• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"I can't believe you spent that much on a comic book"
4 4

91 posts in this topic

Just now, SteppinRazor said:

You can't say the same thing about a vacation, because your enjoyment and recollection of it continue.  A car though, is a depreciating asset.

A vacation normally is 1-2 weeks, you can own a car for 10 years. Who cares how people spend their money? People who worry about that or get upset at people who question why they "waste" their money on comics are wasting their time IMHO.

I have never personally looked at comics as an asset, some people do. Live and let live 2c

7 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

A vacation normally is 1-2 weeks, you can own a car for 10 years. Who cares how people spend their money? People who worry about that or get upset at people who question why they "waste" their money on comics are wasting their time IMHO.

I have never personally looked at comics as an asset, some people do. Live and let live 2c

A vacation is just a change of scenery, a car is just a money pit to get you around and i've always looked at comics as an asset, a long term asset 

6 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

A vacation is just a change of scenery, a car is just a money pit to get you around and i've always looked at comics as an asset, a long term asset 

Food is just something you fuel your body with to keep you alive.

Just a question of curiosity, do you ever plan on cashing in on the long term investment and if so, what do you think you'll use it for?

9 hours ago, Skeptic_Kepp said:

I love it when people try to criticize, and express disbelief, in a condescending tone for me spending x amount on " just a comic book."

I then have to bust out the logic and demonstrate how my purchase was way wiser than practically every non-essential purchase they have made in just the past few months (I don't have to go into detail on that aspect as I'm sure most of you have done similar).

It would be fine if it ended there. However, when these people still try to argue it based on emotion while completely ignoring my points. These people make me nerd-rage. That's all. Just needed to vent.

2s7f5eu.jpg

Imagine their disbelief at whomever spent 3.1 milli on the Action #1 9.0 a number of years back

8 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Food is just something you fuel your body with to keep you alive.

Just a question of curiosity, do you ever plan on cashing in on the long term investment and if so, what do you think you'll use it for?

Yes I will one day, I'm not one of these guys who will "have it buried with me"  in retirement I will eventually sell it all. 

15 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Yes I will one day, I'm not one of these guys who will "have it buried with me"  in retirement I will eventually sell it all. 

My mother and father in-law ( divorced ) are like the grasshopper and the squirrel. My MIL likes to travel, eat at nice restaurants and generally have a good time, while my FIL's idea of a good time was visiting his mother in Kansas and that's pretty much it. 

I try to find a happy medium.

4 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I wouldn’t equate buying a nice car with buying drugs, little on the hyperbolic side no?

I’m not going to knock anyone for how they spend their money as long as they’re not hurting anyone.

I was merely using VintageComics examples.  Based on the options given (comics, car, vacation, drugs), I just meant to point out that I felt expenditures on comics/vacations were more worthwhile when compared to luxury cars/drugs.

I'm like you, I don't care nor do I judge how a person spends their money as long as it doesn't harm anyone.  Drugs can clearly harm people and those around them.  I mean I would absolutely buy a luxury car if I had expendable income and felt the money couldn't be better used elsewhere.  Now, if you're living in poverty and you're spending money on comics, vacation, and cars?  Then I'm definitely gonna judge you because you're placing your short term happiness over the financial well being of you and your family.

6 hours ago, Logan510 said:

A vacation normally is 1-2 weeks, you can own a car for 10 years.

You can.  It will never be worth more than just before you drove it home though

6 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Who cares how people spend their money?

That I agree.  Unless I earned it for you, I couldn't care less if you light it on fire.  Even if I did earn it for you, I wouldn't have done so unless I didn't care what you did with it.

57 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

You can.  It will never be worth more than just before you drove it home though

That I agree.  Unless I earned it for you, I couldn't care less if you light it on fire.  Even if I did earn it for you, I wouldn't have done so unless I didn't care what you did with it.

I’m not debating that a car will be worth more after you buy it. 

I just find it a little silly that people feel the need to justify something they don’t need by citing its potential investment value, while putting down other things that people don’t need because they don’t have a monetary investment value.

If I let that rule my life i’d be eating just enough to exist, never going anywhere except to work and back and driving a Yugo. That sounds like a really boring way to go through life to me.

Edited by Logan510

19 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The first expensive book I ever bought when Lou and I got together was a pretty big 5 figure book.

I walked up to her at a show and flashed it with a smile. She asked how much it cost.

I replied with the dollar amount.

Her reply? "As long as you can pay the bills and it makes you happy."

I never understood people who balk at spending a lot of money on a collectible, which often hold their value, compared to dropping huge money on car, a vacation or a ball of crack-cocaine - all of which lose their value upon purchase.

Spouses? Rejoice your husband has a comic habit and not a cocaine habit.

Funny you mention drugs.

I recently bought a comic off of a boardie for a chunk of change. It was the most I had spent on a book (until today when I spent $800 on a book from ebay on accident, but theres another thread on that...) 

For a couple minutes after I made the purchase, I had a feeling of guilt/remorse.

But then I realised up until mid last year I would easily blow a minimum of 300 every second or so weekend on a bender full of drugs, booze and bad manners, and be left with a headache and an empty wallet at the end of it all... and some good memories to be fair.

I've calmed down alot since then, and feel much better in the long run to be spending money on something I can have and enjoy that will (hopefully) retain its value.

Your mileage may vary however - but I find it easier to explain 'you spent how much on a comic book?!' Rather than 'You put how much money up your nose?!' lol

59 minutes ago, SerialGrape said:

Funny you mention drugs.

I recently bought a comic off of a boardie for a chunk of change. It was the most I had spent on a book (until today when I spent $800 on a book from ebay on accident, but theres another thread on that...) 

For a couple minutes after I made the purchase, I had a feeling of guilt/remorse.

But then I realised up until mid last year I would easily blow a minimum of 300 every second or so weekend on a bender full of drugs, booze and bad manners, and be left with a headache and an empty wallet at the end of it all... and some good memories to be fair.

I've calmed down alot since then, and feel much better in the long run to be spending money on something I can have and enjoy that will (hopefully) retain its value.

Your mileage may vary however - but I find it easier to explain 'you spent how much on a comic book?!' Rather than 'You put how much money up your nose?!' lol

I knew a guy a long time ago that put a Trans Am up his nose in one day.:roflmao:

Ahhh! Drug fueled memories. :cloud9: