• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help from an ebay guru

27 posts in this topic

I put an item up for sale.  Ok, it might not be a comic book, but maybe I can be forgiven for asking just this once.

Anyway, my item sold on Sunday.  I usually try to toggle "4 business days handling time", but somehow missed it, so it was 3 days handling time.  Today is the third day.

The reality is that I'm not a professional seller.  I sell things once in a while, and I get busy with my day job.  I've had almost 900 feedbacks and no complaints dating back like 25 years.

But this morning, the guy contacted and asked me why I didn't ship his item.  I told him it would go out no later than tomorrow (4th business day).

So he gave me negative feedback.

The buyer has a feedback of 3.  I don't really want to complete the sale.  I feel like I'd have nothing to lose if I somehow couldn't find the item in question.  Oppsie!   I already got the bad feedback, so reversing the sale wouldn't harm anything.

My question is:  Will reversing the sale erase the bad feedback?   If I elect to go ahead with the sale, how long can I drag out the shipment at this point before ebay gets involved.

Yeah, I'm pretty pizzed and right now feeling spiteful.  I try hard to be an attentive seller but I didn't have a chance to go to the post office.

yes dont ship screw that punk.  50/50 chance getting neg removed if cancel sale.  No motive to ship-then the neg stays for sure.

38 minutes ago, evilskip said:

, whack him with violating the terms of the sales agreement as it clearly states 4 days.

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

I usually try to toggle "4 business days handling time", but somehow missed it, so it was 3 days handling time.  Today is the third day.

Yep, as a member from 1998, cancel the sale and don't ship him the item. If he has paid, immediately refund his money in full. What can he do? Nothing. Sadly, the neg probably won't go away but I believe you can reply in a professional way to his negative. In the future, change it to 5 days. If you can't get it out in that time frame, maybe you shouldn't be selling there.

I had a similar experience as a seller recently. Luckily, I didn't get a neg. It really doesn't matter anyway after a while. Buyers will see it and realize what a tool he is if you have a clean record any way.

I hate dealing (buying or selling) on ebay anymore...

52 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yep, as a member from 1998, cancel the sale and don't ship him the item. If he has paid, immediately refund his money in full. What can he do? Nothing. Sadly, the neg probably won't go away but I believe you can reply in a professional way to his negative. In the future, change it to 5 days. If you can't get it out in that time frame, maybe you shouldn't be selling there.

I had a similar experience as a seller recently. Luckily, I didn't get a neg. It really doesn't matter anyway after a while. Buyers will see it and realize what a tool he is if you have a clean record any way.

I hate dealing (buying or selling) on ebay anymore...

I have had a high percentage of BS in my Ebay dealings as a buyer and as a seller. To much fraud.

What kind of item were you selling?  The reason I ask is in today's day and age with Amazon Prime 2-day delivery, instantly being able to summon an Uber ride and order a Dominos pizza from practically anywhere we live in a society that moves fast, and people want things quickly.  Unless you're out of town, a three-day handling delay can upset a lot of buyers.  eBay's now prioritizing listings from sellers who offer free shipping and have handling times of no more than one day.

regardless of what the item was or what some people think is reasonable response time in shipping-- this guy was over the line with the negative imo.

3 days shipping time listed and the negative gets thrown down after day 3 as if you have failed them? that is just ridiculous.

If I spell out my shipping constraints, the buyer can see those and basically agrees to them when they make a purchase. Expectations this inflexible are seriously over the line,

5 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

I put an item up for sale.  Ok, it might not be a comic book, but maybe I can be forgiven for asking just this once.

Anyway, my item sold on Sunday.  I usually try to toggle "4 business days handling time", but somehow missed it, so it was 3 days handling time.  Today is the third day.

The reality is that I'm not a professional seller.  I sell things once in a while, and I get busy with my day job.  I've had almost 900 feedbacks and no complaints dating back like 25 years.

But this morning, the guy contacted and asked me why I didn't ship his item.  I told him it would go out no later than tomorrow (4th business day).

So he gave me negative feedback.

The buyer has a feedback of 3.  I don't really want to complete the sale.  I feel like I'd have nothing to lose if I somehow couldn't find the item in question.  Oppsie!   I already got the bad feedback, so reversing the sale wouldn't harm anything.

My question is:  Will reversing the sale erase the bad feedback?   If I elect to go ahead with the sale, how long can I drag out the shipment at this point before ebay gets involved.

Yeah, I'm pretty pizzed and right now feeling spiteful.  I try hard to be an attentive seller but I didn't have a chance to go to the post office.

hm

You shouldn't have been able to get a negative before 7 days....

If you REALLLLY want to be a dink...don't ship the item at all, and wait for the refund process to go through. That way, he has to wait the max amount of time for his money. If you sell as little as you say, one non-responsive transaction won't kill you.

:whistle:

If it were me, I'd keep the guy's money and ship the item. Keep it simple, don't try to teach anyone a lesson or boost your self-image by saying you're acting on principle. Ultimately, you got what you wanted: You sold the item and a small pile of cash appeared in its place. I've said this before, feedback counts for so little these days and if you're going to refuse to take someone's money over something like this... well, I think you're just letting your pride govern your actions. No need to prolong the drama and, by your own admission, you didn't ship the item in the amount of time your listing stated, so you're not totally absolved, a little bit of this falls on you. Again, just keep the money and move forward with your life. Avoid people that try to suck you into conflict.

id say there are already red flags that this guy is gonna be a problematic buyer.

Id expect complaints about shipping methods, condition of the item and anything else. I wouldnt be surprised if he eventually asks for a credit on the purchase price in return for him rescinding the neg feedback. 

just cancel the transaction.

id also just cancel. like miraclemet said every buyer I had that either had a lot of questions upfront or had any minor issues prior to shipping always had major issues with the delivery even though nothing was ever wrong.  they complain about the item or damage or delay but when asked for proof never offer it.  basically a lot of people in this world will just complain over anything and everything and expect things for free.  so instead of being stuck with return shipping or having to completely refund and never get your item back just cancel and sell to a reasonable person.

Thanks so much for the replies!  Last night (still the 3rd business day), I wrote him an email asking him to reconsider.  The guy wrote back and said he was "done with me" and wanted to cancel the transaction.  I think I have grounds to get this negative reversed.  It's not that I need to, but it's the principle of the thing.  No way would I neg someone for potentially going a day over their shipping time.  People should be more understanding.

what is the buyers ebay ID?

I hate buyers who are this unreasonable. Things happen etc. The best thing to do is cancel the sale. Nothing worst for these types of buyers who need to have their item immediately, the worst thing for them is not to get the item at all. If the rest can contribute to that cause by adding them to our block buyer/bidder list, then all the better

Edited by jsilverjanet