• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2019 at 8:40 PM, D84 said:
On 10/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, Ameri said:

Picked this one up last year

More Fun 60.jpg

SPLASH2.JPG

Got mine last year, too.

More Fun Comics 60.jpg

Got mine a few years ago...

morefun60.jpg

BTW, the Church copy of #60 sold yesterday through the Sunday Heritage auction. It was a 3.0 double slash/second-hand church with great color but detached cover. $1800. Cheap!

Artist highlights from More Fun Comics (1936-1941):

Leo O'Mealia (More Fun Comics #15):

42.jpg

Joe Shuster (More Fun Comics #17):

14.jpg

Will Ely (More Fun Comics #26):

62.jpg

Howard Sherman (More Fun Comics #61):

EP_0KCi6rkN5Uc7DMYEFXwzJRDefdHgnVLF7LMXt

Bernard Baily (More Fun Comics #67):

Bl1t2FgYSQXYwE1XeTOm1Dpmnj4lQBwg9k777OYN

Ed Moore (More Fun Comics #73):

s7nMa-89QRbsCNZ0QJvaaQSn-QQUsv2zkT2tXO1y

Edited by Electricmastro

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Oh man.  Now I want to read that O'Mealia story....  Maybe it's reprinted somewhere? :wishluck:

Yeah, it was recently reprinted in DC Comics Before Superman: Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson's Pulp Comics. After O'Mealia drew what was apparently the first Sherlock Holmes comic strip in 1930, he also contributed quite a few dynamic pages to DC throughout his career on More Fun Comics.

59.jpg

60.jpg

41.jpg

25.jpg

42.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

On 1/22/2020 at 6:51 PM, Electricmastro said:

Yeah, it was recently reprinted in DC Comics Before Superman: Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson's Pulp Comics. After O'Mealia drew what was apparently the first Sherlock Holmes comic strip in 1930, he also contributed quite a few dynamic pages to DC throughout his career on More Fun Comics.

42.jpg

Bob Merritt sure looks like the guy on the cover to Action Comics 5, but there's no Bob Merritt story in AC5...  Thanks so much for sharing these.  I'll have to track down the reprint.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:27 AM, MrBedrock said:

BTW, the Church copy of #60 sold yesterday through the Sunday Heritage auction. It was a 3.0 double slash/second-hand church with great color but detached cover. $1800. Cheap!

Well, I guess you must mean this copy here then:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #60 Mile High Pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC GD/VG 3.0 Off-white to white pages....

All I will say is that you can never argue with the PQ and depth of color sharpness when it comes to the Church pedigree books. :cloud9: