WTB - October birth year comic books
2 2

8 posts in this topic

3,500 posts

Hello all,

I am trying to build up a collection of October 1968 comic books and I have found a few ones already. However, there are still many out there. The ones I have are in mid-high grades. The OAAW #198 and Little Dot #119 are in NM conditions. I would like that level of grades. 

I would like to find them with stamped date like month/year or month/day/year. My birth day is the 25th. 

What I now have so far:

OAAW #198

Betty and Me #17

Archie’s JokeBook #105

Little Dot #119

Please PM me if you have some with stamped dates or cover date. Thanks. 

343 posts

I will have to check but I imagine I have an Iron Man #6 but would need to see what grades I have. I know the ones I have do not have any date stamps though.

4,428 posts

I don't have any, but have you determined what books were on the newsstands during October 1968? I did that for my birth month, and then saved eBay searches for those books, since a lot of times date stamps aren't mentioned. Every week or so, I'd check out the scans of new listings to see if there was a date stamp. I ended up getting about five from my birth month, including one with a grease pencil arrival date of my actual birthday. Good luck.

484 posts

Here's a list of Marvel books (the ones I collect at least) with a cover date of October 1968, which is not the same thing as asking what was probably on the news stand that month:

• Amazing Spider-Man #65
  • Avengers #57 (1st Vision -- the only true key in this list)
  • Captain America #106
  • Captain Marvel #6
  • Daredevil #45
  • Doctor Strange #173
  • Fantastic Four #79
  • Fantasy Masterpieces #6
  • Incredible Hulk #108
  • Iron Man #6
  • Nick Fury #5
  • Silver Surfer #2
  • Sub-Mariner #6
  • Thor #157
  • X-Men #49

Hope this helps -- good luck in your search!

10,171 posts
Posted (edited)

Using Mike' Amazing World website which is awesome - here is the cover gallery of all books/publishers with an on sale date of October 1968.  I suspect these would be the books that may have an October 86 stamp?

You can change the filter to cover dated if that is what you're looking for. 

Good luck!

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php?publisher=all&type=calendar&month=10&year=1968&sort=alpha

Edited by telerites

3,500 posts

Thanks for the links and list of these books. Got a PM and replied back. Waiting for a reply, hoping something can get started on.  

10,565 posts
On 8/9/2018 at 6:47 PM, Fan Boy said:

Thanks for the links and list of these books.

Nick Fury #8 (monthly) came out in Canada around Oct 5, 1968. Add 3 months for the Marvel cover date Fan Boy Greg is looking for, thus Jan, 1969 covers.

3,500 posts
12 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Nick Fury #8 (monthly) came out in Canada around Oct 5, 1968. Add 3 months for the Marvel cover date Fan Boy Greg is looking for, thus Jan, 1969 covers.

Thanks aardvark88, you do bring up a good point. Allow me to rephrase in what I’m looking for. 

Any October 1968 comic book without ink stamp date are fine. 

Any January 1969 comic book with ink stamp date “October 25 68 (or 1968)” are fine and I would love have that

Thanks.