• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Ameri said:

#3 (1st science fiction and 1st female heroine(?) on a comic cover)...#5 (Jack Woods)...#8 (Spike). The 8 was wider and shorter than the early ones.  

New Fun 3 camera.JPG

New Fun 5 camera.JPG

testic.JPG

It's kind of sad to see the lack of interest in these early pre-hero DC books because these are the books that paved the way for what was to come.  :frown:

When I went from collecting comic books fresh off the newsstand and into vintage comic book collecting back in the latter part of the 80's, I skipped right past all of the Marvel SA books because they were just so common.  doh! 

Ended up making my first stop here in the pre-hero DC era of books before settling into the GA where I still am for the most part.  (thumbsu 

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

So pretty Ritchie, but don't you have another even better Mile High issue you can post??? :whistle:

hm

There's no topping that last line up so while everyone is catching their collective collecting breaths I'll post the only More Fun I have from middle through the pre-hero run and featuring a Dr. Occult story. It's all I can do to keep myself from ripping this out of its case to take a look at that story!

tn_CGC MoreFun28.jpg

On 8/9/2018 at 8:34 AM, buttock said:

Gary Carter told me roughly the same way back when.  He said that the editor at DC at the time (I think, one of the big wigs at least) considered More Fun his pet title, so they printed the bare minimum each month to break even.  The number he quoted me was 10,000 issues.  I would imagine there's at least some data out there on distribution or printing numbers that might be able to verify or disprove that.  @scrooge?

It seems like the only people who might have that power or discretion at DC would have been Harry Donenfeld or Jack Liebowitz; neither ever seemed particularly sentimental. I wonder if it might have had more to do with paper restrictions and allotments during the war which might have allowed titles that pre-dated the war to continue to be published with a given paper allocation. I could see them shifting paper allotments to other better selling titles. Purely conjecture on my part but since these guys were hard-edged businessmen this kind of explanation seems more likely.

8 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It seems like the only people who might have that power or discretion at DC would have been Harry Donenfeld or Jack Liebowitz; neither ever seemed particularly sentimental. I wonder if it might have had more to do with paper restrictions and allotments during the war which might have allowed titles that pre-dated the war to continue to be published with a given paper allocation. I could see them shifting paper allotments to other better selling titles. Purely conjecture on my part but since these guys were hard-edged businessmen this kind of explanation seems more likely.

I did a little digging and all I can find are cumulative distribution numbers for DC as a publisher.