• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider Man 301
1 1

87 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, valiantman said:

True, but we're also seeing these market increases for books that are now 30+ years old.  I think this is very different than when 5 year old books suddenly spike, or when current books that are still basically wet ink are supposedly "crazy hot".

Rule of 25, not 30.

:makepoint:

19 hours ago, jjfversion1 said:

Crazy that 9.8's are trading at $1500+ and 9.6's are barely moving at $150 ???

Well, that must be CGC label collectors for you then.  :screwy:

I really should look to see if I had brought a second copy of this book by mistake.  If not, I highly doubt my copy would be in 9.8 condition since I always stored these books in polybagged bricks of 5 and ASM 301 along with ASM 305 would be on the outside.  Hence, the ASM 302 to 304 would have a much higher chance of being in higher grade condition.  :frown:

On 8/9/2018 at 6:10 PM, I like pie said:

If anyone checks out the WTB threads, you probably know I've been hunting this book in a 9.8 for awhile now. It's the last one I need to complete my McFarlane run.

You got to be more honestlol.  You're not just looking for a CGC 9.8 copy (which isn't that difficult to find).  You're looking for the perfect binding that is straight without the black back seeping to the cover.  That's the tough part.

I have a CGC 9.8 in my collection but can't recall if it is a "perfect" cover.  I'll have to take a look.

And as previously stated in this thread, you know this book fluctuates like a roller coaster.  Since Tom Holland showed up in Civil War the Spider-man books have been climbing.  With rumors of the the Spider-verse, PS4 game, Venom, and more rumors of a potential Sony Spider-man movie universe...all the books are on fire:ohnoez:.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Sentence errors

1 minute ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

You got to be more honestlol.  You're not just looking for a CGC 9.8 copy (which isn't that difficult to find).  You're looking for the perfect binding that is straight without the black back seeping to the cover.  That's the tough part.

I have a CGC 9.8 in my collection but can't recall if it is a "perfect" cover.  I'll have to take a look.

And as previously stated in this thread, you know this book fluctuations like a roller coaster.  Since Tom Holland showed up in Civil War the Spider-man books have been climbing.  With rumors of the the Spider-verse, PS4 game, Venom, and more rumors of a potential Sony Spider-man movie universe...all the books are on fire:ohnoez:.

Yea. I didn't put that in the first post but added the nice wrap a few comments down. So you believe the current pricing is movie buzz? I've watched 298-300 and 316 spike, which makes sense with the Venom film but all the other books in that run haven't moved much.  

5 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

You got to be more honestlol.  You're not just looking for a CGC 9.8 copy (which isn't that difficult to find). 

Wow, you are right........I thought I remembered reading here that it was really tough to find uber HG copies of this particular book due to the all-white cover or something like that.  (shrug)

Guess not as I just checked the CGC census and there's a whole ton of them in CGC 9.8 grade at well over a hundred copies.  :S

This is as close as I could get.  The black bleeds to the front but it's only about 1 mm.  Plus the line is perfectly straight vertically.  I had to keep buying/selling 9.8 copies of 301 until I ended up with this one.

Good luck man.  Tough book to find in the condition you want.

***The little flaw in the bottom left corner is because of the camera...not a flaw

20180813_175405.jpg.6f2894c3a1256dac05722c812e42f8ce.jpg

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Flaw

4 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

This is as close as I could get.  The black bleeds to the front but it's only about 1 mm.  Plus the line is perfectly straight vertically.  I had to keep buying/selling 9.8 copies of 301 until I ended up with this one.

***The little flaw in the bottom left corner is because of the camera...not a flaw

Thanks. There have been a couple I passed on that were priced in the $1800 range that had good wraps. This run is well within 3 years to get and the toughest to find was 308(so far).

I want one (eventually) as well and noticed the dramatic overnight price increase. Its like 301 shot up faster than the recent 300 price increase. Not sure what is going on, hopefully this was a bidding war among just a few and correction will come. 

On 8/10/2018 at 8:22 PM, Not A Clone said:

from "another" website...

"ASM #300 wasn't recognized as anything particularly noteworthy for a while after it was released. The first reason it became popular was for the McFarlane art. ASM #300 came out in Feb of 1988, and at the time, the only book that featured McFarlane art that was recognizable as "OMGWTFBBQ!!" McFarlane art would have been Hulk #340-343. ASM #298 and #299's pencils were buried under McLeod inks, and look completely pedestrian. 

However, round about issue #305-307, the market started noticing the hot new Spiderman artist, and the books began their inexorable climb up the charts, peaking two years later with the publication of Spiderman #1. During that time, #298 was the more sought after book, being the "first McFarlane art", and #300 lagged a bit behind. They evened out with the publication of the OPG Update #12 in June of 1990.

Then, when Carnage came about, Venom became popular as a character, and with the publication of ASM #361-363, then #374-375, and finally Lethal Protector #1, ASM #300 left #298 in the dust, where it's been ever since.

ASM #300 wasn't an exceptionally high printed, or high sold, issue, which is why it's held its value over the years."

So I'm guessing somewhere between 270-280k "sold".

fafd69f33afc9b88508ba915479a605e.jpg

That's me. :)

On 8/13/2018 at 3:54 PM, lou_fine said:

Wow, you are right........I thought I remembered reading here that it was really tough to find uber HG copies of this particular book due to the all-white cover or something like that.  (shrug)

Guess not as I just checked the CGC census and there's a whole ton of them in CGC 9.8 grade at well over a hundred copies.  :S

It IS a really tough book to find in 9.8. Well over a hundred 9.8s is nothing compared to the numbers for #298 (631), #299 (671) and #300 (1043)

There are only 127 #301 9.8s of all flavors.

It's the demand for Spidey that drives these numbers. 127 9.8s would be a boatload for, say, New Warriors #13. But no one is interested in New Warriors #13.

On 8/13/2018 at 7:04 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

20180813_175405.jpg.6f2894c3a1256dac05722c812e42f8ce.jpg

Nice book! I like that the black line is straight. That 9.6 pic below is nice also without any black,