• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bet on BIRO!!!
3 3

104 posts in this topic

I'll throw this one in the mix too, as its one of the tougher ones to find. I've stated this before elsewhere on the boards, but I think of this as a poor man's Cap 46/sleeper book. While it lacks the overtness of shoving someone into the oven, the looks of those in front of the firing squad and the general setting (train tracks, transport vehicle, etc) suggest concentration camp to me. Yet another side of Biro to do one of this sort.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I'll throw this one in the mix too, as its one of the tougher ones to find. I've stated this before elsewhere on the boards, but I think of this as a poor man's Cap 46/sleeper book. While it lacks the overtness of shoving someone into the oven, the looks of those in front of the firing squad and the general setting (train tracks, transport vehicle, etc) suggest concentration camp to me. Yet another side of Biro to do one of this sort.

image.jpeg

.....and this one. Very underrated War cover here.

19 hours ago, sagii said:

Any discussion about our hobby, especially when concerning a giant such as Biro, deserves open discussion whether you agree or disagree with those allegations.  

It's certainly piqued my interest and I will now read the book. 

It's a great book. The most in-depth examination of Wertham's madness (and all that led up to it) and the aftermath.

At times it's a pretty dry read, but it has information you won't find anywhere else.

And an awesome Charles Burns cover.

13 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Good Ol' Charlie Biro.....you can always count on him for child abduction, suicide, attempted murder in an insane asylum, and general violence .... A One-Man Wertham Wet Dream :roflmao:

The ironic thing is, Biro was a bit of a Wertham himself in his attitude toward crime, if you read his editorials in the some of the Crime books. It seemed showing graphic violence was just a means to an end for him, but thank goodness for his quirky methods, or we would be bereft of a multitude of classic covers.

1 hour ago, Grantley Goddard said:

This is a great thread btw. (thumbsu

Which begs a silly question from me; I was never sure so I'll ask. Is the name pronounced "Beerow" or "Byerow"? (shrug)

21 hours ago, Jayman said:

Which begs a silly question from me; I was never sure so I'll ask. Is the name pronounced "Beerow" or "Byerow"? (shrug)

My Art teacher back in the early seventies did some work for or with him and he pronounced it "Beerow".  -_-