• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comunication problem with Cadence Comic Art
6 6

199 posts in this topic

There are a number of people I talk to regularly who are also currently experiencing issues and radio silence from Cadence, including cover purchases going missing and not sent, to receiving odd and completely random packages from them.

Wholly unprofessional to ghost people that have sent you thousands of dollars, even if delay issues are out of their hands.

57 minutes ago, aqn83 said:

There are a number of people I talk to regularly who are also currently experiencing issues and radio silence from Cadence, including cover purchases going missing and not sent, to receiving odd and completely random packages from them.

Wholly unprofessional to ghost people that have sent you thousands of dollars, even if delay issues are out of their hands.

Hearing that people receive random stuff makes me wonder if anyone may have received this piece that I was planning on buying but could not be located. In all honesty it may have sold at a convention, but maybe anyone has a lead on that particular piece.

Declan Shalvey - Venom 36

89A31CD7-82CB-41AD-8301-4720C152DF7D.jpeg

On 1/4/2021 at 11:59 AM, Pete Marino said:

Let's see how this plays out now.

Email'd them around 12/1 about some art, they sent me an invoice on 12/7, paid about 15 minutes later.  Radio silence since then.  But they've been kind enough to send me 3 other emails about their sales and "art drops".  So they are active, just not responding to me.

I've sent a couple of follow ups and have had 0 response.

So, no email responses, but a package did arrive, and it had the correct art in it!  Very happy with the art, not so much with the communication from the rep.

I ordered a couple pieces at the end of November and received them the end of December. I think this thread pops up around this time every year.. Cadence has holiday sales on all their artists at that time.. they sell an immense amount of stuff at that time and get  backed up shipping.. personally I would prefer the sales continue even if it means waiting a bit longer for my art... just my 2 cents..

I also think the USPS is a mess right now and that is  amplifying the problem.     

Yes. My #1 feedback to artists and their agents is not "work faster" but "learn the basics of customer service," chiefly the importance of communication. The collector's pleasure in the art can be diminished or even can turn to a net negative if the experience of getting the art felt like pulling teeth.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ll share a different perspective as I haven’t experienced these issues. I have ordered several pieces and the communication has been completely satisfactory. I really enjoy doing business with Cadence and look forward to the next transaction with them. 

5 hours ago, Hockeyflow33 said:

Almost every issue that people post is related to communication. All of us who collect understand that the post office stinks and delays happen. Even updates like "we're pushing the artist to get this done but he has a project he's working on now, we'll check in with you in two months" would be fine. Going radio silent or just saying we'll check and disappearing isn't okay and buyers shouldn't be made the bad guy when they point this out

Exactly this,  I think anyone who's been in this hobby a while has deals that take months to years to do.   But they have some communication.   A simple,  "we're waiting on the artist and it will be in the mail about 2-3 weeks after we get it" would have put me at ease.  That's 30 seconds of work that would earn a return customer. 

I also want to add that they put a dummy tracking number into PayPal after I paid.  I had no idea if it was real and my package was in USPS limbo or not,  which only added to my consternation.

Just got my two Asrar XM pages today.  Good packaging, once the item was sent delivery was fast, but then again I opted for Fedex which is by far the best on the US -Italy route.

Based on my experience on this purchase I would buy from them again.  They do have a stable of good artists!

Carlo M

Boy, I am so happy I found this thread! I had never ordered from Cadence before but been on their site a bunch over the years. On the latest Tula Lotay art drop I snagged a great piece and got the PayPal link 20 mins later. Paid it and got my invoice. That was on July 16th. 

I realize that’s only 3 weeks ago, but the radio silence after the purchase is luckily not something I’ve ever experienced with an art dealer (for published work at least, commissions in a different story). I assumed art was in hand and would ship soon. I now know thanks to this thread that they may not physically have it. After the two week mark I thought it would be ok to inquire what their general turnaround time for shipping was and of course got no response.

The consensus seems to be that I shouldn’t be concerned since in almost every example here the art did eventually arrive. I just think a little communication would go a long way. It’s not cool to plop down a lot of money for something and then it immediately goes into some kind of nebulous grey area. 

On 8/8/2023 at 11:38 AM, Siege Perilous said:

Boy, I am so happy I found this thread! I had never ordered from Cadence before but been on their site a bunch over the years. On the latest Tula Lotay art drop I snagged a great piece and got the PayPal link 20 mins later. Paid it and got my invoice. That was on July 16th. 

I realize that’s only 3 weeks ago, but the radio silence after the purchase is luckily not something I’ve ever experienced with an art dealer (for published work at least, commissions in a different story). I assumed art was in hand and would ship soon. I now know thanks to this thread that they may not physically have it. After the two week mark I thought it would be ok to inquire what their general turnaround time for shipping was and of course got no response.

The consensus seems to be that I shouldn’t be concerned since in almost every example here the art did eventually arrive. I just think a little communication would go a long way. It’s not cool to plop down a lot of money for something and then it immediately goes into some kind of nebulous grey area. 

:wishluck:

I'd like to think it will all work out - I've bought three or four pieces from Cadence over the years (as recently as December 2022) and there was never an issue with shipping.

I don't know if he's making the convention rounds, but if he is, I imagine it's hectic. But you are totally correct, communication is key to making your buyer feel confident about their purchase.

I've been buying from Cadence since 2018...I've never had an issue with getting art.  But delays are a part of the hobby.

If you are waiting on art, keep in mind that they were handling commissions for their artist at back to back cons the last 30 days (SDCC and GalaxyCon Raleigh).  All the art is coming out slow this month from ALL the reps with huge commission list being fulfilled.  I've learned that this is a hobby that requires patients as reps have to wrangle artist and take lists from buyers during busy con seasons...all while traveling themselves.  Cadence had a big roster at GalaxyCon this past weekend and may just be getting back.

On 8/10/2023 at 12:01 PM, IceHole said:

I've been buying from Cadence since 2018...I've never had an issue with getting art.  But delays are a part of the hobby.

If you are waiting on art, keep in mind that they were handling commissions for their artist at back to back cons the last 30 days (SDCC and GalaxyCon Raleigh).  All the art is coming out slow this month from ALL the reps with huge commission list being fulfilled.  I've learned that this is a hobby that requires patients as reps have to wrangle artist and take lists from buyers during busy con seasons...all while traveling themselves.  Cadence had a big roster at GalaxyCon this past weekend and may just be getting back.

I understand and completely agree, I just find it strange that they don’t appear to have an employee that monitors or hell evenly occasionally checks their email box. It’s still a business after all.

I don’t mind waiting for good art, I just find this practice a little baffling. You purchase something and a month goes by without it arriving or without any communication or a response to my inquiry. I would be nervous if that happened with any company I am purchasing an item from art aside.

On 8/10/2023 at 12:40 PM, Siege Perilous said:

I understand and completely agree, I just find it strange that they don’t appear to have an employee that monitors or hell evenly occasionally checks their email box. It’s still a business after all.

I don’t mind waiting for good art, I just find this practice a little baffling. You purchase something and a month goes by without it arriving or without any communication or a response to my inquiry. I would be nervous if that happened with any company I am purchasing an item from art aside.

I get it.  All this you said...I get it.  I understand it all, everything you just said.

But, 5 years into this hobby and this happens about 25% of the time.  Every year for the past 5 years.  This is just how the hobby works.

If you are having trouble reaching someone at Cadence through the site, I can get you Corey or Vinny's email over at Cadence and you might be able to get through that way.

On 8/10/2023 at 12:01 PM, IceHole said:

I don't know who you buy from, but the dealers I buy from -- and that's a lot -- all have good communication skills and ship quickly. Every. Single. One. EXCEPT CADENCE.

I've order 6 pieces in the month of July from 5 different reps/artist...2 commissions.  I've only gotten 1 so far.  SDCC slowed down everything for everyone.  Understanding that both reps and artist travel for cons means that they cannot pack on the road.  That's how their business works.  Seeing that Cadence was at a 3rd consecutive con over this past weekend (Flame Con to help out Tynion and the guys at Scott's Collectables) means they are not at the offices filling orders, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing their best at what they do.  Same is said for any artist that has to travel for conventions.  I don't see how you can guarantee this instant gratification some people have to getting art.  I've waited over 5 months for a page from Heritage once...and they just sit there with the art, but I won't hate on them either...yet.

On 1/6/2021 at 8:43 PM, RBerman said:

Yes. My #1 feedback to artists and their agents is not "work faster" but "learn the basics of customer service," chiefly the importance of communication. The collector's pleasure in the art can be diminished or even can turn to a net negative if the experience of getting the art felt like pulling teeth.

100%

I generally have no problems working with delays when someone has the nutsack to call and explain what's going on. Things come up, it happens to everyone. Not that I'm endlessly patient, but if you respect my purchase enough to communicate with me, I can reciprocate by being patient about it.

On the flipside, when there is too much communication, too many excuses for lack of following through - I generally don't get mad about it, but I learn that that person or business is not someone to deal with in the future.

On 8/12/2023 at 7:49 PM, Michael Browning said:

I appreciate it, but, after the bad experience with Paolo, I won't ever buy from them, again.

I had a pretty lackluster experience about two months ago trying to buy a Tim Seeley piece from some dude named Andrew. I spoke with Tim directly about a cover variant he did, and described it to him (Instagram won't let me send images to Tim via message), and actually asked him if it was a digital piece (which he does) because it looked digital.

He said it is for sale and to contact Andrew at Cadence. I emailed Andrew, told him I talked to Tim, etc and sent along an image of the cover - to which his only reply was:

"THAT'S NOT TIM'S ART!!!!!!!!!!"

So, I apologized for wasting his time, and told him that I suspected it was a digital piece - but at this point, he's not interested. So I give him a few days to cool his heels and then I send a request in for a Tim Seeley commission - when they are coming up, cost on a cover quality 11x17, etc. (I mean, up until this point, I really wanted to add another Seeley piece to my collection). And no response. Considering my first email was answered promptly, subsequent emails are ignored on purpose.

Not sure what the problem is with ol' Andrew and Dr. Balls - but the prescription is to quit buying from Cadence, cold turkey.

No problem there.

Edited by Dr. Balls