• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers / Rinse and Repeat model
7 7

283 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Not an excuse but maybe an explanation. Have you ever sold at a show? The whining and stuff a dealer has to put up with is amazing. Most collectors are cool but you just get so may “know it alls” and rude collectors when you’ve put out so much money and time to bring you quality material. I am always polite and respectful to dealers. If I don’t like their prices, grading or attitude I just quietly move on to dealers that service my needs better. The longer you do this the more jaded some seem to get. I’m sure Bob will be happy to confirm this...:roflmao:

Some do get Jaded but some continue to have a smile on their face each day.  On a side note - here is a recent picture of Bob:

Jade Man.jpg

3 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I would not say that over time you become jaded.  Unfortunately with customers that I know for a few years I tend to know ahead of time who is easy to work with and those who will grind you down to the point of telling them to go F off.  Now before readers of this go and say "Is he talking about me you know who you are". 

First time customers can determine their responses by a number of things that give them away.

1).  When you are tapping away on your phone I know you are on GPA.  When you see me tapping away I'm looking up my cost into the book.

2).  Flipping open the price guide.  You are a OSPG guide buyer and the only thing I need to find out is what percentage of guide type buyer you are.  Slamming the book shut quickly is not a good result on my end.

3).  Taking 3 hours to make a buying decision.  You have a limited budget and are doing math in your head to determine what percentage of the pile you will buy.  Your offer generally comes in pretty close to your credit limit or cash in the wallet.

4).  "I'm just curious" means you have NO money and are wasting my time.  Very few "I'm just curious" customers ever buy something.  The Bob or John face is what you will usually get.

5).  "What is your most expensive book".  Again you have no money and are basically wasting my time.  I'm not a museum and while you are trying to impress your wife,  girlfriend on what she should have let him buy years ago it basically results in No sale on my end.

6).  Quoting GPA will generally result in my finger tapping on my phone.  Playing games with GPA like picking which average works for you doesn't always result in good responses.  

7).  Asking me if i want to "Turn this over quick" on a $45K book and offering me $30K will result in a pretty fast response.  It is generally not a good one.

8).  Fair offers result in sales.

9).  Trade as payment is not Retail for Retail.  I am taking on YOUR expense/time of selling the book.  

10).  Commenting that you don't want to pay higher prices for "Graded books" won't get me to lower the price.  It is YOUR choice not to buy graded books.  It is MY choice to sell them.

AKA it is a retail job the same as any other.  Yet I am sure all same cranky dealers want a smile from the person handing them that fast food for their drive out of town.  It really isn't that hard to be polite regardless of the situation.  This list is just a series of excuses used to be rude.

2 minutes ago, slg343 said:

AKA it is a retail job the same as any other.  Yet I am sure all same cranky dealers want a smile from the person handing them that fast food for their drive out of town.  It really isn't that hard to be polite regardless of the situation.  This list is just a series of excuses used to be rude.

I'm sorry, but the customer is not always right.

Bob is a good dude. Like any customer / dealer relationship, you get out what you put in. My dealings with him have always been good, but I'm not there to waste his time or ask for 30% off his asking price 2c

12 minutes ago, slg343 said:

I never expect a fast food person to be having a great day/every day while handing me a cup of coffee or cheese danish. 

My buyer expectations are to be treated fairly,  the same way I would treat them if I were buying from them.  I'm very easy to sell to.  You have a price,  I ask what type of discount can you do.  I look up my numbers.  If the numbers work we have a deal,  if they don't I state what I can pay.  If they can do them they have a sale,  if they can't I understand and move on.  

I am not expecting them to be smiling or giving me a Hard sell to get me to buy something.  

Edited by blazingbob

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Bob is a good dude. Like any customer / dealer relationship, you get out what you put in. My dealings with him have always been good, but I'm not there to waste his time or ask for 30% off his asking price 2c

I am sure he is.  Doesn't change the fact that everything on that list can be solved with polite response.  People are people and you are working a retail business, customer doesn't have to be correct to be treated politely.  There is a subtle art to politely letting someone know it is time for them to move on. 

Here is something often overlooked.  Could be someone looking for a book that overhears a dealer be dismissive and decides he doesn't want to partake. 

3 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I never expect a fast food person to be having a great day/every day while handing me a cup of coffee or cheese danish. 

My buyer expectations are to be treated fairly,  the same way I would treat them if I were buying from them.  I'm very easy to sell to.  You have a price,  I ask what type of discount can you do.  I look up my numbers.  If the numbers work we have a deal,  if they don't I state what I can pay.  If they can do them they have a sale,  if they can't I understand and move on.  

I am not expecting them to be smiling or giving me a Hard sell to get me to buy something.  

Hard sell is not being polite.  Being polite is saying no sorry can't do that price have a nice day.  Or excuse me please don't pick up those books I would be more than happy to help ..................  it really isn't hard.

Anyways completely off topic now, I was more just following up on your 1st joke. 

Edited by slg343

If it is worth mentioning, I went to the Used Book Store today, the comic guy wasn't there to talk to but new comics had not come in either.

I did find Coyote #11 the first published McFarlane, which I did not own yet, and it was in decent shape....

I must have missed it last Tuesday, I can't imagine, but I must have been flustered that day...... :sorry: thanks for you guys going easy on this noob ^^

People have a bad day sometimes, sorry to unload on the boards, I'll try to be more cheerful (thumbsu but again thanks for being polite! :foryou:

20180816_141543.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Add pic

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

I would not say that over time you become jaded.  Unfortunately with customers that I know for a few years I tend to know ahead of time who is easy to work with and those who will grind you down to the point of telling them to go F off.  Now before readers of this go and say "Is he talking about me you know who you are". 

First time customers can determine their responses by a number of things that give them away.

1).  When you are tapping away on your phone I know you are on GPA.  When you see me tapping away I'm looking up my cost into the book.

2).  Flipping open the price guide.  You are a OSPG guide buyer and the only thing I need to find out is what percentage of guide type buyer you are.  Slamming the book shut quickly is not a good result on my end.

3).  Taking 3 hours to make a buying decision.  You have a limited budget and are doing math in your head to determine what percentage of the pile you will buy.  Your offer generally comes in pretty close to your credit limit or cash in the wallet.

4).  "I'm just curious" means you have NO money and are wasting my time.  Very few "I'm just curious" customers ever buy something.  The Bob or John face is what you will usually get.

5).  "What is your most expensive book".  Again you have no money and are basically wasting my time.  I'm not a museum and while you are trying to impress your wife,  girlfriend on what she should have let him buy years ago it basically results in No sale on my end.

6).  Quoting GPA will generally result in my finger tapping on my phone.  Playing games with GPA like picking which average works for you doesn't always result in good responses.  

7).  Asking me if i want to "Turn this over quick" on a $45K book and offering me $30K will result in a pretty fast response.  It is generally not a good one.

8).  Fair offers result in sales.

9).  Trade as payment is not Retail for Retail.  I am taking on YOUR expense/time of selling the book.  

10).  Commenting that you don't want to pay higher prices for "Graded books" won't get me to lower the price.  It is YOUR choice not to buy graded books.  It is MY choice to sell them.

My interaction with you in April is as follows:

I was looking for specific books that fit into my specific collecting wants.

1. You greeted me. Not in an overly friendly way but certainly not rude.

2. I found a book I had been looking for awhile and looked on the back for the price.

3. The price was over what it had been selling for versus ebay and GPA though I made no reference of it nor looked at my phone. I just knew as it had been on my want list for some time.

4. I asked what you could do on this book.

5. You gave me an answer that was fair and I bought said book.

Arguing over a dealers price as a customer is pointless. Had he quoted a price I wasn't comfortable with I would have passed and moved on. I find some dealers can be rude but I have witnessed customers being even more rude. 

11 minutes ago, DR.X said:
33 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

1. You greeted me. Not in an overly friendly way but certainly not rude.

what did you expect, a box of pastries, or a hand full of Hershey Kisses. :foryou:

According to bob's earlier quote, he is a fan of conventions that promote through cuddling.

Edited by valiantman

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If it is worth mentioning, I went to the Used Book Store today, the comic guy wasn't there to talk to but new comics had not come in either.

I did find Coyote #11 the first published McFarlane, which I did not own yet, and it was in decent shape....

I must have missed it last Tuesday, I can't imagine, but I must have been flustered that day...... :sorry: thanks for you guys going easy on this noob ^^

People have a bad day sometimes, sorry to unload on the boards, I'll try to be more cheerful (thumbsu but again thanks for being polite! :foryou:

20180816_141543.jpg

Those guns need to be shooting spaghetti webs!

3 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I am.