• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh wow, is this something brand new that's just been released by DC since I don't remember any of these Famous First Editions being done for any of theire-hero books?  ???

If so, is it available only in hardcover and what was the price for it?  

Hardcover only for $20.  Lots of extra materials on the Major, the artists, early days of DC etc.  Highly recommended.

Edited by adamstrange

11 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

So I caved and had my under copy of More Fun #61 graded. I wasn't planning on it (as I love to have a reader copy of this issue on hand - the color/printing process just looks great compared to modern reprints) but it was literally going to disintegrate the next time I tried to read it.

While I was expecting a lower grade, maybe 1.5 due to the brittle and stained spine, I wasn't expecting restoration (apparently the entire cover was re-glossed. Something both me and Metropolis Comics missed - but even though I bought it over a year ago they gave me a credit when I mentioned it this week which was super decent of them). At least it still looks amazing and matches my other restored copy :D As long as the inks are rich and deep, I'll be happy!

SIGH am I forever doomed to only own restored copies of my favourite Fate cover? Back to hunting for another copy or two (at least one Universal graded and hopefully another raw reader copy)

Sorry about the restoration.  It's such a great cover.  The ones where Fate has the full length helmet are the best.

Just now, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Sorry about the restoration.  It's such a great cover.  The ones where Fate has the full length helmet are the best.

Yup - the only half-face helmet cover I'm interested in hunting down is #74, so that does help keep my collecting goals cost down considerably :D  (I also want to find a coverless #55 so I can do one of my custom covers for it - finally get Doctor Fate on his own first appearance issues cover!)

23 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Yup - the only half-face helmet cover I'm interested in hunting down is #74, so that does help keep my collecting goals cost down considerably :D  (I also want to find a coverless #55 so I can do one of my custom covers for it - finally get Doctor Fate on his own first appearance issues cover!)

That’s a cool idea.  What are you going to use for the cover?

blah.jpg

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

4 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

That a cool idea.  What are you going to use for the cover?

I will have the entire art drawn from scratch, mimicing the golden age style. I prefer to make the cover evoke the same composition as the original art so it doesn't seem too 'custom' - so in this case I'll replicate most of the original cover as-is but replace Spectre with a floating fate who is casting a spell against the same two bank robbers. I'll color it myself afterwards to match golden age printing / color guidelines just a I did for World's Finest #3 (which didn't have Scarecrow on the cover of his very first appearance)

39 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

So I caved and had my under copy of More Fun #61 graded. I wasn't planning on it (as I love to have a reader copy of this issue on hand - the color/printing process just looks great compared to modern reprints) but it was literally going to disintegrate the next time I tried to read it.

While I was expecting a lower grade, maybe 1.5 due to the brittle and stained spine, I wasn't expecting restoration (apparently the entire cover was re-glossed. Something both me and Metropolis Comics missed - but even though I bought it over a year ago they gave me a credit when I mentioned it this week which was super decent of them). At least it still looks amazing and matches my other restored copy :D As long as the inks are rich and deep, I'll be happy!

SIGH am I forever doomed to only own restored copies of my favourite Fate cover? Back to hunting for another copy or two (at least one Universal graded and hopefully another raw reader copy)

fun.thumb.jpg.08edaacf339a69d40d0c7d4c4b8d3df8.jpg

That's the 4.5R I sold you last year right? It's definitely a looker!

2 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

I will have the entire art drawn from scratch, mimicing the golden age style. I prefer to make the cover evoke the same composition as the original art so it doesn't seem too 'custom' - so in this case I'll replicate most of the original cover as-is but replace Spectre with a floating fate who is casting a spell against the same two bank robbers. I'll color it myself afterwards to match golden age printing / color guidelines just a I did for World's Finest #3 (which didn't have Scarecrow on the cover of his very first appearance)

Hopefully you’ll share it with us later.  The World’s Finest you did is awesome.

44 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

At least you have a copy of it brother. I still need to get me one

4 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

While I was expecting a lower grade, maybe 1.5 due to the brittle and stained spine, I wasn't expecting restoration (apparently the entire cover was re-glossed. Something both me and Metropolis Comics missed - but even though I bought it over a year ago they gave me a credit when I mentioned it this week which was super decent of them).

For a transaction that's more than a year old.  (thumbsu  :applause:

On 8/30/2020 at 2:21 AM, adamstrange said:

Hardcover only for $20.  Lots of extra materials on the Major, the artists, early days of DC etc.  Highly recommended.

Wow, this is highly significant. DC confirming that New Fun 1 was the first DC book. That may seem obvious, but most people consider Detective 1 as the first. 

10 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Hey two is better than one (thumbsu