• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6 Gift Grade?

9 posts in this topic

I just received a really nice Batman Harley Quinn graded 9.6.  Graders notes mention an indention in the upper right corner.  The book looks like it could have gotten a 9.8 easy without this particular defect.  The indention looks like someone had a few sheets of paper over it and scratched something off on the top sheet in an area about 2/3 an inch wide by 1/4 inch tall, just enough to put this light indention in it. 

I'm pretty happy with it overall honestly, as other than this issue it is a very minty book and is going to look splendid in my collection.  Clearly the graders saw this as it's noted as why it got the grade it got, and not something they missed.  But I am curious given the size of the indention could it have been given a "gift" grade at 9.6?  Or does that seem fair given it's light and otherwise appears to be the only issue. 

What do you guys think?  A solid 9.6 or a slightly generous grade?

bm.jpg

Edited by skeltner

I wonder if that's something that might press out?  In any case, I love that cover.  An Alex Ross self-portrait based on a JC Leyendecker print ad!!!

3 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I wonder if that's something that might press out?  In any case, I love that cover.  An Alex Ross self-portrait based on a JC Leyendecker print ad!!!

Man me too.  I remember seeing this cover in the comics shop back in high school when it just came out.  Even back then, when I was just there with some buddies and had zero interest in comics, I thought to myself "If I were to ever buy a comic for a cover, that's the one I'd want!".  I'm kicking myself for not doing so, cause I was close to pulling the trigger on it.

I agree, there's a good chance it might press out.  It's not a deep impression, and doesn't break color.  If it did, this book would be near flawless.  It's just a beautiful copy.

Edited by skeltner

Hey guys, I noticed this too.  Is this something I should be contacting CGC about?  There's a very small rectangle spot that looks like it may be some sort of glue or sticky stuff on the inside of the inner well.  I can tell when the comic moves, there's a spot on the comic itself that is much fainter, but whatever is on the inner well is leaving a mark of some sort.  The whiter rectangle stays fixed.

Here's an image, with a circled blow up of the area.  The red outlined area is on the inner well, the green outlined area is the faint spot that's now on the comic.  What is this?  Could the inner well have something sticky or some sort of glue on it when they put the comic in it?  It appears whatever this is has now marked the comic, and I fear as the comic moves about slightly in the well, it's just going to stamp more of these spots over time.

spot.jpg

Edited by skeltner

Really tough to comment on these 'spots' without seeing the book in hand. Anything is possible. The inner well has been known to 'catch' foreign items before. I often wondered what happens when a Grader has a sudden sneeze ! After onsite grading, I once had a cookie crumb inside the inner well. I begged them to fix it right away (they did) because I knew the crumb would have oil that may touch the comic. I'm sure CGC will ask you to send the book in for inspection. Call them on Monday. Good Luck.