• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nightmare situation with eBayer / PGX
3 3

408 posts in this topic

Got a rude awakening this morning. 

Last month, I purchased a PGX graded copy of X-men #1 (the eBayer even said in his description to get it CGC'd). Well...I then submitted it to CGC at SDCC since I prefer their cases. I didn't expect the grading (originally a 4.5) to come back the same, given the subjectiveness of grading. 

HOWEVER, the absolutely worst thing happened. CGC found that two pages were missing from the book and gave it the green "qualified" label (see photo). The book is still on its way back to me and will arrive Monday of next week. I don't know what to do. This is so disappointing. I'm planning to try and get a refund from eBay since I paid a premium ($4,300) for a complete book, not something that was missing pages. 

I remember reading threads not long ago about how some stores intentionally work with PGX to hide some of these flaws. I really hope this isn't the case. 

I thought this was just a helpful story for collectors. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 9.42.55 AM.png

11 minutes ago, jcruzcollection said:

Got a rude awakening this morning. 

Last month, I purchased a PGX graded copy of X-men #1 (the eBayer even said in his description to get it CGC'd). Well...I then submitted it to CGC at SDCC since I prefer their cases. I didn't expect the grading (originally a 4.5) to come back the same, given the subjectiveness of grading. 

HOWEVER, the absolutely worst thing happened. CGC found that two pages were missing from the book and gave it the green "qualified" label (see photo). The book is still on its way back to me and will arrive Monday of next week. I don't know what to do. This is so disappointing. I'm planning to try and get a refund from eBay since I paid a premium ($4,300) for a complete book, not something that was missing pages. 

I remember reading threads not long ago about how some stores intentionally work with PGX to hide some of these flaws. I really hope this isn't the case. 

I thought this was just a helpful story for collectors. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 9.42.55 AM.png

Sorry this happened, and hope you can get it sorted out with the seller.

When you get the book back, can you post pics of both books (showing the grades)?

I'd like to add this to my list.  Thanks.

Sorry this had happen to you  

When I was first introduced to 3rd party grading/slabbing at some comic shop and didn’t know anything There was a CGC slab and a PGX slab and I thought the PGX seems so cheap. The font of the “3-D” PGX logo, all of it. Just reeked of cheapness.  

I thought CGC would hold off encapsulation of a book if they found something like this and ask the owner if they wanted to proceed. Or is that only if you have them do a pre-check?

Did you send the book in the PGX case or crack it out prior to sending?

Sucks that this happened-- hope it works out for you.

39 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I thought CGC would hold off encapsulation of a book if they found something like this and ask the owner if they wanted to proceed. Or is that only if you have them do a pre-check?

Did you send the book in the PGX case or crack it out prior to sending?

Sucks that this happened-- hope it works out for you.

Thanks. I sent it in with the PGX case still encased since it provided the best protection. 

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Is there any way to hold PGX responsible for this?

Good question, and no. 

I looked it up on their site under legal info. And they have no guarantees if they miss something, or on the grade. Useless 

http://pgxcomics.com/legal-information-2/

Edited by nepatkm

6 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Doubt it, at some point the fine print of their terms probably says “we know we suck at this and guarantee no accuracy in anything”.

True. They kind of do lol

Did you pay with paypal?

If so hopefully you are still in the timeframe to lodge a complaint and seek a full refund.

You bought what you thought (and was no doubt advertised) as a complete book, and when a reputable company examined it - it was found to have 2 pages missing.

If this isn't a case for 'item not as described' - well I don't know what is!

What did the ebay seller say?

Good Luck :foryou:  :wishluck:

Edited by Beige

48 minutes ago, Beige said:

Did you pay with paypal?

If so hopefully you are still in the timeframe to lodge a complaint and seek a full refund.

You bought what you thought (and was no doubt advertised) as a complete book, and when a reputable company examined it - it was found to have 2 pages missing.

If this isn't a case for 'item not as described' - well I don't know what is!

What did the ebay seller say?

Good Luck :foryou:  :wishluck:

what should the ebay seller say? do you think he knew the book was missing pages and that PGX was so lame that they'd probably not notice if he sent it to them for grading? most likely the seller simply sold a 'graded' book and now is being told his graded book was wrong. i'm sure the seller won't be too helpful, but it's not up to him. as you said, paypal buyer protection should help in this case. and as kav said earlier, don't buy PGX, ever. 

15 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

what should the ebay seller say? do you think he knew the book was missing pages and that PGX was so lame that they'd probably not notice if he sent it to them for grading? most likely the seller simply sold a 'graded' book and now is being told his graded book was wrong. i'm sure the seller won't be too helpful, but it's not up to him. as you said, paypal buyer protection should help in this case. and as kav said earlier, don't buy PGX, ever. 

I agree, the seller did nothing wrong. The whole situations sucks but you can't expect the seller to accept responsibility. 

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

You are probably thinking of a CCS prescreen. No analagous process for CGC, they proceed no matter what. They debit your CC the moment they receive your book and they are not going to give it back !

23 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

I'm sure the seller was completely innocent. I don't expect him to pony up - but I am not paypal.

However - the first question paypal will ask is "have you contacted the seller?"

I'm sure you would agree that it would be nice to be able to answer their sensible question,no?

Who do you think paypal will go after - PGX?

Or the guy who has the OP's $$ in their paypal account.

Anyone who has had the misfortune to be involved in an 'item returned as not as described' knows the answer to that.

Sure - the seller is completely innocent probably - paypal cares not a jot.