• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

More Fun is probably my favorite DC title starting with the classic #52. The Spectre and Dr. Fate are probably my favorite GA DC characters. Rounding out the book with Aquaman, Green Arrow and even Johnny Quick, about every issue is a blast to read. Always been a second tier book in collecting DCs. But just try and find them. I keep hearing that they have "cooled off" but I rarely see any for sale. Are they kept by collectors or maybe the print runs were just way smaller. I suspect the latter. Because of this, they have always been very pricey. I might have about a dozen in all the years I've collected comics and it's been a few years since I've gotton a new one. I very recently bought a later issue and imagine my dismay when I got home and realized I already had it. How come none for sale?

Feel free to make me feel bad and post any you have. Most of mine are in such bad shape, I'm embarrased to post them. I know Ritchie has one that makes me weak in the knees everytime I see it...

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Always been a second tier book in collecting DCs. But just try and find them. I keep hearing that they have "cooled off" but I rarely see any for sale. Are they kept by collectors or maybe the print runs were just way smaller. I suspect the latter.

I rather suspect the former as More Fun was definitely one of the more in-demand DC GA titles a couple of decades ago.

Definitely not the case anymore as many of the DC titles, especially the 2nd tier old standbys like Adventure and More Fun seems to have lost some of their collecting pizzazz over the years.  As a result, collectors are probably just holding onto their copies for now and hoping something will come up that will re-ignite interest in these titles, as their is no point in selling them off for under guide prices when they have cooled off.  hm

As for my favorite Spectre and Dr. Fate cover, I would have to go with the classic More Fun 65 Spectre mirror cover and the bright colorful More Fun 61 Dr. Fate cover.  Personally, I also wouldn't throw the pre-hero More Fun books into the waste bin just yet, as not only are these much rarer to find, but some of them also sport some wonderfully drawn covers.  Especially in terms of More Fun 47 and even more so, with More Fun 48 in terms of Flessel's classic dinosaur cover.  :cloud9:

Overstreet really needs to break some of these pre-hero books out as it's clear that certain copies are in much more demand in the marketplace relative to other copies in his groupings.  Especially when he has so many breakouts in his guide for much more recent or common books.  

I wish i had collected more back in the day before the prices and the lack of finding them out in the wild kicked in. My favorite would be MF 61 for that was my first purchase of the title many moons ago and they say your first you will never forget lol

I thought New Fun / More Fun was a really desirable title.  I remember Mark Zaid telling stories about how Borock sold him on trying to amass the run by pointing out the historical import.  So many cool things happen in that run:  1st DC, 1st Science Fiction cover, Superman tryouts, early S&S, Action ad, many hero debuts (Spectre, Dr. Fate, Aquaman, Green Arrow and Speedy, Superboy, etc.).  I always thought it was a highly desired title.

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Say what??? You traded them away? For what? Better have been good. My favorites are #52,53 (gotta have 53 if you have 52, 2 part Spectre origin), #54, #61 and the list goes on...

Since these appear as I said pretty scarce, (no one is posting any), I have no choice than to subject you with a few beaters from my stash...

commorefun64.jpg

I remember I had a high grade 67 that went toward my Superman #1! :D