• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your more obscure favorite comics? Hidden gems?
2 2

77 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I recently ordered it.

My caveat is that the .cbz versions of the Deluxe Editions are low resolution copies, which is easy to tell from the overall file size. I suppose they would be okay with a decent upscaling comic reader, but it’s still a bit stingy when compared to the recent Kodansha manga bundle.

Fair enough... but they still sell those Deluxe Editions (in physical form) for $49+, so supplying a stack of them digitally for $15 is hardly stingy.  The PDFs are probably nice, right?

Just now, valiantman said:

Fair enough... but they still sell those Deluxe Editions (in physical form) for $49+, so supplying a stack of them digitally for $15 is hardly stingy.  The PDFs are probably nice, right?

I haven’t downloaded the PDFs, but those look like much larger file sizes and higher res images.

The ‘stingy’ was comparative, such as 6 Mb images in the Frank Thorne Red Sonja Artists Edition from Dynamic Forces, and many 3 Mb + images in the near 40 Gb .cbz bundle from Kodansha.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

I haven’t downloaded the PDFs, but those look like much larger file sizes and higher res images.

The ‘stingy’ was comparative, such as 6 Mb images in the Frank Thorne Red Sonja Artists Edition from Dynamic Forces, and many 3 Mb + images in the near 40 Gb .cbz bundle from Kodansha.

I know nothing about Kodansha, but I'm not surprised that Dynamic Forces is all about the graphics.  Content is not their forte. lol

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I know nothing about Kodansha, but I'm not surprised that Dynamic Forces is all about the graphics.  Content is not their forte. lol

Some of their stuff’s quite readable, such as Matt Wagner’s Green Hornet : Year One, Jeff Parker’s Flash Gordon.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Some of their stuff’s quite readable, such as Matt Wagner’s Green Hornet : Year One, Jeff Parker’s Flash Gordon.

How many issues do they produce?  My experience with DF is that they can get to #4... maybe up to #8 within a couple of years... but generally give up in favor of a different #1 title to hype. 

It may be different for creators that are motivated, but their own re-use/re-imagining of copyright-expired material is usually a #1, followed by a couple of issues, followed by a different #1, with variants, negative variants, and reversed negative variants.

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

How many issues do they produce?  My experience with DF is that they can get to #4... maybe up to #8 within a couple of years... but generally give up in favor of a different #1 title to hype. 

It may be different for creators that are motivated, but their own re-use/re-imagining of copyright-expired material is usually a #1, followed by a couple of issues, followed by a different #1, with variants, negative variants, and reversed negative variants.

The ones I got in the bundle were complete storylines, such as the 12-issue Green Hornet Year One.  I recall getting their very readable Lone Ranger series quite regularly about 10 years ago.

Admittedly, though, as a publisher, not even close to the consistency of modern Valiant.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The ones I got in the bundle were complete storylines, such as the 12 issue Green Hornet Year One.  I recall getting their very readable Lone Ranger series quite regularly about 10 years ago.

Admittedly, though, not even close to the consistency of modern Valiant.

Green Hornet sounds interesting... sad that it only has 12 issues, but that could be a fun quick read.  Their Project Superpowers experiment is really what I'm referencing when I say all flash, no substance.

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Their Project Superpowers experiment is really what I'm referencing when I say all flash, no substance.

To the point, I have given up with their output for now. Still, in the midst of all that there are some entertaining little runs like their 18 issues run of The Spider or IIRC the 12 issues run of The Black Bat was also enjoyable to read. But, yes, by and large, too uneven for me to commit to anymore, not when Image is coming out with new series on a monthly basis or I can support the 4-issue runs from Alterna comics for super cheap. That's where my Dynamite money is now going to.

4 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Which titles came in the bundle and which did you like? :popcorn:

Complete runs of ‘Ghost in the Shell’ and ‘Battle Angel Alita’. 

A lot of quality Manga there.

Also, every volume of ‘Ajin: Demi-Human’ (11 in total), ‘Seven Deadly Sins’ (22) and ‘Inuyashiki’ (10), which I haven’t looked at yet.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/13/2018 at 10:26 PM, RCheli said:

I love the series Dalgoda. Published by Fantagraphics in the late 80s, it had a story by Jan Strnad and art by Dennis Fujitake. It lasted just 8 issues but then came back with a 4-issue mini-series a few years later with an Alan Moore co-feature. It was a futuristic space opera starring an anthropomorphic dog-alien, a son older than his father, romance, you name it. The story holds up pretty well, all things considered, and the art is crisp. I always wanted the artist to do more comics, but after some series here and there, he sort of disappeared. (Strnad wrote, among other things, the very cool Sword of the Atom series with Gil Kane.)

dalgoda.jpg

Amazing book. There was a b&w variant of this as well as a preview version if not mistaken

On 8/15/2018 at 4:00 PM, Drummy said:

These are not very obscure, but just overlooked and/or hidden away in a second-tier Marvel title from the '70's.  This four-issue arc of MTU was one of my faves from my childhood -- well worth reading!  

Image result for marvel team-up, 41     Image result for marvel team-up, 42     Image result for marvel team-up, 43     Marvel Team-Up Vol 1 44

image.jpeg

I love that arc too. A rollicking good time

Was at a good friend's house last night, playing music together for the first time in many years, and then talking about helping him sell off his collection of stuff. Mostly music and some toys, but also a couple of boxes of comics. Brought up some great memories of all of the terrific 80's funny animal books that Fantagraphics used to do. Some of them probably verged on "furry book" territory a bit more than I'd like to admit, but no question that I loved these titles in particular. Dog Boy was a singularly odd experience, loved it.

715981.jpg

58386-3684-91381-1-adventures-of-captai.jpg

50 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Dylan Dog Case Files

+1

If you liked that, try the new Dimension W. series. It has in the first volumes the same vibe as Dylan Dog and later veers to a more personal storyline for an extended set of volumes. Not supernatural though but same atmosphere.

Dimension-W_Dimension_W_volume_1_2016_co