• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

The More Fun #117 was the first issue of the title I ever owned; and one of the first pre-code DC's I ever got.  I'm given to understand that I got insanely lucky and that it's rare even by the standards of More Fun.

MF117.jpg

Yes, #117 may be the toughest More Fun above #50.

50 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

It was interesting to see this 1.0 MF 35 with brittle pages go for about 7x Guide last night.  I assume its due to the combination of rarity, a great Flessel cover, and the fact it looks better than the assigned grade. But still, that's got to be a record for a pre-hero MF.

00032731810000110913454006.jpg

I bid to about Guide early on in the auction, and figured I'd check it out a few hours before the auction ended to see where it was at; I was willing to go to 2-3x Guide but my goodness did it blow away my limit.

4 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I bid to about Guide early on in the auction, and figured I'd check it out a few hours before the auction ended to see where it was at; I was willing to go to 2-3x Guide but my goodness did it blow away my limit.

I was with you for a while. I went to 2x guide, but it just went beyond me.  I think it is scarcity.  It certainly is not driven by an "in demand" character.  This is the first time I have seen this issue for sale in a public market in the last 5 years (that I am aware of).  Congrats to who ever did pick it up.

Generally, I only like the More Fun issues that contain the Spectre and Dr. Fate. Green Arrow and Aquaman added in great! Once, they left and Superboy came aboard, I lost interest. Very sad when this once great title ended up with Dover and Clover, Genius Jones and Jimminey.

I did pick up this #99 because it was cheap and was in the incredible "Paul" collection. It was the last Dr Fate issue. Still had the Spectre (now regulated to the last story with his stupid sidekick) and listed as scarce in Overstreet.

In despiration, I also grabbed this #103. Last Green Arrow cover, beginning of the end. And it was also an "Eldon" pedigree. Got is pretty cheap due to the piece missing.

commorefun98paul.jpg

commorefun103.jpg

22 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

It was interesting to see this 1.0 MF 35 with brittle pages go for about 7x Guide last night.  I assume its due to the combination of rarity, a great Flessel cover, and the fact it looks better than the assigned grade. But still, that's got to be a record for a pre-hero MF.

00032731810000110913454006.jpg

Well, probably the other reason is that condition guide was only around $110 on this copy here, so going 7X on such a small dollar value in today's hyper hot marketplace is probably just like pocket change to most collectors here.  (shrug)

Also love the usual CL hype that this is one of the Top 5 graded copies out there, but they don't bother to point out the fact that it is actually also the lowest graded copy in the census by a wide margin.  :devil:

Still, another example of an entry level copy that is able to sell at multiples to condition guide price due to its affordability and possibly the reason why Overstreet is least useful when it comes to both condition grades above 9.2 or condition grades below 2.0.  hm

Although any hint of Brittle pages tends to be a killer in this marketplace, I am sure the extreme rarity of this book in terms of only 5 graded copies combined with the fact that it hardly ever shows up in the marketplace helped to override the negative PQ factor.  (thumbsu

Anybody else starting to notice a reawakening and slight perkiness in the More Fun books, as evident by the the results in the last CC auction and this CL MF 68 copy here:  hm

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D40%26y%3D3%26pg%3D137%23Item_1424447&id=1424447&itemType=0#detail

Love the bright red colors on this cover but still rather surprised that a Slight to Moderate Restored copy with all 3 pages trimmed and also graded by the gang across the street would hit this close to condition guide.  (thumbsu

Certainly nice to see since the once popular More Fun run had fallen out of favor for awhile there and hopefully some of this newfound enthusiasm can also spread over to its companion Adventure run which seems to have been on the skids for awhile now.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Anybody else starting to notice a reawakening and slight perkiness in the More Fun books, as evident by the the results in the last CC auction and this CL MF 68 copy here:  hm

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D40%26y%3D3%26pg%3D137%23Item_1424447&id=1424447&itemType=0#detail

Love the bright red colors on this cover but still rather surprised that a Slight to Moderate Restored copy with all 3 pages trimmed and also graded by the gang across the street would hit this close to condition guide.  (thumbsu

Certainly nice to see since the once popular More Fun run had fallen out of favor for awhile there and hopefully some of this newfound enthusiasm can also spread over to its companion Adventure run which seems to have been on the skids for awhile now.  :wishluck:

Frankly, I have yet to see More Fun go down much at all. Heck, I seldom see them for sale in any abundance at all. Especially the big logo issues. I don’t really see them as “out of favor” but more out of reach to all except the big pocket folks. 

Early Adventure seem just slightly more available. Still can grab a few here and there. 

I wish the bottom would really fall out on More Fun and flood the market. Then perhaps more of us “modest spenders” could add a few more to our paltry collections. 

What a surprise when I picked up a copy of MORE FUN #101 to find placed between AQUAMAN and JOHNNY QUICK a 5-page story

about SUPERBOY...it also contained the last GOLDEN AGE story about THE SPECTRE.

IMG    MORE FUN #101 GREEN ARROW   PAC  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG    MORE FUN #101 AQUAMAN   PAC  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG    MORE FUN #101 SUPERBOY   PAC  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG    MORE FUN #101 JOHNNY QUICK   PAC  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG    MORE FUN #101  SPECTRE   PAC  (200 dpi).jpg