• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:
14 hours ago, podboy66 said:

From the last HA event auction, looks much better than the grade

6E973B7A-BF08-4130-A547-FBE346BD9D93.jpeg

Tough book!!! Looks MUCH nicer than the grade for sure!!! Way to go Vern!!!!  :applause:

Yes, from what I can see in this scan, it definitely presents much nicer than your normal CGC 5.0 graded book.  (thumbsu

This particular issue certainly doesn't come around very often, although it does appear that the current CC auction does have a lower graded CGC 1.8 copy that's still sitting at only a couple hundred dollars for now.  In fact, it looks like their current auction have a few tempting More Fun's from the same time period that the More Fun aficonados might find interesting.  hm  :luhv:

On 8/18/2020 at 10:10 AM, lou_fine said:

This particular issue certainly doesn't come around very often, although it does appear that the current CC auction does have a lower graded CGC 1.8 copy that's still sitting at only a couple hundred dollars for now.  In fact, it looks like their current auction have a few tempting More Fun's from the same time period that the More Fun aficonados might find interesting.  hm  :luhv:

Just checked and it appears that the CGC 1.8 graded copy of More Fun 67 which is closing later today is now sitting up there at $1,250.  :(

I guess it's still up there from the demand point of view, although it would appear that most of the other More Fun's that's coming up in today's CC auction are still sitting at only around condition guide prices or even less at this current point in time with just a few more hours to go.  hm  hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Just checked and it appears that the CGC 1.8 graded copy of More Fun 67 which is closing later today is now sitting up there at $1,250.  :(

I guess it's still up there from the demand point of view, although it would appear that most of the other More Fun's that's coming up in today's CC auction are still sitting at only around condition guide prices or even less at this current point in time with just a few more hours to go.  hm  hm

Is it typical for most auction items to be below their final price before the auction ends?

2 hours ago, podboy66 said:

What was the final hammer?

If you are referring to the CGC 1.8 graded copy of More Fun 67, it actually finished up rather strongly as did most of the More Fun's at $1,872:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/889494

With their new revamped auction website, you can actually find out the hammer for all of the individual CC lots from this current Event auction as they are all automatically loaded into their auction archive immediately upon completion.  :whatthe: :applause:

56 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Anyone else pick up this newly published reprint of New Fun #1 in the old Famous First Edition tabloid format but hardbound. I just got mine in from yesterday from Amazon and will be reading this weekend. Fun idea for a reprint maybe they will do some more.

NewFun1.thumb.jpg.b95481db4c2aca91a51a895df3417852.jpg

Oh wow, is this something brand new that's just been released by DC since I don't remember any of these Famous First Editions being done for any of theire-hero books?  ???

If so, is it available only in hardcover and what was the price for it?  hm

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Oh wow, is this something brand new that's just been released by DC since I don't remember any of these Famous First Editions being done for any of theire-hero books?  ???

If so, is it available only in hardcover and what was the price for it?  hm

It's a brand new DC imprint from 2020 available from Amazon for $15 or so. I found it because I was doing a search for any books related to Gardner Fox and it popped up. I put it in my shopping cart to buy when I needed something else to get to the free shipping level and it showed up yesterday. It's printed in China and is pretty well done but I've only paged through it quickly at this point but will read on the weekend. I was surprised to see the Oswald the Rabbit strip reprinted here as I didn't realize that was in these books. Anyway, a very affordable way to read a very rare comic. It also includes two forwards one from Jerry Bails and one from Roy Thomas and an afterward about the Major.

It's only 32 pages printed in black and white inside which I assume is how the original started.

I sure hope they print more of these.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

22 hours ago, buttock said:

Is it typical for most auction items to be below their final price before the auction ends?

My experience is that the high point occurs well before the end of the auction.

35 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I have found that the high point occurs well beyond my bid. :(

16 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
52 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I have found that the high point occurs well beyond my bid.

and there is that.

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

These auctions are confusing me.  I’m just going to bid what I’m willing to pay, factoring in taxes and fees, sometime before the auction ends.  Maybe that will work?

On 8/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, buttock said:

These auctions are confusing me.  I’m just going to bid what I’m willing to pay, factoring in taxes and fees, sometime before the auction ends.  Maybe that will work?

I always forget to factor in taxes and fees. It leads to...sadness, sometimes, when I win.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, buttock said:

No matter what you do, you'll still be confused. :p

On 8/28/2020 at 9:23 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Anyone else pick up this newly published reprint of New Fun #1 in the old Famous First Edition tabloid format but hardbound. I just got mine in from yesterday from Amazon and will be reading this weekend. Fun idea for a reprint maybe they will do some more.

NewFun1.thumb.jpg.b95481db4c2aca91a51a895df3417852.jpg

I got my copy right when it came out.  It's actually slightly bigger than the rest of the Famous First Editions,because the original book was slightly bigger and they printed it at the original dimensions.

I absolutely love how they used the classic Famous First Edition trade dress.  Would love to see more of these.