• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comunication problem with Cadence Comic Art
6 6

199 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2024 at 1:52 PM, New School Fool said:

Are you just speculating here or you know this for a fact?

Speculating, should have put  "probably" in the 1st sentence instead of the 2nd. However, it makes sense. If you can't pay someone for a commission b/c you are skimming off the top, you delay the order until you can pay the artist. Do that enough times and someone getting art a year later starts to make sense. 

Hi All - rookie question here so go easy. I am owed one piece of art from Cadence that I paid for using Paypal. I spoke to the artist and they said I should raise a case with Paypal. I'm not expecting Cadence to going to respond to the case - so do I escalate to Paypal straight away or do you give them a chance to respond??

(Thanks in advance - this is first time I have had an issue with comics / comic art being non-delivered)

On 2/5/2024 at 6:25 PM, MV said:

Hi All - rookie question here so go easy. I am owed one piece of art from Cadence that I paid for using Paypal. I spoke to the artist and they said I should raise a case with Paypal. I'm not expecting Cadence to going to respond to the case - so do I escalate to Paypal straight away or do you give them a chance to respond??

(Thanks in advance - this is first time I have had an issue with comics / comic art being non-delivered)

If the artist is saying to work through Cadence that makes me think it's not been paid and it might be risky to wait. 

If your payment is under 3 months, you could indeed claim with PayPal and it's up to you if you think that's the best action.  If it's outside of that window, I'm not sure what is best to do beyond cross your fingers and hope.  Sorry.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:49 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

If the artist is saying to work through Cadence that makes me think it's not been paid and it might be risky to wait. 

If your payment is under 3 months, you could indeed claim with PayPal and it's up to you if you think that's the best action.  If it's outside of that window, I'm not sure what is best to do beyond cross your fingers and hope.  Sorry.

Thanks - apologies I didnt word that very well - she said I should seek a refund from Paypal rather than I should raise a case. She did mention the money had never been passed on to her

On 2/5/2024 at 6:25 PM, MV said:

PayPal gives you 180 days to file a claim but why wait? Hopefully you paid goods and services and then you can easily file the claim as item not received.  

On 2/6/2024 at 11:56 AM, Hockeyflow33 said:

PayPal gives you 180 days to file a claim but why wait? Hopefully you paid goods and services and then you can easily file the claim as item not received.  

Thanks everyone for the advice - have escalated to Paypal

On 2/5/2024 at 8:09 PM, MV said:

Thanks everyone for the advice - have escalated to Paypal

If it's a must have piece for your collection, I'd suggest asking the artist to hold the piece for you when/if it gets returned to them.

Hopefully you'll still be able to get the piece, and have the money (actually) go to the artist.

On 2/5/2024 at 11:25 PM, MV said:

I would raise a PayPal claim then contact Cadence and give them like a week to respond. If they get back to you DO NOT close the claim until you have the art in hand.

If they don't get back to you or are messing you around then I would escalate it and maybe even ring PayPal afterwards to explain the situation, as I had a weird case once (unrelated to comic art) and customer service instantly resolved the case for me rather than making me wait or potentially side with the scummy seller.

I'd just make a Paypal claim, and get your money back. That's the only way to ensure no one gets screwed, not you not the artist. You can always resend funds to the artist if/when the commission is done. the previous transaction is null and void if it involved Cadence. Cut bait, it's taking up a line. 

On 2/4/2024 at 7:07 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Kelly Williams: "As of this morning, I'm no longer with Cadence Comic Art. So for the time being any art sales or commissions will be handled by myself. Or not. Who knows. I'm not into post office trips."

Well, if Dicktown ever needs a mayor, this guy is it. :eyeroll:

I had one terrible commission interaction with him. He took the gig (and money) and I gave him some time. He continued to post newer work and solicit others while not completing mine. It took 10 months and 10,000 apologies to finally get it out of the door. He's on the "never again" list for me.

On 2/5/2024 at 3:42 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Was that killer Godzilla commission he posted on social media yours? 

No but I need a Godzilla.  Got a pretty sweet 2-page spread from Godzilla in Hell and had Godzilla as my second choice (and perhaps foolishly still think I'll manage to get a cover at some point...).  Mine was the Doctor Doom - that looked just mental!

Con season is gonna be REALLY interesting once it enters full swing. 

A lot of artists either aren't going to be there or will have to table themselves. Gonna be ripples for a while. 

I have to imagine its a feeding frenzy for the other guys in the biz right now. A lot of great, great artists now free agents. 

To follow up on my previous comment. About 5 weeks ago I ordered a cover from Paolo. He was very responsive for a couple of days when I wanted to purchase the piece, but after payment was made it was radio silence on when the art would ship. After 3 weeks of sending an email a week, I contacted the artist for advice. I was suggested to do whatever I felt was needed to receive the art or money back. At the 4-week mark I opened a PayPal claim for a full refund. It took the full 7 days without any fighting or prolonging the claim from Paolo's end. This afternoon was the 7th day of the claim being opened with PayPal siding with me. The artist said if they receive the art back from Cadence I can purchase it from them. If that ever happens I'll do another update.