• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I do the right thing with my original FF#1?

29 posts in this topic

I'm NOT putting this topic on here to complain about CGC/CCS or their services.

I've been collecting for 50 years and have decided recently to start to sell off my 20K+ book collection. Sent my first four books into CGC for grading just to try the process out. One of them was my FF#1 which I'd purchased from an LCS soon after I'd started collecting. It was always one of my prized books. I love the FF.

It came back Restored/Slight C-1, Grade 4.0, Grader Notes (Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Center Front Cover C-1, Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Full Bottom Front Cover C-1, Light subscription crease front cover breaks color, Readers crease front cover breaks color, Small, multiple smudge back cover)

I was surprised as I'd never noticed the restorations before. After looking carefully with a lighted magnifier, I did see the red ink added to the title letters along the center crease, but did not see any other restorations. I had other collectors and LCS look too and they agreed.

After looking at Go.Collect and GPA, comparing what I thought I'd be able to sell the book for if I did CCS screening / restoration removal / CGC regrade / Universal vs. selling it as a Restored 4.0, I decided to gamble and resubmitted to CCS/CGC.

I got the image of the regraded book today. My first reaction was that I had seriously injured one of my children! The attached comparison front and back covers are attached.

The regraded book is Universal, Grade 3.5, Grader Notes (Light creasing to cover, Multiple hole cover, Readers crease front cover, Small tear center of spine, Subscription crease front cover).

My question is: Do you think I made the right decision strictly from a book FMV standpoint since I'm planning to sell my books?

From a collector perspective, if I was going to keep the book, I know I would eternally regret my decision to do Restoration Removal.

Live and Learn.

1296629-F001.jpg

1296629-B001.jpg

1298620-F001.jpg

1298620-B001.jpg

You did the right thing the book will sell easier went you want to let it go.A great book that will hit its stride because that is truly the first silverage Marvel heroes !

After comparing recent data, the value is certainly there even if the appearance of the book has been somewhat altered. For most folks, the value would be the driving factor. Since you're going to sell the book, this will undoubtedly make it easier to let it go. At least the removal of the color touch didn't affect the grade too negatively---that's a plus.

Bear in mind that most (if not all) collectors would want the blue label book over the PLOD (purple label of death). The most recent sale I could find (last month) puts the value of a 3.5 Universal at nearly 12k. 

Financially, I think you did the right thing.

And, oh yes, one more thing...welcome to the boards!!!

Edited by The Lions Den

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, comicjack said:

You did the right thing the book will sell easier went you want to let it go.A great book that will hit its stride because that is truly the first silverage Marvel heroes !

:gossip:   TTA 13 is a year older. Groot predates the FF. Arguably, Groot is now the first Marvel Silver age (post 01/1956) superhero

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, SilverMAge said:

I'm NOT putting this topic on here to complain about CGC/CCS or their services.

I've been collecting for 50 years and have decided recently to start to sell off my 20K+ book collection. Sent my first four books into CGC for grading just to try the process out. One of them was my FF#1 which I'd purchased from an LCS soon after I'd started collecting. It was always one of my prized books. I love the FF.

It came back Restored/Slight C-1, Grade 4.0, Grader Notes (Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Center Front Cover C-1, Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Full Bottom Front Cover C-1, Light subscription crease front cover breaks color, Readers crease front cover breaks color, Small, multiple smudge back cover)

I was surprised as I'd never noticed the restorations before. After looking carefully with a lighted magnifier, I did see the red ink added to the title letters along the center crease, but did not see any other restorations. I had other collectors and LCS look too and they agreed.

After looking at Go.Collect and GPA, comparing what I thought I'd be able to sell the book for if I did CCS screening / restoration removal / CGC regrade / Universal vs. selling it as a Restored 4.0, I decided to gamble and resubmitted to CCS/CGC.

I got the image of the regraded book today. My first reaction was that I had seriously injured one of my children! The attached comparison front and back covers are attached.

The regraded book is Universal, Grade 3.5, Grader Notes (Light creasing to cover, Multiple hole cover, Readers crease front cover, Small tear center of spine, Subscription crease front cover).

My question is: Do you think I made the right decision strictly from a book FMV standpoint since I'm planning to sell my books?

From a collector perspective, if I was going to keep the book, I know I would eternally regret my decision to do Restoration Removal.

Live and Learn.

1296629-F001.jpg

1296629-B001.jpg

1298620-F001.jpg

1298620-B001.jpg

no.gif

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Everybody else is cheering you on so I'm sure you are happy with your decision.

I agree with you, Bob. While this seems to be the right thing to do from a financial standpoint, the book has definitely suffered. This is a good example of what can happen to a book when you decide to have the color touch removed...

On 8/9/2018 at 7:37 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

As a collector, I hate seeing CT removed by scraping it off.  These CT scrapes never look vintage and it is very obvious what happened to it. It looks terrible. It saddens me that this is all about money and no consideration for the book. Everybody else is cheering you on so I'm sure you are happy with your decision.

I agree, it's actually restoration of a sort as the book is being restored to a state without color touch. I would far prefer the 4.0 with minor CT. While the OP is no doubt happy with the grade, eye-appeal has definitely suffered, and that will impact value, though probably not as much as the PLOD label considering the grade only dropped a notch. 

I hate to point this out but here is another thread where the original poster is one and done. One post, no responses. We seem to see this a lot lately. I just don't understand the mindset to take the time to author a long post, ask a question, but then fail to return to discuss the responses. Instigator ? Troublemaker ? He seemed like a decent fellow. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I hate to point this out but here is another thread where the original poster is one and done. One post, no responses. We seem to see this a lot lately. I just don't understand the mindset to take the time to author a long post, ask a question, but then fail to return to discuss the responses. Instigator ? Troublemaker ? He seemed like a decent fellow. Oh well. 

This was his first post since joining in September of last year, he may be a slow at typing!?:)

I'm sure the OP is very happy, the book sold for a rather remarkable price considering how it looks. Would be a high GPA. I have a suspicion this is the kind of book you will see bounce around in the marketplace. For a 3.5, you could find a book with much better eye appeal. This proves FF 1 is truly on fire.

Mistakes all around.

The color touch was pretty obvious to me. Now with it scraped off the book looks ugly.

If I was a buyer I would pass on this copy and look for another 3.5 to spend my 11-12K on.

Here is another copy with a subscription crease also 3.5. Which copy would you buy?

FF1 3_5.jpg