• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Modern Thread
2 2

32 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

How does that work? Why even have a pre-screen service if it doesn't do what you pay for? ???

It isn't guaranteed, but it usually results in the 9.8. For $5 it catches more of the 9.6 stuff than gets through. Different person grades it after the screening.

9 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

First time I ever got a graders note on a 9.8. I guess just to let me know how close to a 9.9 I was :baiting:lol

Getting grader's notes on a 9.8 while here I am trying to figure out why I didn't get grader's notes on a 9.2. CGC confuses the hell out of me sometimes. 

7 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Getting grader's notes on a 9.8 while here I am trying to figure out why I didn't get grader's notes on a 9.2. CGC confuses the hell out of me sometimes. 

Yeah, that's an odd one. I've always had 9.2 notes that I can remember.

I've always thought of that period somewhere around 365-400 as moving beyond Copper, but that's if you subscribe to the idea of a Chromium Age between Copper and Modern. I think the gimmick covers which would be considered one of the defining characteristics of that age would be indicative of that change in the Spider-Man titles, although I don't think there were any major moves for Spidey that happened in there. I've also seen 361 pitched as the start point for that era with the debut of Carnage. He's just a brighter Venom to me, but I can see the argument as he moved to the forefront of the Rogues Gallery through the rest of the 90's.

361 and 365 were in mid-1992 and I kind of look at the talent exodus which created Image Comics that same year along with Death of Superman/Knightfall over at DC in 1993 as the break points into a new era, so those would be similar transition points for Spidey. Beyond just the shiny covers, another thing that struck me back at the time was the huge changes for the interiors as publishers moved towards higher-quality paper and digital coloring (not sure when this happened with Spidey as I was more of an X-Men reader by that point, even though I continued to pick up ASM through 400). I don't have time to get to my back issues now, but would be interesting to see when Spidey moved off of the newsprint page and onto the premium stuff. It was a little later in the 90's I'm sure, but just think that supports the idea that this period shouldn't be considered late Copper as just everything looked and felt different at this point. With X-Men they were even doing two different editions on the monthlies with high- and low-quality paper, so it was a pretty significant change.

Once Ultimate Spider-Man debuted, that's definitely a hard transition to the actual Modern Era in my mind. Changing Wolverine's origin around the same time was another huge move. It just felt like nothing was sacred anymore :)

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I've always thought of that period somewhere around 365-400 as moving beyond Copper, but that's if you subscribe to the idea of a Chromium Age between Copper and Modern. I think the gimmick covers which would be considered one of the defining characteristics of that age would be indicative of that change in the Spider-Man titles, although I don't think there were any major moves for Spidey that happened in there. I've also seen 361 pitched as the start point for that era with the debut of Carnage. He's just a brighter Venom to me, but I can see the argument as he moved to the forefront of the Rogues Gallery through the rest of the 90's.

361 and 365 were in mid-1992 and I kind of look at the talent exodus which created Image Comics that same year along with Death of Superman/Knightfall over at DC in 1993 as the break points into a new era, so those would be similar transition points for Spidey. Beyond just the shiny covers, another thing that struck me back at the time was the huge changes for the interiors as publishers moved towards higher-quality paper and digital coloring (not sure when this happened with Spidey as I was more of an X-Men reader by that point, even though I continued to pick up ASM through 400). I don't have time to get to my back issues now, but would be interesting to see when Spidey moved off of the newsprint page and onto the premium stuff. It was a little later in the 90's I'm sure, but just think that supports the idea that this period shouldn't be considered late Copper as just everything looked and felt different at this point. With X-Men they were even doing two different editions on the monthlies with high- and low-quality paper, so it was a pretty significant change.

Once Ultimate Spider-Man debuted, that's definitely a hard transition to the actual Modern Era in my mind. Changing Wolverine's origin around the same time was another huge move. It just felt like nothing was sacred anymore :)

I could've told you which issue number the pages changed about a month ago, but now I forget lol. I've been re-reading through all of the Spidey books. I wanna say it happened around #400 but it was probably later. It's interesting that they picked #365 because it has the 3-D hologram and is the first appearance of 2099, which just screams Copper age lol And the Clone Saga hadn't started. But I think that didn't end until about 2 weeks before the Covid stuff hit :bigsmile:

9 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:
2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I could've told you which issue number the pages changed about a month ago, but now I forget lol. I've been re-reading through all of the Spidey books. I wanna say it happened around #400 but it was probably later. It's interesting that they picked #365 because it has the 3-D hologram and is the first appearance of 2099, which just screams Copper age lol And the Clone Saga hadn't started. But I think that didn't end until about 2 weeks before the Covid stuff hit :bigsmile:

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/glossary/

According to "CGC's Glossary", Copper age is defined as follows, along with Bronze age...
BRONZE AGE. CGC Registry term for comics published 1970 through 1979.
View the top Bronze Age comic sets.

COPPER AGE. CGC Registry term for comics published 1980 through 1989.
View the top Copper Age comic sets.

Take that for what you will, because on the CGC label a Batman #234 is considered the 1st Silver Age Appearance of Two-Face.... and it's from 1971

s-l1600.jpgSILVER AGE. CGC Registry term for comics published 1960 through 1969.
View the top Silver Age comic sets.

The fact that Carnage and Spawn debuted within a month of each other is kinda "perfect", if we're looking for lasting characters that separate two eras, but it seems much easier to just focus on decades.

Spider-Man #1 being a 1990 comic and Ultimate Spider-Man #1 being a 2000 comic give solid Spider-based arguments to using nice round decades of 1990s comics as a general "era", and 2000s comics as another "era".

The 1980s have fun high-profile books every two years, NTT #2/DC Presents #26 in 1980, Wolverine limited in 1982, TMNT #1/Albedo #2 and ASM #252/Secret Wars #8 in 1984, Watchmen/Dark Knight in 1986, ASM #300/Killing Joke in 1988... closing out with Sandman #1 in 1989, the 1980s are full enough to stand on their own as "Copper" or just 1980s.

After Bronze Age (which is basically just "the 1970s"), we should drop the unrelated minerals (Seriously, copper?  Is that a secret olympic medal for 4th place?  Chromium?  Why?  You'll be saying "1990s" the moment after you say "Chromium") and just stick with decades. 

:sumo: :foryou:

@Not A Clone I don't know that I would read anything into CGC's point system for the registry as signifying a change in age. They can be all over the place at times and probably just have 365 lumped in as a common book instead of a semi-key, but maybe there is something to it (shrug)

@ADAMANTIUM The Batman 234 note dates back to before the Bronze Age had a name. It's been referred to as 1st SA Two-Face long before CGC came around, so they just continued with the accepted hobby designation of that issue. Plus, 1st bronze appearance might also make it sound like he might've appeared in Silver, so it's kind of confusing either way.

@valiantman :sumo::foryou: Always enjoy your input in the Age vs. Decade discussion even though we disagree. I'd thought of McSpidey as well. It's undoubtedly a key point in the character's history and it was an earth-shaking, perhaps even revolutionary, event for the industry as a whole in terms of both igniting the multiple cover craze, even if it wasn't the first book to try it, and being, at the time, a new pinnacle for the Hot Artist craze. Maybe it ignited the polybag craze as well? Still, it's absolutely another valid marker for the beginning of a new era for the character and the industry.