• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, so much so that he hasn't made a reappearance on these boards since this time. :frown:

Now we know who to blame if he's not allowed back on these boards again by his better half.  (tsk)  lol

No, I get busy with actual work. I own income properties and we have an eBay store. Yesterday, I talked with another old times for quite awhile, Bob Nastasi. Bob, Barrett, Bob Nastasi, R C Holland, Carl Masek and myself were the nut cases that were driven to identify all those SOTI books, a task that took many years.

Another warehouse find I failed to mention was the Famous Funnies find. Multiple copies of these, but not the very early issues. The Frazetta cover issues had already been pulled and sold to another. I have a feeling it may have been sold to Leonard Brown at Collector's Book Store at the corner of Highland and Hollywood Blvd. He always had file copies of those. I remember that John Knight and myself traded a copy of If the Devil Would Talk for all of the copies file copies of Amazing Willie Mays that were in brown manilla envelopes along with an introductory letter about the book intended for sportswriters. The Mays issue is the toughest baseball issue to find, and still is today. 

Ron, I know you're busy, but if you find the time I would like to hear more about the Ace File copies..... when was the time period for the release, what was there, etc..... / GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

It did, and as you enter the bedroom a L B Cole Cole cover. The Science 1 was at the top of the stairs as you go down to the Book Den level (3 story home). The Seven Seas 5 cover was over my computer desk. Behind me in my office was a Johnny Craig Crime Patrol cover. To my right as I sat at my desk was an S Clay Wilson painting used for the cover of Snatch Sampler. Just to the left of the Seven Seas cover was the original art work for an Avalon poster by Rick Griffin. Next to my other desk was a pre-code Russ Heath war cover. As you came into the hallway to go downstairs, there was an L B Cole recreation of a Suspense cover. As you went down the stairs you went past 6 different Ace horror covers. When you got to the bottom floor there was the Military 12 cover, turning right, was the classic Hit bear cover, and then you saw an an original Crumb one page story from a Zap issue. Heading down the hallway, there were many King and Blondie covers, one featuring Popeye. In the kitchen were two Tom and Jerry covers, one called bacon and egg. I never got around to matting and framing the Crandall covers and the Seven Seas 6. Like I said earlier on a post here, my wife a few years ago asked me why I sold those? She said she liked them. I said to her, why the heck didn't you say that when I started to sell them!?!

Jeeze! Did you let Jean hang anything on the walls?  :roflmao:

3 hours ago, Redbeard said:

It did, and as you enter the bedroom a L B Cole Cole cover. The Science 1 was at the top of the stairs as you go down to the Book Den level (3 story home). The Seven Seas 5 cover was over my computer desk. Behind me in my office was a Johnny Craig Crime Patrol cover. To my right as I sat at my desk was an S Clay Wilson painting used for the cover of Snatch Sampler. Just to the left of the Seven Seas cover was the original art work for an Avalon poster by Rick Griffin. Next to my other desk was a pre-code Russ Heath war cover. As you came into the hallway to go downstairs, there was an L B Cole recreation of a Suspense cover. As you went down the stairs you went past 6 different Ace horror covers. When you got to the bottom floor there was the Military 12 cover, turning right, was the classic Hit bear cover, and then you saw an an original Crumb one page story from a Zap issue. Heading down the hallway, there were many King and Blondie covers, one featuring Popeye. In the kitchen were two Tom and Jerry covers, one called bacon and egg. I never got around to matting and framing the Crandall covers and the Seven Seas 6. Like I said earlier on a post here, my wife a few years ago asked me why I sold those? She said she liked them. I said to her, why the heck didn't you say that when I started to sell them!?!

You forgot one.

FagoCover.jpg

2 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Another warehouse find I failed to mention was the Famous Funnies find. Multiple copies of these, but not the very early issues. The Frazetta cover issues had already been pulled and sold to another. I have a feeling it may have been sold to Leonard Brown at Collector's Book Store at the corner of Highland and Hollywood Blvd. He always had file copies of those.

I remember being at Diamond Galleries for their grand opening and seeing the Frazetta Famous Funnies file copies that Overstreet had compiled to that point in time.  :luhv:

They were absolutely gorgeous and minty fresh looking, but the only problem was that the set was not complete.  It was missing 2 of the best covers in terms of FF 213 and the FF 214 red moon cover, along with the last issue in the run.  I thought the missing copies were probably set aside in advance for one of Snyder's preferred collector friends, similar to the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 7 at the time.  From the subsequent CBM post-sales report though, it looked like this was not the case and also confirmed Richard's thinking that Famous Funnies 213 is probably one of the toughest Frazetta FF issues to find in grade.  :takeit:

3 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Give me some time on that one. I'll check around, but I'm not sure I'll turn anything up. Wish I do, there was some Lou Fine art on the Swordsman Hit cover that was not on the book. 

Keif Fromm owns the Hit #5. No idea how he wound up with it but it’s on his CAF page:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=70773

15 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Ron, I know you're busy, but if you find the time I would like to hear more about the Ace File copies..... when was the time period for the release, what was there, etc..... / GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The find was in the either in the late 1970s or the early 1980s. It was books from the late 1940s into the 1950s. It was all their titles. I don't remember seeing too many Space Actions. Very desirable title. But, all the horror, humor, western, war, funny animal and romance was found in plentiful supply. As usual with warehouse finds, page quality ranged from off white down.

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Jeeze! Did you let Jean hang anything on the walls?  :roflmao:

Yep, but I pretty much dominated the wall space. Don't forget, I got heavily into underwater photography. Jean doesn't collect anything like Cindy does, so there are no things she really wanted to hang up or put in our rooms.

14 hours ago, adamstrange said:

You forgot one.

FagoCover.jpg

I guess I did, but I don't remember if that was hanging in the house. Thx for the reminder. I was lucky because there weren't too many people after GA original comic cover art when I was collecting them. I remember that I usually paid $1K or less for the Lou Fine covers. I just remembered I also had several Joe Palooka covers, and a Katy Keene cover.

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I remember being at Diamond Galleries for their grand opening and seeing the Frazetta Famous Funnies file copies that Overstreet had compiled to that point in time.  :luhv:

They were absolutely gorgeous and minty fresh looking, but the only problem was that the set was not complete.  It was missing 2 of the best covers in terms of FF 213 and the FF 214 red moon cover, along with the last issue in the run.  I thought the missing copies were probably set aside in advance for one of Snyder's preferred collector friends, similar to the Allentown copy of Wonderworld 7 at the time.  From the subsequent CBM post-sales report though, it looked like this was not the case and also confirmed Richard's thinking that Famous Funnies 213 is probably one of the toughest Frazetta FF issues to find in grade.  :takeit:

Thx, good info.

1 minute ago, Redbeard said:

Great piece I never located. That was considered a classic cover before the other Hit covers came to be called that. Thx for the info.

I am troubled after looking at that image. Did he use PhotoShop to lighten the image of the cover in the image shown of him holding the piece? I have never seen a GA cover so perfectly white with the page edges in such perfect condition. Also I can  detect no white out on the page, Lou used white out to correct things when he wished. The only artist that I have come across that never used white out is Robert Crumb. He never corrected what he initially drew. In addition, the logo was usually attached after onto the art, and not part of the art. Makes me very, very suspicious of provenance of this piece. This would not be the first time if true that there are forgeries. There was a guy that forged Science 1, a Planet cover, a Master cover by Raboy, a Frazetta Ghost Rider cover and he even did a forgery of a Margaret Brundage pastel painting used on an issue of Weird Tales.

2 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

My favorite player growing up.  Still hanging in there at 87.

lf_zpsuncsm4zo.JPG

Interesting words in the letter: " ... the effort being made by the sincere element of the comic magazine to produce wholesome ..."

Yep.  Seduction of the Innocent had been published just a few months before.

1 minute ago, Redbeard said:

I am troubled after looking at that image. Did he use PhotoShop to lighten the image of the cover in the image shown of him holding the piece? I have never seen a GA cover so perfectly white with the page edges in such perfect condition. Also I can  detect no white out on the page, Lou used white out to correct things when he wished. The only artist that I have come across that never used white out is Robert Crumb. He never corrected what he initially drew. In addition, the logo was usually attached after onto the art, and not part of the art. Makes me very, very suspicious of provenance of this piece. This would not be the first time if true that there are forgeries. There was a guy that forged Science 1, a Planet cover, a Master cover by Raboy, a Frazetta Ghost Rider cover and he even did a forgery of a Margaret Brundage pastel painting used on an issue of Weird Tales.

Perhaps I am wrong on the Hit 5. The image in the gallery photo contains no logo making it possible. The 2nd image of him holding the piece at a show is not the piece of art. Possibly a stat.