• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Michael Turner fans?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I used to bunch his stuff in with the cheese of the late 90's and early 2000's but I have really started to appreciate it more and more and find it rather striking and unique. Since his passing it has been very tough landing some of his OA. Prices are insane.  Anyone have any and would like to share?

Here are some cool ones I came across.

MichaelTurnerWitchblade.jpg

oGfMaUda_1804172130011sbpi.jpg

2lEkbTaB_2104161051211gpadd.jpg

avjPe8na_2104172140201gpadd.jpg

zpmyAF0F_0805171306151gpadd.jpg

I want to get that Superman/Batman artist edition one day. I like the artwork in that first issue and some of the other pages. Witchblade from what I remember was really well drawn. Same goes for that Witchblade and Tomb Raider crossover issue. I saw some so so quality head sketches in one of his hardcovers that made me want to stick to original artwork. But some artists don't make the best sketches at times with markers. I read some where that his art was priced not to sell or for people that really wanted it. I think it was on an official Aspen forum.

36 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

I want to get that Superman/Batman artist edition one day. I like the artwork in that first issue and some of the other pages. Witchblade from what I remember was really well drawn. Same goes for that Witchblade and Tomb Raider crossover issue. I saw some so so quality head sketches in one of his hardcovers that made me want to stick to original artwork. But some artists don't make the best sketches at times with markers. I read some where that his art was priced not to sell or for people that really wanted it. I think it was on an official Aspen forum.

That artist edition is great. It also includes all the cover work Turner did for DC (Flash, Supergirl, IC) during that time

Turner was an exceptional talent and I admire his work.  Browsed through entire Heritage archive and found-- strangely enough-- only 1 of 35 pieces Turner had drawn bare feet (seen Blaster's pic #2 above).  Like his famous Fathom #1 cover, most of the Turner art shows feet covered up by water, clouds, grass, boots, etc. or truncated the page margin.  Searching Google images, 98% of published covers have the same...not Leifeld-level aversion but one could argue its close. Maybe Turner just drew the idealized female/goddess forms that his readers wanted.  Anyway, a curious observation for this amazing artist and a "footnote" lol (excuse the pun!) at that.   Examples:

11770547%5D,sizedata%5B200x400%5D&call=u

14371252%5D,sizedata%5B200x400%5D&call=u

Link to search:  Heritage archives

fathom-1a.jpg

turners work is stunning to me. i think he was a throwback artist you simply dont see many who can put out the quality he did. i look at some of the artists who are hot right now like campbell and its almost comical the attention they good. i would like to ask campbell to draw me a female character without that pointy nose. just one that doesnt look exactly like every other female character he draws because if he could do that it would be the only female he has ever drawn that didnt look exactly the same in the face. turners work was exceptional 

I love Turner art, and miss him terribly.

The one piece I would own before any others is the cover to Witchblade #25, Fathom variant.

Of course, that's " lollollollol dream on, fanboy" territory, so...

1566485.jpg

PS. I love that Lonestar pixelated Sara's behind... lol

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 8/22/2018 at 8:53 AM, GreatEscape said:

Turner was an exceptional talent and I admire his work.  Browsed through entire Heritage archive and found-- strangely enough-- only 1 of 35 pieces Turner had drawn bare feet (seen Blaster's pic #2 above).  Like his famous Fathom #1 cover, most of the Turner art shows feet covered up by water, clouds, grass, boots, etc. or truncated the page margin.  Searching Google images, 98% of published covers have the same...not Leifeld-level aversion but one could argue its close. Maybe Turner just drew the idealized female/goddess forms that his readers wanted.  Anyway, a curious observation for this amazing artist and a "footnote" lol (excuse the pun!) at that.   Examples:

11770547%5D,sizedata%5B200x400%5D&call=u

14371252%5D,sizedata%5B200x400%5D&call=u

Link to search:  Heritage archives

fathom-1a.jpg

HUGE Turner fan for nearly 22 years here. I live Turner.

At any rate, great feet observation!! ? But don't get Turner wrong, this man drew the whole anatomy with no problems. I would LOVE to have a published OA, but the price is way too much for my means. I just have an original quick sketch of Aspen and nearly *** of his covers. Very impressed with what some collectors have obtained of his OA.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:19 PM, ExNihilo said:

$10k, I could get a Jim Lee piece for that amount.  Guess I'll just keep settling for art prints for the time being. 

if you sold all your art prints for what you paid, how much would it be?

I own this OA spread from Fathom Vol.1 Issue 4. Pages 10 and 11. The subject matter of the scene always gets me, mostly due to Mr. Turner's amazing art. All the tiny details that he used to do with his talent and I must add that the inking that Mr. Weems does, is superb. And I love the fact that from the few pictures that you will find on the Internet of Micheal Turner you get to see the Spread that I proudly own on his drawing table. Sorry for the light reflections from the glass of my frame on the pictures.

Happy Holidays!

20191214_131229.jpg

2019-12-15_035845-7.jpg

20191215_161047.jpg

2019-12-15_040239-2.jpg