASM #17 - ???
ASM #18 - pgs available
ASM #20 - complete (in the hands of a long-time Marvel associate) now owned by RomitaMan & displayed on his site (thanks, Mike!)
ASM #23 - pgs available
ASM #27 - pgs available
ASM #29 - pgs available
ASM #32 - pgs available
ASM #33 - complete...you lucky guy!  now owned by RomitaMan & displayed on his site (thanks, Mike!)

The Spidey 3 pin-up is on David Mandel's CAF site and yeah, it's thought that 5 and 38 were with Ditko...

The splash for 26 is also on Mandel's CAF site.  Does he own the entire book or has it been split up?

Edited by pemart1966

We know ASM #3 and #4 are known to exist, as they were potentially in play back around 2013-ish, IIRC.  

The whereabouts of #1 is known. 

I've never heard any confirmed sightings of ASM #2, however. 

Edited by delekkerste

7 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

ASM #11 - ???
ASM #17 - ???
ASM #18 - pgs available
ASM #23 - pgs available
ASM #27 - pgs available
ASM #29 - pgs available
ASM #32 - pgs available

#25 has been split apart.

5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

We know ASM #3 and #4 are known to exist, as they were potentially in play back around 2013-ish, IIRC.  

The whereabouts of #1 is known. 

I've never heard any confirmed sightings of ASM #2, however. 

Glen's interview with Bechara on his ORIGINAL COMIC ART LOCATOR site mentions ASM 2, along with 1,3, &4.  That's what I was going by.
Of course, Glen is documenting an interview with Bechara, who is relating a story from the mid 1980's told to him by Brad Savage.  Perhaps something got lost in translation, somewhere?  This question is not to disparage the recollections of Glen, or Bechara, or Brad.  I don't know any of them well enough to confirm what was documented.  I've no doubt that there are some on here who do.
http://originalcomicartlocator.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-real-story-how-original-art-to-x.html

... I'm just a guppy with relatively small pockets in a large pond, certainly not part of the hush, hush select few mentioned earlier.  I personally have no idea.  Either way, it's a cool interview and much appreciated.  I linked Part 1. Part 2 is equally interesting.

6 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Glen's interview with Bechara on his ORIGINAL COMIC ART LOCATOR site mentions ASM 2, along with 1,3, &4.  That's what I was going by.
Of course, Glen is documenting an interview with Bechara, who is relating a story from the mid 1980's told to him by Brad Savage.  Perhaps something got lost in translation, somewhere?  This question is not to disparage the recollections of Glen, or Bechara, or Brad.  I don't know any of them well enough to confirm what was documented.  I've no doubt that there are some on here who do.
http://originalcomicartlocator.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-real-story-how-original-art-to-x.html

... I'm just a guppy with relatively small pockets in a large pond, certainly not part of the hush, hush select few mentioned earlier.  I personally have no idea.  Either way, it's a cool interview and much appreciated.  I linked Part 1. Part 2 is equally interesting.

Ah, OK - a sighting from way back in the day when they were originally stolen and sold.  We know where the #1, 3 and 4 are these days; not sure what happened with the #2, though.  Might require a higher level of Cabal clearance than I have access to.  

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Ah, OK - a sighting from way back in the day when they were originally stolen and sold.  We know where the #1, 3 and 4 are these days; not sure what happened with the #2, though.  Might require a higher level of Cabal clearance than I have access to.  

So Where are the 1,3,and 4?  (shrug)

Slightly off topic, but 10 & 11 year old kids were in front of my house riding bikes wearing Wolverine & Captain American outfits. Very nice & polite kids. They started talking to my wife & 7 year old son about movies, comics & superheroes. Then the 10 year old said he liked Steve Ditko Spider-Man art!  He then quickly came up to me & shook my hand when he learned I had met Stan Lee. "I've always wanted to meet Stan Lee" he said. Quite a refreshing experience!

Turns out his dad has some comics, so I think it rubbed off a bit.

Edited by Timely

38 minutes ago, Timely said:

Slightly off topic, but 10 & 11 year old kids were in front of my house riding bikes wearing Wolverine & Captain American outfits. Very nice & polite kids. They started talking to my wife & 7 year old son about movies, comics & superheroes. Then the 10 year old said he liked Steve Ditko Spider-Man art!  He then quickly came up to me & shook my hand when he learned I had met Stan Lee. "I've always wanted to meet Stan Lee" he said. Quite a refreshing experience!

Turns out his dad has some comics, so I think it rubbed off a bit.

I wish that kid lived on my block! Good stuff!

On 8/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, pemart1966 said:

What's the story on the AF 15 page that showed up at NYCCon in 1990?  Was it for sale or just on display?  Who had it?

I've never heard this story.  You sure about this?  Even if it's true, it re-joined its brethren in time for that donation to the LoC.

Thread drift, but a few of us have noticed that there are some odd inking styles in a few issues of ASM.  We know Stanton was involved early on. I have a pet theory based only on staring at the pages that when Ditko turned in ASM 38, he left Spidey uninked.  The figure looks very flat. 

51 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I've never heard this story.  You sure about this?  Even if it's true, it re-joined its brethren in time for that donation to the LoC.

Page wasn't from the Spidey story is my guess. Pretty much inconceivable that it would have been part of the story at the LoC.