• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upcoming Art Cons?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Can anyone confirm what Art Cons are confirmed for the remainder of this year? I assume that the NJ Art Con is on for September 8th but I haven't seen any recent announcements or promotion of it? Also, will there be another NYC Art Con later this year or just the usual New York Comic Con in October?

Thanks!

Mike

43 minutes ago, Lago32 said:

Can anyone confirm what Art Cons are confirmed for the remainder of this year? I assume that the NJ Art Con is on for September 8th but I haven't seen any recent announcements or promotion of it? Also, will there be another NYC Art Con later this year or just the usual New York Comic Con in October?

Thanks!

Mike

Comic Art Con NYC Edition - Aug 19

Comic Art Con New Jersey - Sep 8

New York Comic Con - Oct 4-7

No word yet on whether there will be a Comic Art Expo NYC this fall as well.  I know it was talked about, but, nothing has been announced yet.  

1 hour ago, Lago32 said:

Thanks!

Mike

info from yesterday posted...

I thought the NYC art con was organized by a competitor.   if it's the same promoter what is the point of having two shows scheduled just weeks apart with pretty much the same vendors located fifteen miles apart?  is the difference between NJ and NYC that big of a deal to people?  are there vendors that set up at one and not the other?

From Comic Art Con's promoter: "Yes there will one show in NYC on August 19th and one in NJ on September 8th.  As it stands, we will continue to do 2 shows in NJ and 1 in NYC every year.   All vendor and artists announcements will be made next week on our Facebook page, Comic Art Con.  So if you haven’t, “Like Us” on FB.  Thanks for the inquiry."

Very much looking forward to seeing the vendor list! We timed a short trip down to Philly and NYC just perfectly this year (past few years I keep missing this by a week or so), and so this will be my first Comic Art Con!  Wife and son will be along as  A) we'll probably go to lunch after and B) to make sure I don't go TOO crazy.  LOL

A few questions for those experienced with in-person art buying...

1 -  payment methods? Can't imagine someone wants a personal check in that situation... so is paypal and or credit card the assumed payment method?

2 - since we're staying in the city, and I don't necessarily want to carry art around with me... is it reasonable to ask someone to ship something to my house, even though I'm buying it and holding it in my hands?  Is that something that's done often or is that an odd request?

Thanks and look forward to seeing everyone there!  Would love to come home with something, but I'll be happy just to see a lot of the stuff that I can never ever afford. :)

I'm curious about this August 19th show . Dan and Joe are great guys and their shows were/are always the BEST. Having said that ,their previous shows were always announced months in advance ,this august show was just announced a few weeks ago . They have a show in NJ coming up in Sept ,3 three weeks later, and then we have the NYC Comic Con soon after . That's three trips to NY in less than three months for the dealers .Is their really enough interest for all of this activity ? The location on the lower east side is interesting also as I am very familiar with the area. It continues to be an up and coming Fine Arts gallery area but parking is very difficult ..

Again ,Dan and Joe have always put on great shows so I'm hoping they can pull this off....I'm planning to attend so I'm pulling for them!

22 minutes ago, rrichards said:

I'm curious about this August 19th show . Dan and Joe are great guys and their shows were/are always the BEST. Having said that ,their previous shows were always announced months in advance ,this august show was just announced a few weeks ago . They have a show in NJ coming up in Sept ,3 three weeks later, and then we have the NYC Comic Con soon after . That's three trips to NY in less than three months for the dealers .Is their really enough interest for all of this activity ? The location on the lower east side is interesting also as I am very familiar with the area. It continues to be an up and coming Fine Arts gallery area but parking is very difficult ..

Again ,Dan and Joe have always put on great shows so I'm hoping they can pull this off....I'm planning to attend so I'm pulling for them!

Have other commitments, so unfortunately I will miss the NYC show, but same here...the quick notice took me off guard. Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention that they were doing a Manhattan show + NJ.  Seems like a lot of art shows to support this niche of a niche of a community. 

As a fan, the more shows the better.  I support all shows and promotions.  If I have a schedule conflict, I don't go. I'll attend the next one.

All shows have similar names so just a few points to help clarify:

- NY Comic Con (NYCC) is a full blown comic / pop culture show run by media conglomerate Reed Pop (Reed Elsevier).  It's always a 4 day show right before Columbus Day in October.

- Comic Art Expo is run by Zaddick and Terry.  Their show occurred in NYC on May 2018.  It was a great show.  For full disclosure, I set up at this show (Animated Ink) along with Nick Katradis.

The promotion has no plans for a Fall 2018 show but will return in 2019.  Barring any schedule conflict, Nick and I will be happy to attend and / or set up.

- Comic Art Con (NJ and NYC) is now run solely by Joe V.  Dan G. is no longer involved with the promotion.  It's a great show.  Barring any schedule conflict, Nick and I will be happy to attend and / or set up any of the shows in the future.

Regardless of the promotion, I'm sure everyone can attend a show that fits their schedule.  The most important take away is to have fun.  Meet other collectors, grab a bite to eat, have a few laughs.

If you are going to be anti- social, then stay home and buy your art over the internet.  Lol.

All the best.

Cheers!

N.

Is it odd that it’s Wednesday night and there’s no list of dealers who will be at this Sunday’s show? Or is this typical? I’ve never been able to make the NJ shows so this will be my first and I’m really curious to know who will be there.

44 minutes ago, fmaz said:

Is it odd that it’s Wednesday night and there’s no list of dealers who will be at this Sunday’s show? Or is this typical? I’ve never been able to make the NJ shows so this will be my first and I’m really curious to know who will be there.

Yes it is odd.I'm getting the feeling that something is not right here.

48 minutes ago, fmaz said:

No mention of the show on scott eder's website but bechara/nostalgic investments is listed as going as is cool lines. @fmaz you can see actual prices on cool lines art!  Anthony snyder's website says he is going to terrificon  So maybe not the full gang of usual suspects but you will have a good time just looking stuff over. I would encourage you to send the ladies somewhere else as you may want to really look around. It becomes sensory overload after a while. I just checked and Albert Moy will be there, so you should have a good time!

I haven't gone to one of these in a few years myself.

9 hours ago, Bird said:

No mention of the show on scott eder's website but bechara/nostalgic investments is listed as going as is cool lines. @fmaz you can see actual prices on cool lines art!  Anthony snyder's website says he is going to terrificon  So maybe not the full gang of usual suspects but you will have a good time just looking stuff over. I would encourage you to send the ladies somewhere else as you may want to really look around. It becomes sensory overload after a while. I just checked and Albert Moy will be there, so you should have a good time!

I haven't gone to one of these in a few years myself.

That's great info Bird..Albert and Bechara are worth the trip ! (although I'll miss Anthony as he is one of my favorite characters in this hobby)

When ever I view Bechara's table ,it's like a trip to a comic art museum .If any body else knows of dealers that are attending please chime in !

Ok Here's the dealer list for the August19th NY Comic art show (just came out  on Facebook)

Will Gabri-El, Hans Kosenkranius, Bechara Maalouf, Metropolis Collectibles, Rich Donnelly, Frank Giella, Brad Savage, Nathan Rose, Dan Pottick and Albert Moy!

Kinda small but as I said before the "Bechara Museum"is worth the trip ......

On 8/16/2018 at 6:37 PM, rrichards said:

Ok Here's the dealer list for the August19th NY Comic art show (just came out  on Facebook)

Will Gabri-El, Hans Kosenkranius, Bechara Maalouf, Metropolis Collectibles, Rich Donnelly, Frank Giella, Brad Savage, Nathan Rose, Dan Pottick and Albert Moy!

Kinda small but as I said before the "Bechara Museum"is worth the trip ......

Sounds good to me, I’ll be checking it out.  Got a spot on my wall just dying for a new piece of OA! So who else is going?

Bechara and Albert sold all the good stuff in Boston last weekend. :baiting:

I'm sure all the dealers will have something for everyone.  I have other plans but hope to make the next show.  

I am very familiar with the area downtown.  The closest train is the F train to Delancey St.  2 blocks from Clinton St.  The subway is not great since it is 2 levels below street level so lots of stairs.  You will get a cardio workout.  Lol.

Parking isn't the easiest since Delancey St is literally the service road as you exit the Williamsburg bridge.  

The area is gentrifying.

The bldg is newly renovated but you will see pawn shops across the street. Need $ for art?  Pawn your iPhone.  Lol.

There is $1 pizza and $2 empanadas to $30 ramen noodles and $5 tacos in the area.

Have fun.

Cheers!

N.

23 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Bechara and Albert sold all the good stuff in Boston last weekend. :baiting:

I'm sure all the dealers will have something for everyone.  I have other plans but hope to make the next show.  

I am very familiar with the area downtown.  The closest train is the F train to Delancey St.  2 blocks from Clinton St.  The subway is not great since it is 2 levels below street level so lots of stairs.  You will get a cardio workout.  Lol.

Parking isn't the easiest since Delancey St is literally the service road as you exit the Williamsburg bridge.  

The area is gentrifying.

The bldg is newly renovated but you will see pawn shops across the street. Need $ for art?  Pawn your iPhone.  Lol.

There is $1 pizza and $2 empanadas to $30 ramen noodles and $5 tacos in the area.

Have fun.

Cheers!

N.

Lol VEEERRY funny!   Seriously though thanks for the info! I’m sure we’ll cab/Uber from midtown. No reason to try parking. And my guess is we might try to hit Clinton Street Baking Company brunch beforehand if we can get in, if not I’ve got a friend who’ve raved about Pig and Khou ... which we might try after rhe show.  That’s assumimg I have any money left.  I’m budgeting like $200 for a really nice Bronze Age splash page, and $300 for a Silver Age Cover. $350 if it’s like Kirby or Ditko or something.  That’s realistic, right? ?