• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nostalgia vs. Craft in Original Art

160 posts in this topic

I believe there is potential for pendulum to swing back to craft...if "craft" isn't strictly limited to draftsmanship/technical skill, but includes storytelling, as well. Which is not to say that interest in the Studio guys (as one example) hasn't already peaked, but we can't definitively predict how interest in this art form will evolve. I wouldn't bet on nostalgia continuing to rule the day indefinitely, either.

33 minutes ago, vodou said:

I discovered Inness in 2009 at the Amon Carter, his work can be ethereal and transcendent. You can Google him but really it's better to see something in person.

Ah, George Inness...my 100% favorite Hudson Valley artist. Been looking to get one of his paintings for years (have the reference book), but always worried I'll accidentally buy his son's work. Easier to make that mistake than to accidentally buy JRJR. Someday I'll pick on e up at auction...

I’ve mentioned this before but it’s relevant: the gallery edition of DKR sits on my coffee table; I’ve had a number of fellow mellenials criticize the art. Same with Tim Sale—my wife thinks she can draw better than him. Mind you, I love them both, they just don’t get the same appreciation from younger readers as someone like Jason Fabok or Jim Lee would, as they’re not as palatable among the masses as more expected, more “heroic” comic artwork.

Point being, nostalgia isn’t much at play with exceedingly young collectors, and they’re left with craft. I believe this is both good and necessary to keep the hobby alive, as if newbie collectors are trying to hunt down HUSH pages, they’re going to see the prices and quickly bail. It’s far better if they go to someone like Felix and pick up a $200 page from the new Venom comic to stoke the flame. The collector who bought a $200 Venom page is more likely to develop his collection and pick up a $12000 HUSH page down the road than the collector who immediately seeks it. And if he doesn’t, who cares, it’s a new collector to the hobby.

PS: Sean Murphy roolz, BWS droolz.  

Edited by Mr. Machismo

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

I believe there is potential for pendulum to swing back to craft...if "craft" isn't strictly limited to draftsmanship/technical skill, but includes storytelling, as well. Which is not to say that interest in the Studio guys (as one example) hasn't already peaked, but we can't definitively predict how interest in this art form will evolve. I wouldn't bet on nostalgia continuing to rule the day indefinitely, either.

Also, isn't any perceived decrease in appreciation of the Studio guys, not only due to changing tastes, but nostalgia reaching its expiration date, as well?

42 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Also, isn't any perceived decrease in appreciation of the Studio guys, not only due to changing tastes, but nostalgia reaching its expiration date, as well?

That's a very astute point. T0 some degree the collectors of the Studio were collecting nostalgia, as well as craft. 

Will 'nostalgia' for  Marvel and DC characters be sustained since new generations are making those characters their own?

I think it will. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I’ve mentioned this before but it’s relevant: the gallery edition of DKR sits on my coffee table; I’ve had a number of fellow mellenials criticize the art. Same with Tim Sale—my wife thinks she can draw better than him. Mind you, I love them both, they just don’t get the same appreciation from younger readers as someone like Jason Fabok or Jim Lee would, as they’re not as palatable among the masses as more expected, more “heroic” comic artwork.

Point being, nostalgia isn’t much at play with exceedingly young collectors, and they’re left with craft. I believe this is both good and necessary to keep the hobby alive, as if newbie collectors are trying to hunt down HUSH pages, they’re going to see the prices and quickly bail. It’s far better if they go to someone like Felix and pick up a $200 page from the new Venom comic to stoke the flame. The collector who bought a $200 Venom page is more likely to develop his collection and pick up a $12000 HUSH page down the road than the collector who immediately seeks it. And if he doesn’t, who cares, it’s a new collector to the hobby.

Three Points:

1)Your spouse thinking she can draw better than Tim Sale is grounds for divorce in 27 states and the District of Columbia. 

2)When a collector or appreciator of artwork matures they should, eventually, realize that there's genius in certain creators who don't give you what you expect or what's obvious, but instead give you something truly special that (when you get it) you have a "eureka" moment of personal art appreciation epiphany.  When you "get" an artist like Tim Sale, or Alex Toth, or Mignola, or Miller, or several other non-obvious-at-first-blush-comic-book-work talents, it's extraordinarily personally satisfying. 

3)I threw up in my mouth a little (a lot) over the Sean Murphy comment. 

Edited by comix4fun

Who the heck is Sean Murphy?

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Who the heck is Sean Murphy?

If you don't know that Sean Murphy is the next Frank Miller, then you haven't asked him yet. 

4 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Based on his recent work, I’d say that Frank Miller ain’t Frank Miller

:gossip:He was talking about his Batman book...compared to Frank's. 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Three Points:

1)Your spouse thinking she can draw better than Tim Sale is grounds for divorce in 27 states and the District of Columbia. 

No comment on Tim Sale but I did/do think I can paint better than that 75k Magic artwork that sold at HA two weeks ago. My first thought was that it looked like I tried to paint my mother. 

To the initial question posed, I am one of those people who have lived this experience of wishing the masses "got it" for my entire collecting life. It has taken years to just give in to my tastes, which many may consider bad. But really I cannot make myself spend money on something I just don't appreciate, whether its an investment or not. I am absolutely awful at making investment based decisions, to the point that people should email me before making a big purchase to see if I like the item. If I do it will be flat for 15 years. I recently started getting interested in the prop world, but not 3D screen used stuff which I find shoddily made and boring. Nah, I go for the concept art. I am a huge Tolkien fan, but that's Bakshi not Jackson. I like Frazetta's watercolors more than his oils. Kirby, Lord of Light or 2001 for me please. Ploog, no comic art, thank you only his movie work. You get the point ;) I have never understood the superhero genre and have no interest in it. But if I did, it would be some D tier character who was about to get a spin-off movie, until I got involved and the project would be shelved. I am in my mid 40s and really have no connection to the horror and fantasy of he late 60s and 70s, but have a much stronger interest in the Warren and Studio crowd than any Marvel bronze age material. But to see me beaming when I show off my stuff to the rare visitor tells the real story of what matters. I have fully accepted that Heritage will one day get a call from my wife.

Edited by cstojano

When I first started collecting nostalgia was the big factor for me and it still is. But I have found over the last 15-20 years I have been more drawn to the craft of many pieces. I love the craft he puts into the Flash Gordon work, I do prefer his Flash over Rip Kirby but more for the craft of his brushwork compared to pen he used on Kirby. I think the older a collector gets his tastes expand and  can gravitate more towards the craft.

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I've had a LOT of discussions with friends and fellow collectors recently about the whole "nostalgia vs. craft" debate in the original art hobby, as it seems that, at least as far as market values go, "nostalgia" has been far outpacing "craft".   

The most expensive panel sold in public was drawn by Herb Trimpe.  Herb Trimpe!

*mic drop*

The question can be answered by looking at the classic car market.  Generally, the vehicles at the top of the mountain remain the same and continue to increase in value..  After that, vehicle's desirability/values rise and fall as the age groups within the hobby start to age out.  The new blood seeks vehicles that makes them feel warm and fuzzy, remembering a better time in their lives, and the values adjust accordingly.  The styles change too.  The older crowd doesn't understand why the new blood want X,Y, or Z, and the younger crowd could care less about many of the vehicles that the older crowd held dear.

Edited by Lucky Baru

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Three Points:

2)When a collector or appreciator of artwork matures they should, eventually, realize that there's genius in certain creators who don't give you what you expect or what's obvious, but instead give you something truly special that (when you get it) you have a "eureka" moment of personal art appreciation epiphany.  When you "get" an artist like Tim Sale, or Alex Toth, or Mignola, or Miller, or several other non-obvious-at-first-blush-comic-book-work talents, it's extraordinarily personally satisfying. 

1) She loves the Long Halloween TPB cover on the wall, so as long as she doesn’t colour it in one day, we’re all good. 

2) Totally agree. The sentiment I was trying to get across is, all the artists you mention come at a premium, deservedly so, as they’re all masters at what they do. They’re also all artists known for their earlier works, and thus nostalgia paired with craft fuels the price tags of their earlier, more notable works. Newer, younger collectors won’t have that nostalgia, and likely won’t have the appreciation you and I do for the aforementioned artists, and opt to buy something like Ryan Stegman or Ryan Ottley. And that’s a good thing, because if they immediately went to the Mignolas and Millers, they’d be priced out and leave the hobby before they even entered. 

3) Indeed. He’s that good. 

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

3) Indeed. He’s that good. 

That’s what’s written on the bumper sticker he send free with every art order , right ?

What about when nostalgia and craft come together?

I commissioned Kaluta to do a few pieces. One was a Batman Illo he did years ago. Not only did I have nostalgia for the image but I loved his artistry. So it wasn’t a great combo.