• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"I can't believe you spent that much on a comic book"
4 4

91 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, oakman29 said:

My wife used to give me A lot of grief too, that is until I actually sold a comic to fund my daughter's wedding. She had no idea, even though I told her differently,  that I made so much profit on a single comic book.

She used to say "they are only worth what someone will give you for it".

Now she doesn't say anything.^^

Same here.  My wife thought I was crazy, but after selling a few comics that I was planning on selling anyway to fund a vacation..I've never heard another criticizing word from her.  She still doesn't understand it all but she's accepted it.

7 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Same here.  My wife thought I was crazy, but after selling a few comics that I was planning on selling anyway to fund a vacation..I've never heard another criticizing word from her.  She still doesn't understand it all but she's accepted it.

It feels good when you can shut the little womans mouth just once.:whatev:

the little battles won.:cloud9:

21 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The first expensive book I ever bought when Lou and I got together was a pretty big 5 figure book.

I walked up to her at a show and flashed it with a smile. She asked how much it cost.

I replied with the dollar amount.

Her reply? "As long as you can pay the bills and it makes you happy."

I never understood people who balk at spending a lot of money on a collectible, which often hold their value, compared to dropping huge money on car, a vacation or a ball of crack-cocaine - all of which lose their value upon purchase.

Spouses? Rejoice your husband has a comic habit and not a cocaine habit.

Comics are like crack though - I've never seen anyone that's been able stop at one comic lol

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Hmmmm,   "It feels good when you can shut the little womans mouth just once"

Flexing those I'm king of the castle typing skills I see.

Though she does know where to buy the great books for special occasions.

Oakman- throwing Bob a bone because he tells his wife to only buy from him.

16 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

You can't say the same thing about a vacation, because your enjoyment and recollection of it continue.  A car though, is a depreciating asset.

I've always thought travel was a waste of money, gone forever. While on vacation, I would think about the comics I could have bought with the money. As far as the recollection, it fades over time, especially the emotional feelings. AT some point, it's no different than the memory of a good movie.

15 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

AKA Slab Accumulators....

That was only true before the internet  and UHD television!

Edited by Bomber-Bob

7 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I guess I'm the only odd one here that gets nothing but love from my spouse when I make a comic book purchase. 

She knows I'd be able to sell it for 5 x the purchase amount had I chose to

Try making a 5K purchase, and see if you still get love...

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Man, I really feel for those of you who have to lie to your wives about your comic purchases or most anything for that matter. Not what marriage is about to me. I guess I am lucky or smarter...

Oh no, I don't lie to her. I just don't get a lot of love when buying pricey books.

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Oh no, I don't lie to her. I just don't get a lot of love when buying pricey books.

I know how you feel. When I bought my ‘49 Indian Chief it was pretty quiet in my house for a couple of weeks! :roflmao:

But, I didn’t lie and the money came from selling comics and other collectibles. She just doesn’t like motorcycles or bikers...:devil:

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

I guess I'm the only odd one here that gets nothing but love from my spouse when I make a comic book purchase. 

She knows I'd be able to sell it for 5 x the purchase amount had I chose to

My wife is amazing.  Her only concern is the plan on paying for purchases.  If that is solid, then she does not care how much I spend.  She also gets attached to certain books and pitches a fit if I announce I am going to sell.  She still has not forgiven me for selling my Captain America Comics while I was unemployed for 6 months last year.  While I regret the necessity of doing so, I do not regret doing so.  I also want those books back but their cost is just too prohibitive relative to other books that would make me just as happy.  I also cannot sell anything now without her approval. :roflmao::luhv:

Edited by Badger

5 hours ago, SerialGrape said:

Funny you mention drugs.

I recently bought a comic off of a boardie for a chunk of change. It was the most I had spent on a book (until today when I spent $800 on a book from ebay on accident, but theres another thread on that...) 

For a couple minutes after I made the purchase, I had a feeling of guilt/remorse.

But then I realised up until mid last year I would easily blow a minimum of 300 every second or so weekend on a bender full of drugs, booze and bad manners, and be left with a headache and an empty wallet at the end of it all... and some good memories to be fair.

I've calmed down alot since then, and feel much better in the long run to be spending money on something I can have and enjoy that will (hopefully) retain its value.

Your mileage may vary however - but I find it easier to explain 'you spent how much on a comic book?!' Rather than 'You put how much money up your nose?!' lol

And I've never seen anybody ruin their life by collecting comics...

They all say they can't believe I spent that much on a comic book...

until I tell them later how much I sold it for.

Then the questions and attitude change.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I've always thought travel was a waste of money, gone forever. While on vacation, I would think about the comics I could have bought with the money. As far as the recollection, it fades over time, especially the emotional feelings. AT some point, it's no different than the memory of a good movie.

I wish these boards had a dislike button.

3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

This thread is an excellent way to show people how to examine books for authenticity with minimal or poor images to work with in general.

It is a good exercise especially for those who are not as experienced checking books out. And it serves as a warning to be on the look out for other similar types of scams.

Sure-- most of us immediately felt these books were bogus -- but explaining how to figure that out is great information to spread to other collectors. Simply saying "those are fake" does not flesh out the methods used (even if those methods take less than a second for some).

Um... what thread do you think this is?