• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I signed up for a FedEx account...now what?

6 posts in this topic

I'm starting to get a little tired of the high cost of Registered Mail as well as the week long shipping times.  So I signed up for a FedEx account this weekend, but I don't know how it works from here.  I know I just put my account number on my CGC form, but once CGC is ready to ship my package, how does it work?  Do I receive a notification and then fill out an online form?  At which point do I get to select insured amounts?  The FedEx site from what little browsing I've done doesn't seem particularly helpful which doesn't exactly inspire me with much hope.  ???

you have to call cgc and get a shipping form from them.  Once you fill that out one time, they will add your fedex account officially.  Just select the correct box on paper forms.  It should populate on the online form.  If you use fedex manager, it will automatically email you shipping information whether you use your account or not. Fedex only allows up to a small amount of insurance and you can't add it after the fact i don't think.  You want to sign up with a free insurance company like shipsaver or shipinsure  which allows one off's and then insure whichever packages you want once they are sent by CGC.  Rates much cheaper than USPS.  

I use https://www.shipsaver.com for any packages coming to me or priority over $100 from my ebay sales.

Edited by Pirate
clarifying stuff.

4 hours ago, Pirate said:

you have to call cgc and get a shipping form from them.  Once you fill that out one time, they will add your fedex account officially.  Just select the correct box on paper forms.  It should populate on the online form.  If you use fedex manager, it will automatically email you shipping information whether you use your account or not. Fedex only allows up to a small amount of insurance and you can't add it after the fact i don't think.  You want to sign up with a free insurance company like shipsaver or shipinsure  which allows one off's and then insure whichever packages you want once they are sent by CGC.  Rates much cheaper than USPS.  

I use https://www.shipsaver.com for any packages coming to me or priority over $100 from my ebay sales.

Thanks.  I'll look into shipsaver.  This all seems needlessly more complicated than it needs to be.  Like how is your shipsaver account linked to your FedEx account?  It just seems odd to pay the shipper and insurance separately.  I wish you could set up a USPS account since they offer shipping and insurance together.

It isn't complicated, but you want cheap options.  You have to enter in the tracking number and description into shipsaver.  You can call Fedex and ask, but I don't think they cover above $100 unless you use overnight or something.  It's the point  of shipping cheap, you want expensive, use USPS registered.

On 8/13/2018 at 2:31 AM, ExNihilo said:

I'm starting to get a little tired of the high cost of Registered Mail as well as the week long shipping times.  So I signed up for a FedEx account this weekend, but I don't know how it works from here.  I know I just put my account number on my CGC form, but once CGC is ready to ship my package, how does it work?  Do I receive a notification and then fill out an online form?  At which point do I get to select insured amounts?  The FedEx site from what little browsing I've done doesn't seem particularly helpful which doesn't exactly inspire me with much hope.  ???

I have a FedEx account.  The problem is it's a crapshoot as to the actual charges you will be billed for.  You never know what's going to show up on your statement and the online calculator isn't the slightest bit accurate.  What I mean by this is on some packages you will be charged AHF, that is an additional handling fee if the package is over a certain size and dimension.  Then there are the add fuel surcharges if you ship or receive something in a particular zip code that they deem too far out.  Then they automatically charge you $10 if you request a pickup. The best advice I can give you would be to persistently call in and tell them you would like to set up monthly statements that way you aren't continually calling in and trying to get credits for them overcharging you.  Believe you me I've been there and done that.  FedEx became such a PITA which is why I now ship exclusively through the USPO. For all the s&*# I give them they are highly efficient.