• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone collect high grade Gold Key 70s Ducks?

8 posts in this topic

Just curious.  I have the opportunity to buy high grade (raw, but look 9.8) Gold Key Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics from the first half of the 1970s.  Does anyone collect these comics?  I would only be buying them to get them slabbed and then sell as these are not my collecting goal.  Waste of time?  Thanks.

Edited by sfcityduck

30 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

This is the response I was expecting.  Thanks!

:foryou: I've heard of whitman ducks being rare or sought after, but I have had 1 or 2 people at Half Price Books ask me if I had found any "Duck books" in the bins..... but that is as close to that particular book topic that I've come....  :sorry:

I asked those 2 people if they were looking for any Duck books in particular, but they were just looking for any and all :foryou: 

I buy high grade Uncle Scrooge books... but only if i see them cheap.

There are lots a Duck collectors, and their numbers swell overseas, but in my experience they’re run collectors and completionists who read their comics, so condition may be less of a priority. They are generally well-informed, and are looking to fill a few specific holes, rather than make a bulk purchase.

just my two cents...

I am 12 issues short of the full run of Scrooge, Huey Dewey & Louie, Beagle Boys, and Scrooge vs Beagles. I have a dozen long boxes of nothing but Duck books. With that being said, I have exactly two 9.8 Duck slabs and I bought them for next to nothing. As stated by someone earlier, I just want to finish the runs regardless of condition. 

I love Ducks, but I don't really buy them at high prices. I have no collecting goals vis-a-vis Ducks but love having them in my collection. :luhv: Btw, I would never buy a slabbed duck at a premium, unless it was a fluke in pricing.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:05 AM, sfcityduck said:

Just curious.  I have the opportunity to buy high grade (raw, but look 9.8) Gold Key Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics from the first half of the 1970s.  Does anyone collect these comics?  I would only be buying them to get them slabbed and then sell as these are not my collecting goal.  Waste of time?  Thanks.

I would buy them if the price were right.  High grade books from the early '70s, regardless of title are hard to come by. :smile:

The Whitman pre-pack only and cover price variants at the end of the runs have value and demand. 

The other issues, no real demand despite what the guide says the value is. 

Ask if they have 9.8 70s Archies instead. I tend to see Ducks and Archies together.

Edited by kimik