• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four #1
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Do yourself a favor and read the above post concerning the X-Men #1 which was recently graded by PGX.

Even if the grade is accurate on this FF #1 (to my eyes, it doesn't appear to be anywhere near a 6.5) you should also have serious concerns about the interior of this book---apparently PGX hasn't mastered the Silver Age Marvel page count yet.

Moreover, a thorough restoration check by a qualified professional should be done as well, for obvious reasons.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the boards...

Edited by The Lions Den

As is, probably no better than 4.5, and that assumes no restoration and that the book is actually complete. I wouldn't gamble on more than a couple hundred dollars on a PGX book, or the price of .5 if it's higher. It's worse than buying raw, where at least you can inspect and return if something was missed. With PGX, you'd have to crack the slab, which potentially makes a return difficult, even if the label doesn't reveal the truth.

I'd be a bit concerned that the back cover spine roll seems greater than the front cover image would indicate. The book looks like it could benefit from a press, but I don't think that would get it close to 6.5.

29 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That cover does not appear to match up with the content. I suspect a Married Cover (Restoration) may be at play here.

This is starting to remind me of the time we found a color copy cover with color touch on it... :facepalm:

PGX blows big time. Something looks seriously wrong with this book. Looking at the front the miswrap appears to be minimal. but the back scan looks like the pages are all fanned out and the edge of the cover looks sliced. And as a previous poster said the staples look a bit shinny compared the the wear on the rest  of the book. I'd really like to inspect this book out of the slab, but I have shark movies to watch on syfy.