• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking Dead #1

17 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, mtv2222 said:

What are some thoughts on The Walking Dead #1 going forward??

Try checking any of the Walking Dead threads. Lots of thoughts there.

14 minutes ago, mtv2222 said:

Is this a good investment book??

Hell, no.

8 hours ago, mtv2222 said:

If you had a Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.8 that was graded in 2012... would it be a good idea to have it resubmitted for grading and new slab??

What is the goal? You could send it in for reslabbing if u like the new slab better. But a regrade seems way too risky

9 hours ago, mtv2222 said:

If you had a Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.8 that was graded in 2012... would it be a good idea to have it resubmitted for grading and new slab??

No, why would you even consider this ? I suspect a prank is at play here !  (shrug)

1 hour ago, Ladic said:

I have a slabbed WD #3 9.8, should I sell it now? what cool marvel comic could I buy with that?

You could get a 9.8 New Mutants #87, a 9.8 ASM #361, a 9.4 ASM #300, a 9.6 New Mutants #98....honestly any one of those would be a more sound investment and that's barely scraping the surface (as well as ignoring similar DC investment opportunities)

33 minutes ago, Jose Barajas said:
1 hour ago, Ladic said:

I have a slabbed WD #3 9.8, should I sell it now? what cool marvel comic could I buy with that?

You could get a 9.8 New Mutants #87, a 9.8 ASM #361, a 9.4 ASM #300, a 9.6 New Mutants #98....honestly any one of those would be a more sound investment and that's barely scraping the surface (as well as ignoring similar DC investment opportunities)

these would all be buying high or past their primes in general on these.  But I guess it depends on your investment strategies.

Might consider some 'minor (or newer)' 1st apps that have a chance to blow up more.  But you gotta do your own research now.

But yes I'd sell WD 3 now.

1 hour ago, mtv2222 said:

thinking maybe people would value a Walking Dead 1 that was most recently graded... just brainstorming and wasn't sure if a reslab ment it had to be regraded as well

A new slab or new regrading would add absolutely no extra value to the book. It would be a complete waste of money.

12 hours ago, mtv2222 said:

Is it possible that you could get a CGC 9.9?  Sure, miracles happen but grades higher than 9.8 rarely occur.  Odds are you'll get a 9.8 again and there's a decent chance you'll get a downgrade to 9.6.  Don't waste your time and money regrading a 9.8

2 hours ago, mtv2222 said:

thinking maybe people would value a Walking Dead 1 that was most recently graded... just brainstorming and wasn't sure if a reslab ment it had to be regraded as well

Grading date doesn't mean a lot, old labels graded before pressing was as common might have a little more value but that's pre 2012.

24 minutes ago, mtv2222 said:

thanks guys I really appreciate it.... I'm a huge Walking Dead fan and just started getting into collecting the comics

if you love walking dead and you have the cash, its a must-own.  BUTTTT if your motives are purely investment or financial, it's probably not the right time to buy just now.  If your motives are a mix of personal and financial, then the calculation is one you have to do for yourself.  Many if not all of us own books that we love, that will almost certainly never sell for a profit.  Of course everyone's preferences and financial situations are different.

5 hours ago, mtv2222 said:

thanks guys I really appreciate it.... I'm a huge Walking Dead fan and just started getting into collecting the comics

Welcome! If you're just getting into comics I would recommend doing lots & lots of research before making any big $ decisions. Watch recent sales on ebay, auction houses, etc. There is a site (GPA) that tracks CGC sales also along with comics.gocollect.com. Having this information you can apply it to your budget & formulate a plan of what you want to collect. You could sink everything into 1 hot book like a Hulk #181 or mix it up. Say you had a $2k budget. Maybe buy a $1k hot book, and a few lower priced books that probably have potential to grow. Some newer, some older. That's where you'll have to do your research. Follow these boards daily & you'll learn a lot. Lots of people here with many years of knowledge. They've seen it all. 

As far as your Walking Dead #1, I agree with a lot of others that it's value will probably slide as the show winds down and main characters keep dying or leaving the show. If you love the book though I would hang onto it. I could see where they might make a movie or reboot the series 10-15 years down the line for a new generation. Vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc seem to cycle in popularity like everything else. So it's back to you to figure out what your goals will be. Good luck!