• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forbes report on the Aug HA auction
1 1

12 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Is this article written by the Felix Podcast guest from a while back?

Yes, same guy. He's also a collector, but not plugged in. More of an outside observer. I filled him in a little, after we stopped recording, which may be reflected in this article (where he mentions "hidden dynamics").

Interesting article.  I still think there’s little chance of speculators having any sort of major impact on the comic art market, at least not in the way they did with the card and comic markets when those seemed to have some magic at various times.  I think art markets are seen (rightly so) as too complicated for that sort of casual investment.

I’ve often compared it to the way buying a used car is a lot more complicated than buying a new car.  Personally, I love the process of negotiating to buy a new car, and have helped many friend/family member get a really good deal on theirs over the years.  There’s a game to it and you don’t need to know anything about cars really to play it.  But to buy a used car? You need to know CARS.  That market requires a much more complex knowledge set.  I feel like the comic art market looks like that to those who might only have passing knowledge of the world of comics.  

18 minutes ago, fmaz said:

Interesting article.  I still think there’s little chance of speculators having any sort of major impact on the comic art market, at least not in the way they did with the card and comic markets when those seemed to have some magic at various times.  I think art markets are seen (rightly so) as too complicated for that sort of casual investment.

I’ve often compared it to the way buying a used car is a lot more complicated than buying a new car.  Personally, I love the process of negotiating to buy a new car, and have helped many friend/family member get a really good deal on theirs over the years.  There’s a game to it and you don’t need to know anything about cars really to play it.  But to buy a used car? You need to know CARS.  That market requires a much more complex knowledge set.  I feel like the comic art market looks like that to those who might only have passing knowledge of the world of comics.  

I don't know, when I read stuff like this, I remember an old Spencer Beck post on Comicart-L a few years ago about looking to buy "high quality" art for someone and he had like a million dollars to spend for them.

So if you hire someone who knows the market to build your portfolio, it becomes much easier to jump in.

2 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

I don't know, when I read stuff like this, I remember an old Spencer Beck post on Comicart-L a few years ago about looking to buy "high quality" art for someone and he had like a million dollars to spend for them.

So if you hire someone who knows the market to build your portfolio, it becomes much easier to jump in.

That’s a good point, Pete.  It requires the creation of layer of middle men, and turns the speculators into pure “investors” with no real stake or knowledge into what they’re buying... much like someone buying stock through a broker.  I don’t know if the fine art market works that way in general, but your theory makes complete logical sense. I just hope I can scoop up the few more pages I really want before it does. LOL 

4 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

First, what fun is that.

Second, literally every rich guy who's returned to comic collecting or OA collecting with an open wallet and hired some hobby insider to procure items for him has run away screaming a short time later after finding out badly they've been taken for a ride.

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Second, literally every rich guy who's returned to comic collecting or OA collecting with an open wallet and hired some hobby insider to procure items for him has run away screaming a short time later after finding out badly they've been taken for a ride.

Examples?