• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181

13 posts in this topic

Have a chance to buy this in the next few days ... book is not in hand, and the pics below are not the best, sent by the owner ... MVS in tact; the stain(!) in the 'H' looks like someone tried to rub out some writing ... on the inside of the fc, the discoloration looks like it is in the same spot as the 'H' is on the fc ... hmmm ... any thoughts?

20180812_210552.jpg

20180812_210557.jpg

20180812_210603.jpg

20180812_210607.jpg

20180812_210620.jpg

20180812_210642.jpg

20180812_210651.jpg

20180812_210710.jpg

20180812_210718.jpg

20180812_210630.jpg

On 8/15/2018 at 11:24 AM, thunsicker said:

Looks like it was color touched between photos.  After, before and bleedthrough.

after.jpg

before.jpg

bleedthrough.jpg

Sorry to bump an old thread...but i was wondering how much does color touch like this effect the grade?                    

I know theres a big difference between amateur and professional restoration...this looks like amateur...looks like someone used markers...

Someone said it would get a purple label...but would it be worth less because of the amateur restoration instead of professional

19 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

Sorry to bump an old thread...but i was wondering how much does color touch like this effect the grade?                    

I know theres a big difference between amateur and professional restoration...this looks like amateur...looks like someone used markers...

Someone said it would get a purple label...but would it be worth less because of the amateur restoration instead of professional

With restoration the main things will be how much is there, what type (color touch, cleaning, pieces added, etc.) and how ‘reversible’ is it.  E.g. professional color touch, tear seals, and pieces added will be easier to remove giving a higher grade blue label then amateur.  With this example you would have to remove the whole sections to get it to a blue label, with professional you might be able to scrape off the color touch.

55 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

With the restoration on this book..what do u think the grade and value is

Bill, you are always looking for a simple answer to a complex question. I tried explaining this to you recently in the popped staple thread (which you never replied). As with all things CGC, 'it depends'. Some factors include how much CT, what is the CT trying to cover up, what other flaws does the book have, etc. In theory, the grade of a PLOD should include the flaw that the CT is covering up. Ex a coloring breaking spine tic, a tape pull, etc. With this book, I can't tell why it was touched up. The pics are so bad any grade would be a guess. I know you are trying to learn to grade but your questions are often too general, analagous to 'how much does lunch cost' or 'how much does a Bronze Age comic cost'.

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Bill, you are always looking for a simple answer to a complex question. I tried explaining this to you recently in the popped staple thread (which you never replied). As with all things CGC, 'it depends'. Some factors include how much CT, what is the CT trying to cover up, what other flaws does the book have, etc. In theory, the grade of a PLOD should include the flaw that the CT is covering up. Ex a coloring breaking spine tic, a tape pull, etc. With this book, I can't tell why it was touched up. The pics are so bad any grade would be a guess. I know you are trying to learn to grade but your questions are often too general, analagous to 'how much does lunch cost' or 'how much does a Bronze Age comic cost'. 

thank you I understand what your saying...

but the reason why my question are general is because in this case...I have comics with this exact same color touch...and I mean exactly...

thats why I'm asking "what would the grade be for this comic and how much would the color touch effect this comics grade"

this was just a perfect example for me....this comic has nearly identical Color touch to some of my comics that I dont know how to grade...

I get that I'm probably asking a question that doesnt have a definitive answer...but I just thought if someone could lock down a grade on this one...it would give me at least a starting point on some of mine...

the overwhelming majority of Color touch I see is Professional and not done with Markers....This Comic looks like its was done with Markers by an amateur...so I thought it was perfect to try and get some answers on...

thank you for the reply though

3 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

thank you I understand what your saying...

but the reason why my question are general is because in this case...I have comics with this exact same color touch...and I mean exactly...

thats why I'm asking "what would the grade be for this comic and how much would the color touch effect this comics grade"

this was just a perfect example for me....this comic has nearly identical Color touch to some of my comics that I dont know how to grade...

I get that I'm probably asking a question that doesnt have a definitive answer...but I just thought if someone could lock down a grade on this one...it would give me at least a starting point on some of mine...

the overwhelming majority of Color touch I see is Professional and not done with Markers....This Comic looks like its was done with Markers by an amateur...so I thought it was perfect to try and get some answers on...

thank you for the reply though

Bill, I understand, thanks for the reply. I don't think the CT itself knocks the grade down, that's taken care of by the Purple Label. However, if the CT is covering something up, and it usually is, that affects the grade. Note the grade of a Purple label is treated differently than a Green Label, where the flaw is ignored in the grade. 

I'd add that color touch like this with bleed through is usually frowned on more than professional color touch which doesn't have bleed through.  But like Bob said, the grade wouldn't necessarily be affected, but the purple label especially with the amateur notation would have more of an effect on the value.