• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, D84 said:

If it is too rich for anyone’s blood I could give you a slight downgrade of a restored 6.5 for only 50% of what they are asking for that 8.0!! :idea:

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Great book and nice copy! Here is mine. Bet it has a better story...

About 25 years ago. I had a friend who was an antique dealer in NY. We made lots of trip back there and he would take us "junking". One day he called me. There was a baseball card shop he went to mostly for supplies. One day the owner showed him something that walked in. Apparently, there was a homeless guy that found some comics in an empty building he was living in. The guy brought in this and another GA book I don't remember as well as 3 other no big deal SA books. He said he was using the comics as a pillow! He just wanted coffee money for them.

My friend called me and told me he wanted $20. each for them. I told him they were worth a lot more but neither of them cared. I bought the this and the other one for $20. each. The guy kept coming in every couple of weeks for a few months and then disapeared. The best one I got was a Shield Wizard #1 in similar shape. I don't remember the rest. I always held my breath when he called. "using them as a pillow" can you believe it? :roflmao:

commorefun64.jpg

That's a great story and the book seems in pretty good shape all things considered!

On 2/19/2021 at 8:46 PM, Robot Man said:

Great book and nice copy! Here is mine. Bet it has a better story...

About 25 years ago. I had a friend who was an antique dealer in NY. We made lots of trip back there and he would take us "junking". One day he called me. There was a baseball card shop he went to mostly for supplies. One day the owner showed him something that walked in. Apparently, there was a homeless guy that found some comics in an empty building he was living in. The guy brought in this and another GA book I don't remember as well as 3 other no big deal SA books. He said he was using the comics as a pillow! He just wanted coffee money for them.

My friend called me and told me he wanted $20. each for them. I told him they were worth a lot more but neither of them cared. I bought the this and the other one for $20. each. The guy kept coming in every couple of weeks for a few months and then disapeared. The best one I got was a Shield Wizard #1 in similar shape. I don't remember the rest. I always held my breath when he called. "using them as a pillow" can you believe it? :roflmao:

commorefun64.jpg

That’s an awesome story!!

On 1/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, D84 said:

It's now relisted for a lower price of $199,999!!! Thats a bargain guys! Surprised it hasn't sold yet

Anyone have a raw copy of More Fun 9?  Unless I missed it, I didn't see one in the thread, and its inside back cover still needs to be indexed for the Grand Comics Database (I'm a contributing editor there).  I also would love to have a decent scan/photo of that inside back to complete my own fiche/digital copy.  If it helps, I'd pay something nominal (maybe $20 via Paypal?) to get one that's complete & legible.  Microcolor used a coverless copy for its fiche version way back when, so fiche and online scans appear to be a dead end.  Thanks for any help!

P.S. the only other Platinum/Golden Age DC stuff that GCD still lacks are the complete contents to the rare Freihofer promo book from the 1940s, and the first Ton of Fun page from Flash 96 (it leads off with a gag featuring a piano).  I have an educated guess as to the Freihofer's (reprinted) contents & order, but hope to someday get verification, and the online scans/fiche for that Flash issue all appear to have the same corrupted image for that Ton of Fun page.  :(  I'd consider buying a really low grade/coverless copy of Flash 96, but they don't seem to pop up very often :) ; I've also PMed boardie and Flash supercollector tabcom to see if he can help.

5 hours ago, JimButlerGA said:

I recently joined the 54 club with a beautiful book hosting slight resto. It will be a blue label at some point, likely when CGC gets caught up. As a collector of only WWII related covers, this was a top 10 target for me.

75C3937D-677B-4959-A6A6-C8A0F9910F5D.jpeg

An All Time CLASSIC, again congrats! Great stuff Jim! Always a treat to see you posting here!