• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nightmare situation with eBayer / PGX
3 3

408 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Well, since I’m pretty confident that CGC doesn’t make these kinds of objective mistakes

Except in the case of indies with multiple printings. They've had a lot of problems with that.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/242463-ninja-turtles-differences-between-printings/

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/166562-albedo-volume-1-nr2/?page=4

CGC may be more likely than PGX to take responsibility, but if they don't, then what?

CGC makes mistakes too.  No grading company is infallible.

I know someone who sent in a book around April of last year.  CGC missed the fact that the first four wraps were duplicated.  He even indicated it with a sticker on the bag the book was in when shipped.

CGC indicates on their website...

After being examined by a restoration detection professional, the comic books are placed in barcoded mylar sleeves, and separated from their original invoice. This step is taken to ensure that graders do not know whose books they are grading, as a further guarantee of impartiality.

The book’s pages are then counted and any peculiarities or flaws that may affect a book’s grade are entered into the computer. Some examples of this would be “a tear on third page,” “a corner crease – does not break color,” “a ¼” inch spine split,” and so forth. When the grader examines the comic, he is not able to see a previously assigned grade, so as to not influence his own evaluation. After determining his own grade for the comic, he can then view the Grader Notes entered by a previous grader, and he may add to this commentary if he believes more remarks are in order. 

Another restoration check is performed before assigning a grade. If all grades are in agreement or are very close, the book will be assigned a final grade. If there is disagreement among the graders, there will be a discussion with other graders until a final determination is made. The book is then forwarded to the Encapsulation Department for sealing.

So, this book passed through 2 restoration checks and 2 gradings, yet the extra wraps were not noticed.

Mistakes happen.  There is always a risk associated with buying a book that you cannot inspect yourself.

14 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Completely irrelevant. That would only matter if you were trying to make them face legal consequences rather than just accept a return.

We'll thanks for this :foryou:

That answers the inquiries that I had.

5 hours ago, Park said:

It is not misfortune. This isn't that complicated.

The buyer did not receive what he was sold. He bought a PGX 4.5. A book missing 2 pages is not a 4.5 even by PGx's ridiculous standards.

I'd argue the buyer did receive what he was sold.  He paid for an opinion of grade from a grading company that is unreliable and he got an unreliable result. 

It's not that I don't have sympathy for the buyer, I do it's an awful outcome, but you should never trust a PGX label.  A PGX 4.5 could be anything including, unfortunately, an incomplete book.

1 hour ago, Park said:
2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I've read the entire thread and haven't seen this mentioned:

Would a CVA sticker help increased the value of the slab? 

No but I think it more than makes up for the 2 missing pages.

Good call, Blowie.

I think your posts need a CVA sticker to match the quality of mine.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
1 hour ago, Park said:
2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I've read the entire thread and haven't seen this mentioned:

Would a CVA sticker help increased the value of the slab? 

No but I think it more than makes up for the 2 missing pages.

Good call, Blowie.

I think your posts need a CVA sticker to match the quality of mine.

You should make this your avatar then... :)

1ijrmLf.gif

15 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

You should make this your avatar then... :)

1ijrmLf.gif

That should be an award for Post Of The Week around here.

1 minute ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

What should be the criteria for Post Of The Week?

1) Most likes

2) Most informative

3) Most irritated boardies

Yes.

lol

39 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

A PGX 4.5 could be anything including, unfortunately, an incomplete book.

And this could happen with any grading service. But it's been historically documented that with PGX grading, these errors occur with alarmingly greater frequency than with CGC grading.

You see it in ebay keyword spamming all the time. Listing titles with the  words: PGX 8.0 (or whatever)  Same as CGC, or Like CGC.  But nothing is further from the truth. The only similarities are that PGX and CGC use the same grading nomenclature and the comics are sealed in a well and slab. Aside from that, PGX is nothing like CGC and PGX slabs should never instill the same type of confidence that buying a CGC graded book should. Expectations are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

12 hours ago, wombat said:

I'm too lazy to go back and look, but did the OP say they were aware of PGX's reputation? Personally I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars without doing some research. 

Noticed a lot of people felt that mattered...ignorance isn’t a get out of jail free card.

Regardless, I hope it works out somehow for both buyer and seller. Bad situation...

Man, can never tell which threads are going to die a quick death, or take off...

14 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I'd argue the buyer did receive what he was sold.  He paid for an opinion of grade from a grading company that is unreliable and he got an unreliable result. 

It's not that I don't have sympathy for the buyer, I do it's an awful outcome, but you should never trust a PGX label.  A PGX 4.5 could be anything including, unfortunately, an incomplete book.

Agreed!

I need a 3rd party grading real fast just to put on ebay they where high $$$ book's. I drove to them with the books I was selling. I had the books since the early 80's and they where restored and looked at when I bought and when they where restored and grade was given by me and the restorer and countless others. The grades they gave me where close to spot on (thumbsu to what everyone who saw the books said including me. 2 smaller books got a .1 down from what I thought and 1 Big book got a .5 jump. This was in 2007 from what I have seen and heard they really went down hill from there. I will add my 2c that I have bought a few Golden age books that I counted the pages and found out the centerfold was missing :makepoint: Ducks and some golden age have always been hard for me to get the pages right like sup's and Bat's in the number 30's and 40's(shrug)

thats-all-i-have-to-say-about-that-thumb.jpg.8bf1b18ab7316feb020aba626f237746.jpg

Unless PGX agrees to hand out grades for X amount of dollars I’m not sure how they're even a viable operation at this point.  You want the cheaper alternative to CGC with no membership fees go to CBCS.  Anything recently graded by PGX should automatically be suspect.  

Edited by HENRYSPENCER