• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your more obscure favorite comics? Hidden gems?
2 2

77 posts in this topic

latest?cb=20080811212916

My favourite issue in Hellstrom’s Bronze Age run, and, for me, easily the best.  Many of the Marvel Spotlight issues are still readable, even though Gerber’s stories aren’t as imaginative as, say, those in his Fear / Man-Thing series.

In this short, 8 issue, eponymous run, the preceding 7 issues by a now forgotten writer, John Warner, are overwritten and poorly paced, but the series finishes, or is cancelled, with this excellent story.  Some of Russ Heath’s best-ever artwork, very reminiscent of Bissette and Totleben’s later 80s interpretation of Hell in Swamp Thing Annual 2,  and a very inspired story from Bill Mantlo; one of the weirdest Christmas comics you’ll ever read.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I love the series Dalgoda. Published by Fantagraphics in the late 80s, it had a story by Jan Strnad and art by Dennis Fujitake. It lasted just 8 issues but then came back with a 4-issue mini-series a few years later with an Alan Moore co-feature. It was a futuristic space opera starring an anthropomorphic dog-alien, a son older than his father, romance, you name it. The story holds up pretty well, all things considered, and the art is crisp. I always wanted the artist to do more comics, but after some series here and there, he sort of disappeared. (Strnad wrote, among other things, the very cool Sword of the Atom series with Gil Kane.)

dalgoda.jpg

58 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Dead@17 from Viper comics is one of my guilty pleasures.

dead17-01-1-638.jpg

My hidden gem is the rare UK Underground book Horrific Romance-a very small print run and the art and stories are great!!  Sample dialogue as woman is being attacked by zombies:  Aaaaaa!!! Keep away from me you ghastly m*****f*****s!!!!
I cant post the full cover as it has nudity but here's a glimpse:

Screenshot 2018-08-13 at 10.33.42 PM.png

6 hours ago, RCheli said:

(Strnad wrote, among other things, the very cool Sword of the Atom series with Gil Kane.)

+1 Good series.

More outside the mainstream too, such as his work with one of my favourites, Richard Corben. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

big Jim Shooter fan-Marvel made sure to shoot this company down before it could get rolling They did not want Shooter and Co. to get another Valiant going. 

SplatterballNN.jpg

WarriorsOfPlasm001.jpg

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

latest?cb=20080811212916

My favourite issue in Hellstrom’s Bronze Age run, and, for me, easily the best.  Many of the Marvel Spotlight issues are still readable, even though Gerber’s stories aren’t as imaginative as, say, those in his Fear / Man-Thing series.

In this short, 8 issue, eponymous run, the preceding 7 issues by a now forgotten writer, John Warner, are overwritten and poorly paced, but the series finishes, or is cancelled, with this excellent story.  Some of Russ Heath’s best-ever artwork, very reminiscent of Bissette and Totleben’s later 80s interpretation of Hell in Swamp Thing Annual 2,  and a very inspired story from Bill Mantlo; one of the weirdest Christmas comics you’ll ever read.

Completely agree about Heath's work on this issue. One of the best things he ever did. 

15 hours ago, Bird said:

I was just going through some shortboxes and saw some comics that I know that I love more than most of you. I was hoping that maybe others could share some of their favorite comics that are generally unrecognized.

I can start obviously.

One of my favorite comics of all time is written by Alan Moore but is one most people have not read or are unaware of. I have posted about this comic before. It has early (the first?) art by Carlos D'Anda, who laughed and told me all about the assignment when I told him how much I loved the comic. The official name is Wildstorm Spotlight #1. It incorporates a bunch of characters from the Wildstorm Universe in a one-and-done comic that tells the story of the end of time and the birth of the universe. Yeah, good stuff.

80402-18001-105396-1-wildstorm-spotlight

That issue is SOOOO good. I bought it way back when, I picked up the whole run of Moore Wildcats books for 50 cents each, as well as this one, and some odds and ends. Had no idea how much I'd love all of it! His entire WildCATS run is a lot of fun, but yes, this Majestic story is one of his best ever, no question about it. A terrific single issue comic story.

Any love for Marder's Beanworld? I've been a fan since I picked an issue out of the 25 cent bin when I was a kid. Nothing else quite like it.

913339.jpg

Dreadstar (whole epic run)

Batgirl Special

Empire by Waid & Kitson

Six from Sirius (2 mini series by Paul Gulacy)

Edited by Pirate

18 hours ago, RCheli said:

I love the series Dalgoda. Published by Fantagraphics in the late 80s, it had a story by Jan Strnad and art by Dennis Fujitake. It lasted just 8 issues but then came back with a 4-issue mini-series a few years later with an Alan Moore co-feature. It was a futuristic space opera starring an anthropomorphic dog-alien, a son older than his father, romance, you name it. The story holds up pretty well, all things considered, and the art is crisp. I always wanted the artist to do more comics, but after some series here and there, he sort of disappeared. (Strnad wrote, among other things, the very cool Sword of the Atom series with Gil Kane.)

dalgoda.jpg

You got me interested.  Looks a lot like an earlier Copperhead or Alien Legion.

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

That issue is SOOOO good. I bought it way back when, I picked up the whole run of Moore Wildcats books for 50 cents each, as well as this one, and some odds and ends. Had no idea how much I'd love all of it! His entire WildCATS run is a lot of fun, but yes, this Majestic story is one of his best ever, no question about it. A terrific single issue comic story.

This is a wise man. Y'all should listen to him.

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Any love for Marder's Beanworld? I've been a fan since I picked an issue out of the 25 cent bin when I was a kid. Nothing else quite like it.

913339.jpg

I'm a big fan of Beanworld, I have a complete set of the Eclipse run and also a complete set of the Beanworld run in Liefeld's anthology title, Asylum and the Holiday Special from Dark Horse.