• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

It seems that the knowledge of warehouse finds of the past has been lost except for us old timers. I base this statement on the bidding and pricing I see on books that are listed as scarce that are for GA books rather common. Did you know that their was a major Dell warehouse find called Poughkeepsie. In the early 1980s you couldn't do a show back east with out seeing 4 Color one shot file copies at every booth. There were multiples of most titles including Duck and Mouse one shots. PCH books are very hot right now, but are you aware that there were Ace, Nedor/Better and Harvey warehouse finds that had multiples of all the horror books and in the case of Nedor/Better that means yes those treasured Startling, Thrilling and Fighting Yank books were all  there in multiples? If you are using the term scarce to mean tougher to find than a SA book, that would be true. But, in terms of what we have always meant in the past, it is untrue. One of the most satisfying aspects of collecting GA books is that you can't go to 1-2 shows and complete your collection, the only variable is price. When you collect GA books it can take several years if not your entire collecting lifetime to complete a title or a publisher. If you can't wait, then collect SA books to present books, GA books is not where you belong. More to come... Best, Ron Pussell, aka Redbeard.

Intriguing post.

I would assume the Harvey warehouse finds contained their 50's output, and not wartime (esp. '41 to '43) books?

I always enjoy getting the wisdom of the early dealers.  You see the Dell file copies up for sale on Heritage every once in a while.  One of the things I've noticed about those file copies, though, is the page quality is often not white.  Consequently, I've got a coupy

1 minute ago, sagii said:

Intriguing post.

I would assume the Harvey warehouse finds contained their 50's output, and not wartime (esp. '41 to '43) books?

The Dentist's kid has been auctioning off Harvey file copies for years now on eBay.  But, I haven't seen real early stuff.  50s appears relatively common.

I think its great when the early dealers start sharing their stories and wisdom.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I always enjoy getting the wisdom of the early dealers.  You see the Dell file copies up for sale on Heritage every once in a while.  One of the things I've noticed about those file copies, though, is the page quality is often not white.  Consequently, I've got a coupy

The Dentist's kid has been auctioning off Harvey file copies for years now on eBay.  But, I haven't seen real early stuff.  50s appears relatively common.

I think its great when the early dealers start sharing their stories and wisdom.

I agree! I kept thinking, is that the Redbeard?

Thanks for the Harvey info! I have a few Looney Tunes Dell file copies.

Edited by sagii

18 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

It seems that the knowledge of warehouse finds of the past has been lost except for us old timers. I base this statement on the bidding and pricing I see on books that are listed as scarce that are for GA books rather common. Did you know that their was a major Dell warehouse find called Poughkeepsie. In the early 1980s you couldn't do a show back east with out seeing 4 Color one shot file copies at every booth. There were multiples of most titles including Duck and Mouse one shots. PCH books are very hot right now, but are you aware that there were Ace, Nedor/Better and Harvey warehouse finds that had multiples of all the horror books and in the case of Nedor/Better that means yes those treasured Startling, Thrilling and Fighting Yank books were all  there in multiples? If you are using the term scarce to mean tougher to find than a SA book, that would be true. But, in terms of what we have always meant in the past, it is untrue. One of the most satisfying aspects of collecting GA books is that you can't go to 1-2 shows and complete your collection, the only variable is price. When you collect GA books it can take several years if not your entire collecting lifetime to complete a title or a publisher. If you can't wait, then collect SA books to present books, GA books is not where you belong. More to come... Best, Ron Pussell, aka Redbeard.

Not sure that info is so much lost as it may be closely guarded?  It doesn't behoove the owners of such books to go about publicizing how common they may be. 

I know most of us newcomers to GA collecting would love to know the entire history of warehouse finds, I've made inquiries and found out little.  Although even a total newbie can look at the census for something like Startling 49 and figure out that there was probably a warehouse find or file copies. 

Edited by szavisca

16 minutes ago, sagii said:

Intriguing post.

You would be correct. The Harvey warehouse was indeed was 50s stuff, not the vintage early stuff such as wartime Speed, Champion, etc.

Welcome to the boards Ron! I guess my tireless bugging you got you to jump in the pool. You will enjoy the GA forum. Feel free to chime in any time. Us "old guys" got plenty of stories and you have some doosies!  Be nice to the newbee guys!

Many of the warehouse finds you noted, I am familiar with. I hadn't heard of the Ace or Nedor ones though. Care to elaborate?

46 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

It is indeed the Beard...

The best dealer to get your comics and wine from....:martini:

Still got any copies of Uncle Scrooge #7 for sale?

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I remember the "Poughkeepsie file copies" from getting the catalogs of the Barks' dealer (what was the name?) who did the Barks' Collector back in the 1980 (and I also remember the subsequent "Rand-McNally archives" sold by Heritage in 2005).  But, a lot of what they now call "Dell File copies" from Poughkeepsie have a distracting stamps on the cover and I've notice that ones that don't tend to have a page quality that is less than white.  Which is why I'm pretty happy with, coincidentally, a book I just got from CGC.  It's a true "Unicorn," because while it rates out tied with the highest copy (a Dell File Copy), it  (1) has better page quality (white instead ow-w) AND my copy is a subscription variant!  Yep, a subscription copy with no subscription crease that beats out a file copy.  IMHO, this is the kind of book that makes the hunt worthwhile because how many of these can there be? (Apologies for my poor picture quality, colors are much more vibrant in person):

image.thumb.png.91d5994969f15bf1ebf9fb4b77e0c2bd.png

44 minutes ago, N e r V said:

46 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Had to get out of the wine business when I found out I had liver problems from Hepatitis. That eventually turned to liver cancer and the resultant transplant this year. Couldn't stand looking at all those great wines and be unable to drink any of them. At least I got to taste almost everything up until the time I quit that would be considered the greatest wines from all over the world. I can still close my eyes and taste a great Latour.

No longer have my favorite book the Uncle Scrooge 7. I sold my Poughkeepsie file copy when I noticed that the off white pages were turning to cream color on their way to heading further south. BTW, almost all of the Poughkeepsie copies I have seen did not have a stamp, but they did suffer from discoloration. From the warehouse finds, the best page quality would be the Nedor/Better warehouse find.

That's it for tonight, back tomorrow. I get tired early and off to bed by 10:00 at the latest. Got to get my beauty sleep. Actually, the liver transplant recovery process is slow. I am told you won't feel like yourself until after 7 months and it has been only 3 months at present.

6 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

The Ace warehouse included most everything from them from the 50s. Multiple copies of all the horror titles. I don't recall seeing many Space Actions though. I would guess the find occurred in the latter 1970s. I don't know if you ever saw them at my house, but I had 6 original art horror covers from them that I got from George Hagenauer. I believe they were Baffling Mysteries and Web of Mystery covers. Interesting thing about these is they did not have the logos. Those were added later in printing. Totally different than all the other original cover art that I used to own from the GA. The Nedor warehouse came out when I  lived in Newport Beach. I remember consigning some of those Startling and Thrilling Schomburg cover books to Dave Smith's store in Garden Grove. So, I would have to say that was also in the latter 1970s. Yes Bob, it is your fault I'm on these boards. Thx old friend. You'll be mentioned in some of my upcoming posts when I talk about the days of us looking for SOTI, POP, drug stories, GGA art books along with our other old cohorts some who are no longer with us. For those that didn't know, that is how Bob Overstreet got a lot of that information on these type of books for the Price Guide. Some of the notables are Bob Barrett, Bob Nastasi, R C Holland, Carl Macek, Bob Selvig, Terry Stroud, David Alexander, etc. Wasn't it you the found the bums and bombs away one that eluded us for years. I remember I found the Jungle Comics 98.

I never saw the Ace covers but I do remember the Planet #1 cover :x  I don't remember the Ace or Nedor file copies. Maybe they were off my radar at the time. Too bad, I would really like a few of those now.

Yeah, I'm the "bums and bombs away" finder. Nastasi is still around with a store in upstate NY I believe. He was mentioned recently here and "posted" through another board member. I would be great if he came on here too. Would love to get Johnny here too. I've got pictures. I saw Terry at Rose Bowl yesterday. He gave me an earful about being shut out of SDCC.

Check out some of the other threads here in Pages back as well. LOT of topics that could be inhanced by your memories. 

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I remember the "Poughkeepsie file copies" from getting the catalogs of the Barks' dealer (what was the name?) who did the Barks' Collector back in the 1980 (and I also remember the subsequent "Rand-McNally archives" sold by Heritage in 2005).  But, a lot of what they now call "Dell File copies" from Poughkeepsie have a distracting stamps on the cover and I've notice that ones that don't tend to have a page quality that is less than white.  Which is why I'm pretty happy with, coincidentally, a book I just got from CGC.  It's a true "Unicorn," because while it rates out tied with the highest copy (a Dell File Copy), it  (1) has better page quality (white instead ow-w) AND my copy is a subscription variant!  Yep, a subscription copy with no subscription crease that beats out a file copy.  IMHO, this is the kind of book that makes the hunt worthwhile because how many of these can there be? (Apologies for my poor picture quality, colors are much more vibrant in person):

image.thumb.png.91d5994969f15bf1ebf9fb4b77e0c2bd.png

Nice book!  What distinguishes it as a subscription copy?

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

Nice book!  What distinguishes it as a subscription copy?

Subscription copies of this vintage have the subscribers address printed (not a mailing label) in a white space created on the back cover of the book for that purpose.   As a result, the art on the back covers of the book differs from regular copies.  It is neat, because you know the name and address of the original owner.  Later 1950s vintage WDC&S have the address printed on the front cover, which is not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.  

Great thread, and good to see Redbeard here. I think I bought from him ages ago, lol. 

So speaking of warehouse finds, there was a find of The Thing, #16 some years back, which is why they are so plentiful, and by that virtue don't command the bucks the other issues of the title do.

15 hours ago, Redbeard said:

No longer have my favorite book the Uncle Scrooge 7. I sold my Poughkeepsie file copy when I noticed that the off white pages were turning to cream color on their way to heading further south. BTW, almost all of the Poughkeepsie copies I have seen did not have a stamp, but they did suffer from discoloration. 

Good info on the page quality, that is consistent with what I've observed - thanks. I may be confusing the Poughkeepsie books with the ones with the Racine Wisconsin stamp:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Crime, Four Color (Series One) #21 Dick Tracy - File Copy (Dell, 1942) CGCVF+ 8.5 Cream to off-white pages....

Edited by sfcityduck