• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MF 73 : Is the Bloom Off the Rose ?

76 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
21 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't think the book will sell for six figures this time around

I don't either. Nowhere near.

Is this because you two were the under bidders the last two times this book went into the 6-figures and both of you don't plan on bidding so high this time?  :baiting:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Is this because you two were the under bidders the last two times this book went into the 6-figures and both of you don't plan on bidding so high this time?  :baiting:  lol

No, I wouldn't bid on that book. There's a certain type of collector who goes hard after "hot" books--the type of collector who measures his own worth by what books he owns. That type of collector always has to have the hottest books; his favorite books always happen to be the same books that everyone is talking about. He cares more about impressing other collectors than he actually cares about building a collection. The book isn't the flavor of the month any longer, so no one would be that impressed, so that type of collector will stay away; the type of collector who would have paid six figures for that book has already moved on to whatever is hot at the moment.

6 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

No, I wouldn't bid on that book. There's a certain type of collector who goes hard after "hot" books--the type of collector who measures his own worth by what books he owns. That type of collector always has to have the hottest books; his favorite books always happen to be the same books that everyone is talking about. He cares more about impressing other collectors than he actually cares about building a collection. The book isn't the flavor of the month any longer, so no one would be that impressed, so that type of collector will stay away; the type of collector who would have paid six figures for that book has already moved on to whatever is hot at the moment.

Well said. (thumbsu

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, domuhnator said:

For whatever its worth I would 100% Bid the book past 6 figures if  I had the Coin. But I dont so it dosent really Matter.

+1 

And I don't think for all collectors it is about a hot book. I always loved the Spectre covers so got stadrted on More Fun. It is more of a completist sort of thing rather than a hot book. But in all honesty I will probably never buy the book. It and I just live in different collecting " neighborhoods" it is Beverly Hills and I am ....... not.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:40 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Depends on how the Aquaman movie does.

The bloom is off the rose for the Green Arrow part as the show is on its last legs.

If Aquaman movie is a hit we could see another bump, but if it bombs?

Agree.  The trailer did better than expected and directionally it is moving towards expectations that the film might actually be good.  Overall, I find a tv bump to be a marginal, it worked in some respects for the Martian Manhunter but it wasn't a breakaway.

No bloom lost for me; I think it's a "cooler than its weight class" GA key as the first appearance of the other two characters among the five heroes who were continuously published from the GA through to the SA. Aquaman was on underoos back in the 70's when most kids did not know who Green Lantern or the Flash were!

This is NOT of course an argument for a six-figure collectible investment; I just think it's a cool book, better than the derision it sometimes receives.

39 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

No bloom lost for me; I think it's a "cooler than its weight class" GA key as the first appearance of the other two characters among the five heroes who were continuously published from the GA through to the SA. Aquaman was on underoos back in the 70's when most kids did not know who Green Lantern or the Flash were!

This is NOT of course an argument for a six-figure collectible investment; I just think it's a cool book, better than the derision it sometimes receives.

Your post reminds me that I got a set of DC superhero glasses from Taco Bell, possibly around 1979 (when I would have been five). The set included an Aquaman glass, and my grandmother's automatic dishwasher washed Aquaman's underwear off.

44 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Your post reminds me that I got a set of DC superhero glasses from Taco Bell, possibly around 1979 (when I would have been five). The set included an Aquaman glass, and my grandmother's automatic dishwasher washed Aquaman's underwear off.

THIS explains why he needed the Underoos! doh! Oh, granny!

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

+ 1.  

5 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
On 8/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Looks like six figures is a certainty 

Well, probably not a 100% certainty, but it sure looks pretty close as it will take just a few more hits on the extended bid button during the after auction session to put it over the top.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:

When it comes to key GA books, your should never discount Fishler and his deep connections as he seems to know where all the books are and where all the hungry buyers are and often can put the two of them together.  This makes for the perfect combination when you play the role of the market marker as he has so often in the past, especially before when he was taking a much more active part in the business.   hm

41 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
On 8/11/2018 at 8:14 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Looks like six figures is a certainty 

*yawn*

for 100K I'd much rather have a low grade Bats1 than a high grade MF73 any day, every day.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:40 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Depends on how the Aquaman movie does.

The bloom is off the rose for the Green Arrow part as the show is on its last legs.

If Aquaman movie is a hit we could see another bump, but if it bombs?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Who buys a book like this because of movie hype? This is a whole different universe. Most people who go to the movies don't even read comics...

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Who buys a book like this because of movie hype? This is a whole different universe. Most people who go to the movies don't even read comics...

A ton of people. Specualtion is huge now. The number one reason why comic books have exploded in high prices this last decade is because of the Hollywood hype.

Take away all these big block busters and hit TV shows of the past 15 years, and comics might be puttering along like stamps.

Not many people are even buying the comics for the stories. It's basically Hollywood hype, variants and pretty covers that are the reason for this great huge interest.

I like it to go back to 1986 as well,but that era is long over for comics and most likely never going back.

Disney is going to start their own Netflix soon,so expect the Hollywood hype to continue.

It is what is is.

:preach:

45 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

*yawn*

for 100K I'd much rather have a low grade Bats1 than a high grade MF73 any day, every day.

I SAID IT BEFORE AND i'LL SAY IT AGAIN--I DON;T GET THE LOVE FOR THE 13TH APPEARANCE OF THE DARK KNIGHT AND THE THIRD APPEARANCE OF HIS FAITHFUL WARD 

7 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I SAID IT BEFORE AND i'LL SAY IT AGAIN--I DON;T GET THE LOVE FOR THE 13TH APPEARANCE OF THE DARK KNIGHT AND THE THIRD APPEARANCE OF HIS FAITHFUL WARD 

But grasshopper you forget... First Joker, Catwoman and origin retold, as well. Besides, when you speak to a layman and mention Tec #27 or Bat #1 which one carries the most significance? Then compare that to the first appearance of Aquaman? Although he probably has the longest running appearance of any DC character, he is still just second string. Gimmie Bat #1 all day long...