• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi I’ve recently got back into comic collecting and would like to CGC some books. This one I am not clear on. It seems like some pages were trimmed, but not sure. If you look by staple there are some pages that look shorter, trimmed. I’m wondering if this book is a total failure grade wise- I’d like to slab but not even sure I’d get a 0.5. It does have MVS. More pics below. Thanks for any help, excited to be part of the community!

0277563B-11AF-4B8F-BEEB-9A78D7080F9A.jpeg

474EDF20-99D5-43A1-828E-14365A916F90.png

AE0073C1-52CA-43AC-BE52-43BD051237CD.jpeg

1.0 - 1.5

The spine split is just over half the length of the book (more than 2" split keeping it out of "good" 2.0), but not more than 2/3 of the entire length (maximum allowed for "fair" 1.0).  first wrap also looks split.

chunk missing from the left bottom corner cover and spine.  

front cover color-breaking crease upper right corner and a few noncolor-breaking creases bottom right corner, moderate amount of cover wear, mild soiling, small tears upper back cover and near beast's hand at spine split.

the edges of the detached pages near the spine look very straight so possibly trimmed (why you'd trim the spine edge of the page, I have no idea), but could also just be where the wraps pulled away cleanly from the destroyed spine binding. 

It's got to be one of the nicer fair - fair/good copies i've seen of that book.  still a lot of nice eye appeal, even with all the defects and damage.  The front cover alone presents like a 4.0

I'd put it in a shiny mylar if you want to display it.  If you're going to sell then CGC it.  The demand is there, especially for a low grade but nice looking key like this.

Edited by davet75