• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 copies of Action 1 on Facebook group...Are they real?
5 5

179 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

I'm still not sure why we're generally assuming that these 2 copies, whatever they are, were printed and produced in the standard-size for late 1930s golden age comics. 

None of the pictures produced so far to document this find give any reliable sense of scale, except for one: the one with the guy's thumb holding open the front cover. And in that picture, the book clearly appears to be treasury sized...same as in the b&w picture of Siegel and Shuster holding an FFE reprint with the outer card-stock cover removed.

Has anyone in that Facebook group asked the guy to measure the books, or (better) to photograph them next to a yardstick?

imageproxy.jpg.e111a0854a6090e5eb168d4c1f5bfd5a.jpg

FFE reprint does not have the sweat glands on the guys face and is missing some rocks when the car hit's the rock.  The 2 copy's do have the parts the FFE reprint does not.

As I said much earlier in the thread, I believe that the INTERIORS of these copies are bog-standard FFE reprints, wrapped in newly produced (possibly from existing HD scans of the real thing) and "distressed" repro covers.

Edited by jools&jim

12 hours ago, stock_rotation said:

staples.jpg.2be23740d67f15cd57bd362a47071724.jpg

Those last three are the two "barn copies" and the scan of the $3.2mm copy. Amazingly, all three have the staples in the exact same position, even though the location jumps around on every other copy I looked at.  hm

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best evidence yet that these are copies.

Brilliant find.

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

As I said much earlier in the thread, I believe that the INTERIORS of these copies are bog-standard FFE reprints, wrapped in newly produced (possibly from existing HD scans of the real thing) and "distressed" repro covers.

And the poor pics and angled shots are attempts at hiding their size.

Could be.

8 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

This thread has been a lot of fun, I've enjoyed reading it and seeing all the methods used in trying to determine the authenticity of these books.

In case you're interested, I found a website where this super-smart (and handsome) guy completely debunks this find.  :grin:  :whistle:

Kirkland, TX Barn Find of Two Action Comics #1s Debunked

(worship)  :applause:

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

staples.jpg.2be23740d67f15cd57bd362a47071724.jpg

Those last three are the two "barn copies" and the scan of the $3.2mm copy. Amazingly, all three have the staples in the exact same position, even though the location jumps around on every other copy I looked at.  hm

Do you ever think they where bought at the same time from same newsstand :roflmao:

Just now, woowoo said:

Do you ever think they where bought at the same time from same newsstand :roflmao:

I think the guy bought 3 copies. Slabbed one and read the other two.

This thread is an excellent way to show people how to examine books for authenticity with minimal or poor images to work with in general.

It is a good exercise especially for those who are not as experienced checking books out. And it serves as a warning to be on the look out for other similar types of scams.

Sure-- most of us immediately felt these books were bogus -- but explaining how to figure that out is great information to spread to other collectors. Simply saying "those are fake" does not flesh out the methods used (even if those methods take less than a second for some).

14 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

This thread is an excellent way to show people how to examine books for authenticity with minimal or poor images to work with in general.

It is a good exercise especially for those who are not as experienced checking books out. And it serves as a warning to be on the look out for other similar types of scams.

Sure-- most of us immediately felt these books were bogus -- but explaining how to figure that out is great information to spread to other collectors. Simply saying "those are fake" does not flesh out the methods used (even if those methods take less than a second for some).

How do you know they are Fake show me :whistle:

On 8/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Why would anyone have a B/S/T group that's closed to the public...? A bit counterproductive.

Because it is the largest comic b/s/t group on Facebook (almost 40k members), and spammers/bots looove large, high member groups.

Nico runs a tight ship though, it's a pretty solid group.

22 hours ago, wikked said:

Because it is the largest comic b/s/t group on Facebook (almost 40k members), and spammers/bots looove large, high member groups.

Nico runs a tight ship though, it's a pretty solid group.

Except for the scammer with the two fakes.