• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The grade is in! PGM TTA 44
2 2

20 posts in this topic

This book just looks a bit too good for a 4.5 as there are really no long creases diagonal or otherwise that I can see. Book has real nice color, and could use come cleaning on the back. Those look like cutter tears on the right which would be more production related. Sometimes I grade these more as to what is not there. 5.0

Edited by DR.X

11 hours ago, DR.X said:

This book just looks a bit too good for a 4.5 as there are really no long creases diagonal or otherwise that I can see. Book has real nice color, and could use come cleaning on the back. Those look like cutter tears on the right which would be more production related. Sometimes I grade these more as to what is not there. 5.0

Thanks everyone... this is more along the lines of what I was thinking but was not sure. keep the thoughts coming!

15 hours ago, DR.X said:

I see where you're coming from with the 5.0...  :wishluck:

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I guess it actually is possible to grade a book without holding it in your hands...hm

not all the time as you still need to inspect the interior for staples, tears, writing, coupons, etc. first though you need to have some grading skills. I really thought that would come back a 5.0. I'm going to banish myself. :sorry:

3 hours ago, DR.X said:

not all the time as you still need to inspect the interior for staples, tears, writing, coupons, etc. first though you need to have some grading skills. I really thought that would come back a 5.0. I'm going to banish myself. :sorry:

You win some you lose some... My TTA 35 came back with this one a 5.5 and thought that was a 5.0 max!

6 hours ago, DR.X said:

Strange as it seems, I like to feel the weight of a book. Photos and scans, unless they show the book at an angle, don't pick up indentations that well. I made an ebay purchase on a book that when it was in hand looked as though it had been used extensively as a writing desk.

I'm happy if I get 0.5 either way on online grading, so 5.0 isn't a bad call. (thumbsu

16 hours ago, DR.X said:

I'm always amazed when we get anywhere near the right grade with these books. I like to see the book up close and in good light. I also like to inspect the pages, because it helps determine whether the book has been taken care of or not. It's nearly impossible to grade a book just by seeing a scan or two, and it's a credit to all the folks here that we do as well as we do (yeah, I'm a poet). So there's absolutely no need to banish yourself, Dr. X... (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Strange as it seems, I like to feel the weight of a book. Photos and scans, unless they show the book at an angle, don't pick up indentations that well. I made an ebay purchase on a book that when it was in hand looked as though it had been used extensively as a writing desk.

I'm happy if I get 0.5 either way on online grading, so 5.0 isn't a bad call. (thumbsu

Absolutely Gnasher! The best we can do here is to give an educated guess. I'm very impressed by you and the other graders here on these boards...(worship)

56 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Absolutely Gnasher! The best we can do here is to give an educated guess. I'm very impressed by you and the other graders here on these boards...(worship)

You're not going to accept this, but I've learnt a great deal from you, as well as DR. X and the others who contribute. If you remember, I think I mentioned my prime reason for joining the boards to learn and improve grading. I'm still learning, and hopefully improving, and I do think it's going to be an ongoing thing. We do learn something new everyday here.

It's +1 to your comment above. (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

You're not going to accept this, but I've learnt a great deal from you, as well as DR. X and the others who contribute. If you remember, I think I mentioned my prime reason for joining the boards to learn and improve grading. I'm still learning, and hopefully improving, and I do think it's going to be an ongoing thing. We do learn something new everyday here.

It's +1 to your comment above. (thumbsu

I accept, I accept!  lol