• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider Man 301
1 1

87 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, divad said:

I am really starting to wonder how many unsold OPs (original purchases) still exist out there.

Well, isn't this just a matter of basic arithmetic here:

Total number of copies distributed = 284,824

Less total number of slabbed copies = 1,798

Hence, total number of original purchases still out there is probably around 283,000 unslabbed copies just waiting to be encased in their tombs.  :gossip:

Or a whole heck of a lot although I am not totally sure what you mean by unsold original purchases?  ???

Edited by lou_fine

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, isn't this just a matter of basic arithmetic here:

Total number of copies distributed = 284,824

Less total number of slabbed copies = 1,798

Hence, total number of original purchases still out there is probably around 283,000 unslabbed copies just waiting to be encased in their tombs.  :gossip:

Or a whole heck of a lot although I am not totally sure what you mean by unsold original purchases?  ???

Copies that are still in the hands of the original purchasers - that haven't been bought and sold many times over. Even the slabbed "statistic' isn't necessarily accurate, many of those have been bought and sold and cracked and pressed and resubmitted and sold and cracked and signed and resubmitted. I've had at least a dozen copies of this book that I've bought and resold and none of them were original purchases by me. Then you have losses by attrition: copies that have been read to death; copies that have been vandalized; copies that have just been thrown out; copies that have met an accidental demise over 35 years. hm

Your number makes many assumptions, the first being that every copy distributed still exists. Not debating, just wondering. (:

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

So that 301 on ebay has some suspicious bidding. Does this appear to be a shill account?

Capture.PNG

The item description reeks of desperation, look at me, pay more for me, spam spam spam... so there's little doubt that if there is a bidder that looks like a shill, it's the same guy that wrote the auction title.

4 hours ago, I like pie said:

So that 301 on ebay has some suspicious bidding. Does this appear to be a shill account?

Capture.PNG

He also has an ASM 300 and NM98 up, same bidder is winning.  What are the odds?

I wonder if he has a couple of shill accounts, because I saw a different account winning a couple of their other auctions.  one with about 1900 and change feedback.

This is the problem with cheating, everything comes under question.....

Edited by Pete Marino

6 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

He also has an ASM 300 and NM98 up, same bidder is winning.  What are the odds?

I wonder if he has a couple of shill accounts, because I saw a different account winning a couple of their other auctions.  one with about 1900 and change feedback.

This is the problem with cheating, everything comes under question.....

Will reporting make any difference?

4 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Get a 9.6 and call it a day 

Get two CGC 9.6s.  I just saw a regular CGC submitter mention that he's getting 40%-50% 9.8s on his previous rejects.  So, get two CGC 9.6s, odds are good that one of them is a CGC 9.8 in a CGC 9.6 slab just waiting for a resubmit.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Get two CGC 9.6s.  I just saw a regular CGC submitter mention that he's getting 40%-50% 9.8s on his previous rejects.  So, get two CGC 9.6s, odds are good that one of them is a CGC 9.8 in a CGC 9.6 slab just waiting for a resubmit.

301 was actually one of the first I started hunting. I subbed about 5 or 6 raws into a pre screen. That was out of 15 I bought around $20-$35 each.

I may try the resubbing 9.6 option if I find a nice one though.

1 minute ago, I like pie said:

301 was actually one of the first I started hunting. I subbed about 5 or 6 raws into a pre screen. That was out of 15 I bought around $20-$35 each.

I may try the resubbing 9.6 option if I find a nice one though.

Compared to buying a 9.8, you could just keep buying and selling CGC 9.6s until you found the best possible copy and then resubmit it... and still be ahead by hundreds of dollars.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Thats how I usually do it, I buy up nice copies at shows and online, press them and then submit them to CGC, haven't gotten back any 9.8's yet due to spine ticks on the back cover. I do see an increase in price on 9.4/9/6s since the 9.8 is getting out of reach for most people. 

Just now, Kevin76 said:

Thats how I usually do it, I buy up nice copies at shows and online, press them and then submit them to CGC, haven't gotten back any 9.8's yet due to spine ticks on the back cover. I do see an increase in price on 9.4/9/6s since the 9.8 is getting out of reach for most people. 

Right, but you can currently get 8 to 10 copies of CGC 9.6 for the price of just one CGC 9.8.  That's nuts since the census ratio is 4 or 5 CGC 9.6s for every 1 CGC 9.8.  The prices usually match the census ratios pretty well, so there's either money to be made in CGC 9.6s or the 9.8s are going to fall back to 5-to-1 on the 9.6 price.

36 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

I have ASM 298-328 all in 9.8 I'm working on too, I'm missing 299, 301, 306, 308, 324 and 328....No way am I paying almost 2K for a 301 9.8  

I'll check what I have if you like. I may have one or two of the later ones.